Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91070 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »

Poking back in here to drop one last Story Point rename idea :P — Insight

As you gain experience, you gain insight into the world which can allow you to pull off extraordinary actions.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 05, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »

How well would a sixth tier work out? Along with doubled level cap of course.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 22, 2020, 04:58:35 AM »

Fear not. Level cap mods are the sort of thing that happens within a week of release.

#Negi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 30, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »

I REALLY like the idea of perm hull mods, as one of the things that this game has been missing in my eyes is the EV feel of "this is MY ship" and that should help with it.  Giving me a reason to care about the a specific ship or hull, which i'm hoping combined with the ability to focus more on frigates at least allows us to make some of the "missing" ship roles (like having a very powerful frigate/destroyer for some of the tech classes).

I really dislike them, as it gives me an even stronger reason to reload a save if one of my 'special ships' is lost.  It also disincentives experimentation; I could pick up that new ship I've never seen before, or I could use an actually good ship thanks to all my permamods..  The system actively encourages swapping out ships, selling old ships that are now junk d-mods from lost battles (when money is tight), and this new system discourages both trying new things and losing battles, they're at odds with each other. 

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2021, 06:03:49 PM »

I really dislike them, as it gives me an even stronger reason to reload a save if one of my 'special ships' is lost.  It also disincentives experimentation; I could pick up that new ship I've never seen before, or I could use an actually good ship thanks to all my permamods..  The system actively encourages swapping out ships, selling old ships that are now junk d-mods from lost battles (when money is tight), and this new system discourages both trying new things and losing battles, they're at odds with each other.
Same here.  Everything I thought about story points (with regards to ships) before the release came to pass exactly as I feared.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:05:38 PM by Megas »

dondon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »

On the one hand I am intrigued by new systems, on the other my moneky brain is *** and undecided, since I really want two skills from the same tier to roleplay as a space smuggler

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #486 on: March 30, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »

I REALLY like the idea of perm hull mods, as one of the things that this game has been missing in my eyes is the EV feel of "this is MY ship" and that should help with it.  Giving me a reason to care about the a specific ship or hull, which i'm hoping combined with the ability to focus more on frigates at least allows us to make some of the "missing" ship roles (like having a very powerful frigate/destroyer for some of the tech classes).

Hmm. My thoughts:
The issues involving s-mods being a sunk cost aren't too big individually; e.g. you can test a new ship in a few battles even if it's strictly weaker than an old s-modded ship. Perma-losing a ship already cost a potentially hefty chunk of credits before, but both credits and (with RC12) story points are renewable resources, although losing both at once definitely increases the hurt.

But together they add up in the direction of "once a ship gets s-modded it stays in the fleet forever".

I wonder how well it'd work if you could uninstall S-mods for a partial refund, and losing S-modded ships without recovery did the same?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 30, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »

I've switched out elite skills to other skills, and just retired 4 double S mod ships. It stung... and then was fine. I'm getting more, I have some in reserve, and the changes increased my total fleet power. Its just like last version with ships: there was no reason to fear losing a ship because more ships are always coming. More story points are always coming, any setback is temporary.

The only thing to fear about spending or "losing" story points is fear itself.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »

I wonder how well it'd work if you could uninstall S-mods for a partial refund, and losing S-modded ships without recovery did the same?
Any problem caused by story points can be solved with more story points.
I think a more immersive solution is to place your S-modded ships on the auction market or to an interested party. The ship sells as an "Elite Model" for a modest amount of cash, but mostly they grant you story perks in the form of Bonus XP. You lose the ship, but you get some green refund so it's okay.

#Negi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 06, 2021, 09:54:44 PM »

Hmm. My thoughts:
The issues involving s-mods being a sunk cost aren't too big individually; e.g. you can test a new ship in a few battles even if it's strictly weaker than an old s-modded ship. Perma-losing a ship already cost a potentially hefty chunk of credits before, but both credits and (with RC12) story points are renewable resources, although losing both at once definitely increases the hurt.

But together they add up in the direction of "once a ship gets s-modded it stays in the fleet forever".

Possibly, but I hear story points get scarce as the exp to level up increases.  Can't confirm that though, I haven't played 0.95a enough, I went back to 0.91a to wait for mods to update.  Nex is life.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 07, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »

This is no longer the case - late game story point gain got multiplied by 2.5 iirc, and its giving me a point every fight or every other fight depending on difficulty.

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 08, 2021, 08:16:59 AM »

I'm still sitting on over 40 million bonus XP once at the level cap, as I'm using up story points about as fast as I get them. There's enough things to spend story points on that even a 100% bonus doesn't feel fast enough, and my SP surplus slowly dwindled the further the endgame went.

FelixG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 20, 2021, 04:09:48 AM »

Annnyway. Is there any thing like this in the works/planned?

There isn't, sorry :) A phase capital, on the other hand, hmmm...

Re: story points and skills, investing in any of the aptitudes creates more opportunities to spend story points. For combat it's obvious with the elite skills. For leadership, one of the skills grants your officers an extra elite skill (or you get more officers), so in either case, that's more points that could be spent there.

There's more than one fighter-related personal skill.
That's good enough...

Agreed, the fighter tree needs to be REALLY brought back from 9.1, even if some of the abilities like fighter damage reduction need to be an elited skill. Possibly rebalance the combat tree to be carrier or direct combatant, you have to choose to specialize in one or the other. As it stands now carriers kinda suck.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »

I hope you will remove story points from scavenging. It really hurts the scavenger carreer... in fact it basically removes it from the game.

Mainly because story points for scavenge makes no sense. I saw several times tiny useless ships heavily damaged (systems and hull) that needed story point to get... why would I pay a SP for a useless ship... even brand new I would not even use that (or sell it since they give no money, even early game. Cost too much supplies to be worth it.). And then I see a big very useful battleship, in fact one of my favorites, hanging there in hyperspace where I can salvage it for not SP at all and it has absolutely no system damage and quite repairable hull damage. It makes no sense. I hate random trash. Please, no more SP for scavenging except in dialogs and other game story related events.

Please remove the need for SP when scavenging, I would like to play scavengers again in Starsector.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:36:18 PM by Greywolf2001ca »

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 01, 2021, 05:38:44 AM »

I hope you will remove story points from scavenging. It really hurts the scavenger carreer... in fact it basically removes it from the game.

Mainly because story points for scavenge makes no sense. I saw several times tiny useless ships heavily damaged (systems and hull) that needed story point to get... why would I pay a SP for a useless ship... even brand new I would not even use that (or sell it since they give no money, even early game. Cost too much supplies to be worth it.). And then I see a big very useful battleship, in fact one of my favorites, hanging there in hyperspace where I can salvage it for not SP at all and it has absolutely no system damage and quite repairable hull damage. It makes no sense. I hate random trash. Please, no more SP for scavenging except in dialogs and other game story related events.

Please remove the need for SP when scavenging, I would like to play scavengers again in Starsector.

SP for scavenging is only for ships that you couldn't normally scavenge. It adds options to scavenging, not removes them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:40:42 AM by Carabus »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]