Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 92010 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Skills and Story Points
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:29 AM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:08:21 AM by Alex »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »

The "Opening one door and closing another" skill choosing irked me for a bit, but I'm glad you can still get the other skills at a later point.
I'm excited! ;D

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »

Story Points are an awesome idea, but if they're gained by leveling up and the level cap is only 15 you're still limited majorly by the maximum story points available, even with bonus experience.  Unless, that is, you can keep "leveling" beyond 15 just without skill points, or can gain Story Points in other ways... Which might be implied by the name? :-X

e: oh, you addressed that and I missed it somehow! Awesome!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:29:08 AM by Vayra »
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »

The "Opening one door and closing another" skill choosing irked me for a bit, but I'm glad you can still get the other skills at a later point.
I'm excited! ;D

:D

Story Points are an awesome idea, but if they're gained by leveling up and the level cap is only 15 you're still limited majorly by the maximum story points available, even with bonus experience.  Unless, that is, you can keep "leveling" beyond 15 just without skill points, or can gain Story Points in other ways... Which might be implied by the name? :-X

Yeah, it says in the post - you keep gaining story points after reaching max level!

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »

Yeah, it says in the post - you keep gaining story points after reaching max level!

You think of everything!  ;D
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »

Are story points theoretically unlimited?  It seems like if player runs out, he can grind longer to get more.

Will bringing AI-piloted ships attract patrols like smuggling contraband?  I guess it also brings the question of possible AI betrayal, but that would probably be mildly hidden like alpha colonies.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »

Are story points theoretically unlimited?  It seems like if player runs out, he can grind longer to get more.

Right, since you keep gaining them past the maximum level, they're unlimited.

Will bringing AI-piloted ships attract patrols like smuggling contraband?  I guess it also brings the question of possible AI betrayal, but that would probably be mildly hidden like alpha colonies.

At the moment no on all counts, but we'll see.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »

Really like the changes, and more importantly, the logic behind them.  While no doubt there may still be some tweaking I think the reasoning going into all this should lead to a more interesting experience. 

Story points as a resource to allow limited interaction in a bunch of different things is especially nice and should help lower some of the min maxy stuff you sometimes have to do (lets play hunt down the cautions/aggressive officer!)

I REALLY like the idea of perm hull mods, as one of the things that this game has been missing in my eyes is the EV feel of "this is MY ship" and that should help with it.  Giving me a reason to care about the a specific ship or hull, which i'm hoping combined with the ability to focus more on frigates at least allows us to make some of the "missing" ship roles (like having a very powerful frigate/destroyer for some of the tech classes).

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »

Sorry, I am still gloating at the Redacted ships and officers in the player fleet. I know I need to read the rest of the post, but...

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »

Well, that opens up a lot of options and it addresses a lot of murky things such as officer personalities. In all, I'm very pleased, it seems like a very interesting system. I think what excites me the most is not even the story points, but the specialized skill points that will make each run unique. For example, the hard flux for short ranged beams skill there has already made me start thinking of some interesting loadouts geared for that.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is, well, the name "story points". When I first started reading the blog I thought it'd be related to plot events or missions but it is completely detached from that. I feel it might be a little confusing for a new player.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »

While reading I was at first like "man, less levels again" ... but at the end of the blog post I'm quite intrigued.
Of course I'll have to play with this to be sure, but thinking about it for a bit, it sounds pretty good.

The story points open up pretty much endless possibilities and you never really stop progressing, but not in a broken way.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »

Maybe call them action points?

Also noticed no more dead aptitudes!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

I REALLY like the idea of perm hull mods, as one of the things that this game has been missing in my eyes is the EV feel of "this is MY ship" and that should help with it.  Giving me a reason to care about the a specific ship or hull

Yeah, that's exactly the idea, and I really hope it works out this way in practice! Likewise with mentoring, hopefully it'll lead to a bit more of a connection with that officer, too.

Sorry, I am still gloating at the Redacted ships and officers in the player fleet. I know I need to read the rest of the post, but...

Fair enough :)

Well, that opens up a lot of options and it addresses a lot of murky things such as officer personalities. In all, I'm very pleased, it seems like a very interesting system. I think what excites me the most is not even the story points, but the specialized skill points that will make each run unique. For example, the hard flux for short ranged beams skill there has already made me start thinking of some interesting loadouts geared for that.

Cool!

The only thing I'm not too keen on is, well, the name "story points". When I first started reading the blog I thought it'd be related to plot events or missions but it is completely detached from that. I feel it might be a little confusing for a new player.

I can see how it might look that way in the context of the blog post, but that's not the same as seeing it in game, I don't think. The name is meant to be kind of 4th-wall-breaking, btw, since the mechanic really is a meta-mechanic, and it seems like a good idea to be upfront about that.

While reading I was at first like "man, less levels again" ... but at the end of the blog post I'm quite intrigued.
Of course I'll have to play with this to be sure, but thinking about it for a bit, it sounds pretty good.

I'll take it :)

The story points open up pretty much endless possibilities and you never really stop progressing, but not in a broken way.

Oh, I'm sure *some* of it will be broken, but hopefully I'll be able to sort it out :D

Super excited about the possibilities, though, especially since they're real, relatively-easy-to-implement possibilities, rather than more theoretical/far-off ones, if that makes sense.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »

Could I use story points to do stuff to my faction/colonies? Like faction wide/fleet wide hull mod instillation? Orders to invade a system? Diplomacy? Change my faction colour from blue to anything else?

Not that this all should be a major thing.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SteelSoldier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 11:41:57 AM »

I actually like this system more because it's more intuitive, I know there might be quite a few people that don't like the levels being limited or the new level up system but I think it's a step in the right direction, I sort of wish it was possible to have 3 skills per tier or at certain tiers as choices but that might be pushing it a bit
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33