Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91108 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2019, 07:32:35 AM »

Yes and no :)

DarkerThanBlack

• Ensign
  • void
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »

Wow, thank you for the quick response. The scrolling aptitude UI is more than I'd hope for :)
Thank you! Every answer you've provided is basically the most ideal response :O, amazing. Looking forward to the update.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »

Yes and no :)
Guess that makes sense, since that "add to built-in limit" smells like WhizKid from DoomRL.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 09, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »

Really liking the look of this Alex! (I haven't played much since 0.7-ish and the game has come so far. Loving all the additions!)

I've only read part way through all the pages but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to allow picking the second choice in a tier if all previous choices in tiers are picked(instead of the wrap around)? i.e. after choosing in a tier, your next pick can either be the other choice in that tier or the next tier.

It would mean the same number of points invested to 'double-up' and get those 2 tier 5 skills but if wanted the player could choose breadth instead of depth.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 16, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »

Please make permanent logistical hullmods not count towards the limit. Story points costs for permanent logistical hullmods should be higher than normal. permanent hullmods.

Not sure how well this idea would work. Non-piloted ship skills can be made elite but instead of giving bonuses, they unlock hullmods and colony structures.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 17, 2019, 04:43:31 AM »

The particulars of using story points to boost ship loadouts will come down to play testing. Start with crazy, then let the players decide what ends up being too much to handle. We're talking about an in-game resource that essentially lets players "mod" their game, after all. ;)

If players are limited to say 1 bonus system, then they'll choose the biggest system they can get. Reinforced armor is up to 40 OP that players would love to get into their ships for free.There aren't many logistic hull mods to pick from and the player rarely hits the limit, so two logistic mods is usually good enough. But if the player is spending valuable points, they should probably get a bonus third slot for their trouble.

I don't see any real problem with letting players load all the logistic mods. There are diminishing returns after picking all the choice options, so if you say want expanded fuel and cargo on an afflictor then more power to ya I guess. Even if the military hull mod options are unlimited, they'll always compete against using those points for other features. Giving all the features to one ship may be overpowered, but giving the best options to many ships is going to be far more economical use of your story points. There's no real balance dilemma with keeping the option open, at least.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2019, 07:08:08 PM »

So I just read the blog.  Very, very interesting!

Do we have an approximate release date or did I miss the download link somewhere
 I hope it's the latter  ;)
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 18, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Do we have an approximate release date or did I miss the download link somewhere
When it is nearly ready, Alex will post patch notes. Sad to say, going off of previous versions, this release is quite a ways off
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 18, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »

When it is nearly ready, Alex will post patch notes. Sad to say, going off of previous versions, this release is quite a ways off

Cries in Atlas being harder to find in a shipyard than a Paragon
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »

Bit of a necro, just 2 notes on story points:
  • The XP boost mechanic is a bit convoluted IMO, an alternative could be to award something like 10 instead of 1 and adjust the prices accordingly. Frigate hullmod would cost 2 or 3, for example.
    Same thing, just easier to understand.
  • As was already mentioned, the naming is clunky. Kinda describes what they do but it also reminds you that you are the one in front of the computer, not the one in the spaceship

Overall nice changes, and an interesting read!

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »

I know I'm late to the party but I just got redirected via a mod discussion and read the blog myself.  If I might pitch in my two cents:

(Ahem)

DADDY LIKE.  DADDY WANT.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »

this sounds epic and i cant wait to see what u can use the story points on outside of hullmods and escaping!

jwarper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »

Just jumped back into Starsector after being away since 2013!  Needless to say, it has come a long way!  Wow.   Really amazing work so far, and after reading about what the skill/story point update will bring I am super excited.  This will really allow for more diverse playstyles to develop and extend the RPG capabilities of Starsector even further.  Really exiting stuff Alex! When is this coming out?  I can't wait!   ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »

Ha, welcome back and thank you! "When it's ready", I'm afraid :)

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »

Hello Alex, just got into the game about two weeks ago and have been loving it!
I made an account specifically to ask (or suggest, if it wasn't considered) whether or not you might provide elite upgrades to skills outside the combat tree (for the same price, or higher if you so desire, but that cost being story points)? I believe an earlier comment mentioned hullmods that might boost ships. While I think hullmods are too cheap for things that boost skills (they only cost OP, a free resource if you bring an extra ship or two), perhaps boosting a skill to elite might provide a simple bonus to the normal skill, some examples provided by SonnaBanana when he said "increase the maximum of Carrier Group from 6 to 8, or increase the number of Automated Ships in your fleet". I just personally don't use combat skills very often (I'm terrible with the KB/M and don't pilot my own ships) and think that the elite system would be welcome to more than just personal piloting (although it might take a little bit more lore gymnastics to justify).
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33