Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would like a groundside comm station  (Read 2607 times)

Dreamyr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Would like a groundside comm station
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »

So In my current game I have a lovely little system that has a Desert planet with plentiful organics and good farmland, a Volcanic with ultrarich ores and a cryovolcanic with a good source of volatiles(and another one with a marginal supply) but there's one problem. It has no system sites to build a comm relay or anything else. What I would like to suggest is adding a groundbased comm station to the game that would take a building slot. My primary interest in it is having access to the market and having bounties and missions up to date. I'd be perfectly content with the +1 stability being removed for balance purposes. You could even explain it away as a ground station having less bandwidth than a space based station and prioritizing military and commercial channels.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Would like a groundside comm station
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »

Hmm, interesting idea! Let me make a note to look at it at some point. Would need to think it through.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »

It should cost an industry slot, or it can be another benefit for Commerce (which needs help).

Even with a military presence in the system, comm relays can be lost temporarily, and losing two stability among other unwanted events like pirate activity, can cause stability to drop below ten for a while.  Having baseline stability guaranteed instead of -1 if the relay is lost would be good, too good without significant cost.

Dreamyr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »

Well like I said for me personally even without the stability boost just the ability to be able to check prices and see new bounties would for me be enough. This was basically my idea for trying to remove the hassle of going to another system just to get a market/bounty refresh. Right now off in my little corner of the sector all I see are pirate station bounties and no others as well as no prices or missions due to a lack of comm access.

I could definitely see it as part of a commercial upgrade as well to like a stock market or something that would need access to the hypercomm network too.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »

This would be a decent building in an industry slot. It + Military Base makes for an ideal "support rock", IE an otherwise bad planet that is colonized in order to make the other planets in system better. Personally I think thats a good thing, as building a set of mutually supportive colonies is something I enjoy doing.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »

I would consider comms essential. Why should a glorified radar dish count as an industry slot? Industry is meant for... wait for it... industry!

If necessary, make it just for intel updates and remove the stability bonus if it's a planet-side structure.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 11:56:45 PM »

Didn't the lore say comm station can't be built on colonized planets because hyper space communication causes cancer?

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »

I think a better solution would be making it so every system has stable points.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33:43 AM »

I think a better solution would be making it so every system has stable points.

That's also a very reasonable idea.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:52:13 AM »

Didn't the lore say comm station can't be built on colonized planets because hyper space communication causes cancer?

If you wanted that bit of lore added just add a -growth to the building, Radiation is a 50% hazard right, so similar to that.  Or maybe it could just flat out add the irradiated mod to the planet.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »

+50% hazard is -4 growth right there.

Aside, Decivilized seems worse than Pollution when the extra hazard offsets a big chunk of the growth bonus.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »

It should cost an industry slot, or it can be another benefit for Commerce (which needs help).

Even with a military presence in the system, comm relays can be lost temporarily, and losing two stability among other unwanted events like pirate activity, can cause stability to drop below ten for a while.  Having baseline stability guaranteed instead of -1 if the relay is lost would be good, too good without significant cost.

It could also/should also be a subset of a starbase. So if the starbase goes off line the backup comm system goes offline.

There are legitimate reasons why a comm relay would need to be in space (atmospheric interference being a big one) and so having a backup comm system that was "attached" to the starbase could definitely work

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 11:13:48 AM »

Or rather than being part of a star base, it could be a separate structure that is just an empty satellite shell, with functionality given by slotting in an item found though exploration like the nanoforges - you could find miniaturized comm/nav/sensor relays, or even something like a one or two way hyperspace link (for those colonies that are days from hyperspace nodes).

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

Not necessarily "part" in the building slot sense. But "part" in the "requires an operational starbase" sense.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »

Well like I said for me personally even without the stability boost just the ability to be able to check prices and see new bounties would for me be enough. This was basically my idea for trying to remove the hassle of going to another system just to get a market/bounty refresh. Right now off in my little corner of the sector all I see are pirate station bounties and no others as well as no prices or missions due to a lack of comm access.

The game should give this information just by having a spaceport. Ships come, ships go, and news travels with them.
Pages: [1] 2