Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Mouse clicks while saving result in CTD  (Read 960 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a-RC8] Mouse clicks while saving result in CTD
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »

As the title says. This is an old issue that I was hoping would disappear as this really kills fun for me. SS is very touchy with saving and you're basically not allowed to switch windows (if you are playing windowed fullscreen), do any clicks or otherwise touch anything while it saves. When a CTD happens, the resulting save may be okay, or it may be corrupt.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:38:08 AM by Schwartz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a-RC8] Mouse clicks while saving result in CTD
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »

Is this vanilla or with mods? If with mods including GraphicsLib: can you try disabling it in its settings?

If vanilla (or with mods), can you try setting processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading to false in settings.json? I have a feeling this might resolve the issue for you.

(If not, I'd suggest trying compatibility mode or a graphics driver update; the game does something... not fancy, exactly, but it has to switch graphics contexts around between threads and my guess is either the OS or the graphics driver is not handling it for some reason. But hopefully the processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading setting will resolve it in any case.)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »

Yes, this is with GraphicsLib, but I have "enableShaders":false set for FPS reasons. So it should be fully disabled.

I'll give the setting a go, thanks!
The graphics driver is fairly up to date, but I'll try the most recent one. Seeing how long ago I remember this happening though, even with the old card, I'm not sure if the graphics driver can fix it.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »

Looks like with this setting, the window turns grey and I get 'Java SE is not responding' popup.. but it comes back eventually and saves fine. Massive improvement over a crash.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »

Right, yeah - this setting controls whether the game will try to poll the operating system for "messages" (input, etc) while saving. This is also how windows determines that a program is not hung - if it hasn't polled for iirc 5 seconds, windows does the "turn program window gray, say it's not responding" thing, but this is not actually an issue and everything is working properly under the hood, and is *not* taking any longer to do save than it would normally.

Glad this did it for you!