Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UI  (Read 1226 times)

koprus

• Ensign
  • Just noob mercy
    • View Profile
UI
« on: June 17, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »

Hi there, currently on my new 2k monitor i can barely see any fonts from 1m away and i cant imagine how illegible a 10 pixel "A" letter will be on a 4k one.
Is there any work being done on the UI for some kind of 2x or 4x scaling? (or any plan for 1.0) Even the skill icons need 2 tabs and use only 1/6 of the bottom screen row.
Yes i know i can use fullscreen at a lower resolution but its a PC and i use it for many things at the same time making it extremely counter productive and a real pain.

I also noticed that on the codex screen there is some kind of "retro scanline look" on the ship sprites that makes them look bigger and more retro,
Any chance enabling that filter for the whole game with a config option? That scanline thing looks amazing - its a pity to remain only on that codex screen.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: UI
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 08:03:58 AM »

Hi there, currently on my new 2k monitor i can barely see any fonts from 1m away and i cant imagine how illegible a 10 pixel "A" letter will be on a 4k one.
Is there any work being done on the UI for some kind of 2x or 4x scaling? (or any plan for 1.0) Even the skill icons need 2 tabs and use only 1/6 of the bottom screen row.

No work currently being done, though I could see eventually doing some scaling - not just of the UI (which is an impractical amount of work/content etc, since it implies the rest of the game needs to support native 4k), but of the game as a whole. Still, I wouldn't necessarily hold out for that; it's something I'm thinking about rather than planning, if that makes sense.

Yes i know i can use fullscreen at a lower resolution but its a PC and i use it for many things at the same time making it extremely counter productive and a real pain.

Hmm - is it that bad, at this point? I remember some years back tabbing between a fullscreen app and another window was time-consuming and crashy, but that seems to have been pretty much addressed by the OS/drivers. There's a difference, for sure, but at least in my experience it's been something like a second and overall felt pretty smooth.

I certainly don't mean to minimize your experience; just trying to get a better perspective on it. In any case, yeah, for the time being, fullscreen at a lower resolution is the supported way to play at 4k. The game will not actually let you select your native resolution on a 4k monitor without tweaking the config file; the UI isn't the only thing that kind of breaks down at that point and native 4k is not officially supported.

(On the bright side, you *are* getting better performance doing it this way than you would if the game ran at a higher resolution and did the scaling in-game...)

I also noticed that on the codex screen there is some kind of "retro scanline look" on the ship sprites that makes them look bigger and more retro,
Any chance enabling that filter for the whole game with a config option? That scanline thing looks amazing - its a pity to remain only on that codex screen.

Hmm. You know, I'm pretty partial to the scanline thing myself. So... maybe? I could see just doing this on a lark when I'm not feeling super responsible :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:18:32 AM »

Alex, you really should address UI scaling issue sooner than later. This isn't 2011 anymore.
As for alt tabbing — at 1080p, it's easy, painless and saves me from the bore of long-distance travel. I never had any issues with it.

koprus

• Ensign
  • Just noob mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »

Hmm - is it that bad, at this point? I remember some years back tabbing between a fullscreen app and another window was time-consuming and crashy, but that seems to have been pretty much addressed by the OS/drivers. There's a difference, for sure, but at least in my experience it's been something like a second and overall felt pretty smooth.

I am currently using a multi-monitor setup and in windows7, whenever you fullscreen an application or even a video on another screen and use an app like starsector fullscreen with non-native resolution it screws with the other monitors and displaces the windows. (no idea if windows 10 fixes that or if it is an nvidia issue).

Try this:
Youtube fullscreen on monitor 2 and srarsector non-native fullscreen on monitor 1, monitor 2 becomes off focus and unwatchable.
The fact that you are thinking about it is good enought for me, i like this game a lot and fullscreen solves my problem for now despite the shortcomings.

Hmm. You know, I'm pretty partial to the scanline thing myself. So... maybe? I could see just doing this on a lark when I'm not feeling super responsible :)

That would be and look really awesome! Wouldn't that also be like a partial fix for the scaling problem by making things look larger too? (i think it makes sprites 1/3 larger in the codex screen)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:52:00 AM by koprus »

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »

Quote from: koprus

As a note, I have a 4k monitor and run SS windowed at one of the larger resolutions available that isn't quite 4k (I think windowed 2k). I don't have any major issues reading fonts as-is, but I also have really good eyesight so maybe the small fonts just don't put me off as much?

Quote from: koprus
I am currently using a multi-monitor setup and in windows7, whenever you fullscreen an application or even a video on another screen and use an app like starsector fullscreen with non-native resolution it screws with the other monitors and displaces the windows. (no idea if windows 10 fixes that or if it is an nvidia issue).

I have Win10, and fullscreening games with a lower resolution than my native desktop still tends to resize and displace any other windows I have open at the time. And occasionally it will cause issues where other windows visually resized but still have button locations where they were at the original size. Because of this and the physical pain of seeing something in sub-2k resolution on a 4k monitor, I also refuse to fullscreen at lower resolutions.

Even though I haven't encountered it myself yet, auto-scaling (or even a manual option for scaling 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x, etc) is always useful to stop these issues with illegible text at larger resolutions.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »

Ahh, gotcha, thank you (both) for elaborating regarding the multi-monitor issue. Wasn't thinking about that and that does indeed sound pretty annoying. I'd imagine not *too* many people (as far as "fraction of player base") have that kind of setup, but even so, yeah, this definitely bumps up the priority of this a bit in my mind.

Alex, you really should address UI scaling issue sooner than later. This isn't 2011 anymore.

(Just to make sure - per my initial response, not talking about UI scaling here, which is not practical, but rather scaling everything. Probably just a wording issue, though.)

That would be and look really awesome! Wouldn't that also be like a partial fix for the scaling problem by making things look larger too? (i think it makes sprites 1/3 larger in the codex screen)

Well, the sprites looking larger is unrelated to the scanline overlay effect - they're just rendered larger in that screen, for whatever historical reason. The Codex is pretty old code at this point and one of the things that needs quite a bit of an overhaul!

You're right that the scanlines help hide any blurring from upscaling, though - but I wouldn't want to commit to that as a general-purpose approach to scaling.