Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which fleet doctrine do you use?  (Read 9221 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Which fleet doctrine do you use?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Right now, I only want Aggressive officer if I want to sic a Conquest with Storm Needlers at the enemy.  (There may be other good loadouts that require Aggressive AI to use properly.)  Otherwise, I prefer Steady behavior for most combats, especially when the enemy has the force advantage.  If I wanted full blown carrier fleet like that Drover fleet with Sparks, I probably want Cautious.  If I wanted to build a joke pilum fleet full of Vigilance and Falcon (P)s, I would use Timid if that were possible.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »

I prefer Steady behavior for most combats
Same.
If I wanted to build a joke pilum fleet full of Vigilance and Falcon (P)s, I would use Timid if that were possible.
It is possible. It works. And it is an edifying experience.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »

@ Serenitis: By possible, I meant via fleet doctrine or anything that does not require Officer Management 3 and ten Timid captains dedicated to the job.  Most cowardly behavior allowed by fleet doctrine is Cautious.  Speaking of Officer Management, that is one of the first skills on the chopping block with a skill point crunch.  I might get one if I can squeeze a single point, but no more.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:59:43 AM by Megas »

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 12:46:26 AM »

Steady and almost nothing else, including any officers I hire or pick up. In theory Cautious officers would be the perfect choice for ships with ATC (Paragon, Arachne from SWP), but the AI fails utterly at handling ships with bad flux dissipation, and sticks them out in front of my deployed ships formation - which is well inside enemy weapons range which gets them overloaded and killed every time. I optimistically assume that micromanaging such ships with separately placed orders with regards to their range but I doubt it will work as intended.

Timid is useless. Aggressive is situational, which is why the toggleable Full Assault order is an amazing addition which works so good if you know when to hut it. Aggressive officers are also a good choice for overdriven ships. Reckless is a liability, but it works well for AI faction fleets who would thematically make great use of such doctrine, like the Luddic Path.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 04:11:50 AM »

Steady. Often enough they take way too long to kill targets, even when the enemy is much weaker, but I'd rather have that than lose ships. :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 05:50:59 AM »

Another reason I like to default to Steady:  If I put my ship on autopilot, it behaves like Steady, regardless of actual fleet doctrine.  I can put Reckless for fleet doctrine, but my flagship on autopilot behaves as Steady.  (e.g., Conquest refuses to get close enough to use Storm Needlers effectively.  Something Aggressive or Reckless AI have no problem with.)

Your fleet commander is locked at Steady, but it is hidden and not shown by the game.
Pages: 1 [2]