Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which fleet doctrine do you use?  (Read 9218 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Which fleet doctrine do you use?
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »

I tend to bump mine up to 'aggressive' to encourage the unled ships a bit, and I think in general it helps. I'm considering doing a run where I run a true SO fleet and bump everyone to reckless, though its hard to find reckless officers to match.

How about you?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Which fleet doctrine do you use?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »

I default to Steady because that what it has been before fleet doctrine was available.

If there was a way to put Aggressive on some warships, Steady on others, Cautious on carriers, and Timid on missileships - without Officers - then I would consider different.  Otherwise, I try to build ships that work with Steady.  I tend to have a balance of warships and carriers, and what would work for warships may not work for carriers.

Full times when I really need aggression, I toggle Full Assault.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »

A question I have is what is the difference between Aggressive and Reckless.  I tried both on Conquest with Storm Needlers, and it seemed to behave identically.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

When I was doing testing for the tourney, I found the primary difference to be that aggressive would happily close to brawling range on single targets it thinks it can take, but is hesitant to enter into regions that are too dangerous. Reckless ignores enemy threats and will just charge in.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 11:07:18 AM »

I take steady because the AI plays well with it across the board. If I could stick aggressive only on phase ships and armor tanks, I would.

Electrum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »

Yeah it seems like Reckless just make them not give a single f*** about how dangerous their assignment is. Aggressive makes them want to go in guns blazing, but it wont be suicidal. In my experience, anyway.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

I find an aggressive doctrine works best when your ships are one to one superior to the enemy's ships. When you've got optimized custom loadouts and fleet boosting skills, and your unofficered ships can win just about any 1v1 with an unofficered ship in the same size class and retreat from anything they can't kill, aggressive gives them the confidence to push their advantage. If you're running a zombie fleet or you're earlygame and don't have nice things, steady is better so your terrible ships don't get themselves into too much trouble.

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »

errr... how do you set your fleet doctrine?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »

It's in the colony fleet customization tab; I don't remember exactly what it's called, but IIRC you get to it by pressing D then 4. The fleet aggressiveness slider is at the bottom left, below all the other sliders.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »

Related:  What behavior do you use for officers?

So far, on my character with no Officer Management (so far), I use one Cautious for a carrier (usually Astral) and three Steady.  I might change one of Steadies to Aggressive if I want him on Conquest or other ship that needs it to use short-ranged loadouts well.

If I get Officer Management 1, I probably get a second Cautious for another carrier and another Steady for general use (unless I need that extra for one Aggressive).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »

For my fleet: aggressive if I run an elite fleet, steady most of the time, cautious if I have destroyers and/or frigates in my endgame fleet for some reason. In case of officers, it depends on my ships, I tend to go with whatever personality benefits them the most, which typically means aggressive on warships and steady/cautious on carriers; timid is fine for support ships, but I will not spend an officer on such unimportant ships (I just get a mod that lets me change behaviour on a per ship basis).

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »

I greatly prefer having aggressive officers across the board. Officer skills make ships much better, and I want them to take advantage of that. 90% of the time an officered ship will be able to win the engagements it wants to get into, and the other 10% of the time is what avoid orders are for.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »

I go for aggressive and reckless officers whenever I can find them, but I'll purchase steady as well because sometimes officers are rare. I might consider a cautious officer for a carrier, but honestly I'd prefer steady for non-combat carriers and agressive for combat. Or reckless for an SO Mora, but thats mainly a silly build rather than practical.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »

I use a steady fleet doctrine and a mix of officers. I find that being overly aggressive limits your ability to fight fleets that are more powerful that your own. If you can't overwhelm the enemy, then all you achieve by being very aggressive is putting yourself in bad positions. A more cautious AI lets you fight significantly bigger fleets without losing much in my experience. I prefer to use eliminate orders and fighter strikes to get targeted aggression where I deem it necessary rather than letting the AI choose to take big risks. I do wish there was a slightly less suicidal version of eliminate, but I can usually make do by choosing a moment when the enemy has overextended and canceling the order if the enemy retreats.

For officers I have mostly steady, but I also use both aggressive and steady officers. I like aggressive officers in slow tanky ships like dominators, and I prefer cautious officers in carriers. I usually try to choose and outfit the ship to match the officer.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

I wish there were a less suicidal version of reckless for the same reason: Reckless will engage the enemy, but can get itself killed, and aggressive is a shade too cautious for most of my taste.
Pages: [1] 2