Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Please be mindful of the tone of your mod  (Read 6112 times)

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Please be mindful of the tone of your mod
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »

Honestly modders can make their mods however they please, you can either not download them or remove what you don't like from them yourself.

ActuallyUlysses

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »

Huh, every one of those screenshots except for one is from my mod.  Guess I'll take that as a compliment. ??? On the upside for you, it means you can get rid of them with a single simple change to your mod folder... I think I even have a tip that tells you how to do it.  ;)

That said, there is also a warning in the forum OP for each of my mod pages about this, heh.

I am in the middle of playthrough, so for now I will add just those tips :D

Not like there is anything wrong with your mods. I finished my mod list before you split your big mod into three.

On a side note, I see a number of people complaining about stuff in mods that's super easy to alter in 5 minutes or less. If modder can spent dozens of unpayed manhours hours writing and selecting only the most kosher of tips, you can spend few minutes removing them. All you need is notepad and Microsoft Excel.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 02:32:19 AM »

Assuming one knows where to look in the first place
On the left half of the Bell curve

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 03:07:57 AM »

As long as mods are not breaking a law, they can do whatever they can, even sheeps on skateboards and noeone can say anything about tone of their mods.

oihShio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »

You realize this is just tone policing?
People have the freedom to design their mods however they please. The moment that goes away I certainly wouldn't be a content creator.

Having designed mods in other games, and having shared said work, if you don't like it don't download it. If you make something, and then choose to share it (for free mind you), where in there is the creator obligated to design their creation around your personal tastes? They aren't.

Hundreds - thousands of hours of work and someone doesn't like the popups? My god. The modders here are excellent content creators, heck I made an account just to say that. Their creative freedom is their own. If they want help with design i'm sure they'll ask. There's a difference between helpful suggestions and saying "please only make content that conforms to a certain style". It comes off as having "thought-policing" undertones.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:11:34 AM by oihShio »

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

That's how every bad thing like "Sense of Pride and Accomplishment" start.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »

I am glad to see most people here understand how tone policing is a bad thing and that the tyranny of the offended can only lead to censorship and the murder of creativity.

If you don't like a mod, don't use it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:38:33 PM by Ed »
Check out my ships

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-84la7b9gVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbpQR0OFdY&t=178s

In short- every "we dont like something in mod" action soon will be just "we censor what we dont like and/or what we want to make money from. Also no free stuff, **** **** players"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »

... let's please try to keep this more on topic. The OP has a right to his opinion, modders have a right to disregard it or not as they choose, and this discussion is getting pretty far off-topic in talking about stuff that's at best tangentially related.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 12:36:15 AM »

Tone policing? If non-useful tips are making actual, useful tips non-existent, I don't care what tone they are. They are measurably and negatively impacting the gameplay.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 12:40:46 AM »

Tone policing? If non-useful tips are making actual, useful tips non-existent, I don't care what tone they are. They are measurably and negatively impacting the gameplay.

and no one cares what you think, if you don't like it fix it yourself.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 12:59:23 AM »

A: Mods usually don't specify which mod a tip comes from, meaning it can be hard to actually "just don't use that mod" as suggested (exceptions exist though, and it has gotten better recently).

B: This is not a policing action, this is not a threat, it is purely the opinion of one person who'd like it if people, at the very least, specify if they add content which is of a very different tone to the rest of the game experience. Not a particularly tall order (not to mention it's not an order, but rather something they'd find nice), and definitely not a "tyranny of the offended".

C: Of course people can say things about a mods tone, just like the creators have every right to disregard said things. The argument that "they've put in work, you haven't, shut up" is utterly ridicilous... however, the opposite is also true: that a mod creator is forced to listen to this critique is equally ridicilous.

oihShio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 02:24:59 AM »

A: Mods usually don't specify which mod a tip comes from, meaning it can be hard to actually "just don't use that mod" as suggested (exceptions exist though, and it has gotten better recently).

B: This is not a policing action, this is not a threat, it is purely the opinion of one person who'd like it if people, at the very least, specify if they add content which is of a very different tone to the rest of the game experience. Not a particularly tall order (not to mention it's not an order, but rather something they'd find nice), and definitely not a "tyranny of the offended".

C: Of course people can say things about a mods tone, just like the creators have every right to disregard said things. The argument that "they've put in work, you haven't, shut up" is utterly ridiculous... however, the opposite is also true: that a mod creator is forced to listen to this critique is equally ridiculous.

A. A very fair point, and to add to that there's a good way to see which mods add tips at all, as the tips.json will either be present in the strings folder of the mod or it won't. That should make it easy to isolate which mods are adding tips. Not to mention a quick peek in the .json in notepad++ and a ctrl+f of the text will tell you if the text is from that mod. If they really bug anyone then it is a very simple thing to deal with.

B. Undertones is the word I used. Tone control is a slippery slope that starts incredibly small, and slowly snowballs into something larger over time.

C. I agree, which is why anything posted is also open to scrutiny.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 03:22:56 AM »

B. Undertones is the word I used. Tone control is a slippery slope that starts incredibly small, and slowly snowballs into something larger over time.
You realize this is just tone policing?
People have the freedom to design their mods however they please. The moment that goes away I certainly wouldn't be a content creator.

I'm not leaving outright lies unconfronted. Sure, you tacked on "undertones" at the end of that message, but "You realize this is just tone policing?" does not leave much open for interpretation.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 03:35:05 AM »

And if you dont like his mod just dont play it, dont force others to do the same .

Also i think too that forcing people to dont make jokes , vide "Onslaught was mistake", because that's joke, mean basically , that you dont like their jokes so throw them out of all players. Also i dont like you throwing insults on people and telling them they're liars. Dont insult people.

My first iteration of post could be a little harsh, but even if you're right, just point that, dont throw insults on people.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:50:45 AM by Hrothgar »
Pages: 1 [2] 3