Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Frustration abound  (Read 5340 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration abound
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

@ Baqar79:  I hear you.  Named bounties are only worth it if you can crush them.  As for bar missions, I would like to see one as rewarding as yours.  Most of them are under 100k, and I usually reject them.  (Most of those that I accept are whose destination are at my colony where I need to go anyway to dump loot.)  I get a few that exceed that, and only got one that was close to 200k.  Maybe it has to do with fleet capacity?
Quantities offered are usually based on the cargo space you had when you first check the mission details out, but as for these big payout missions, I'm not sure.  In any case I think the other time I got a big paying mission like that was also from my own colony.  I do want to have a look into this myself however, see if I can figure out how to get them more frequently.

How do you get 400k?  So far, I just got four size 6 colonies and enough stability to make free port worthwhile.  They are making an average of 200k each (some more, some less).  I am trying to race to size 7 for that fourth industry, although two of them need military bases for extra stability and big fleets to repel expeditions.
I make a lot of use of AI cores at my colonies and the colony in question is size 7 (more taxes to collect from Population & Infrastructure).  Biggest credit booster is Free Port if you can cope with the stability drop.  My colony went from 330k to 488k with Free Port turned on:
Spoiler
[close]

And it's mostly because Free Port allows you to export drugs and harvested organs from your "Population & Infrastructure" building which adds 110k:
Spoiler
[close]
This is a 3 industry colony (Mining, Orbital Works and Fuel production)

If however you grow your colony large enough even a 2 industry colony can break 500k (Mining & Orbital works - older game):
Spoiler
[close]
The Population & Infrastructure building is the most profitable here:
115.5k Monthly Income
75k Harvested Organs
67k Recreational Drugs
257.5k Total - Just from the Population & Infrastructure building alone.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »

I think size 6 is the breakpoint when Free Port becomes good because of organ production, not to mention higher growth.  Before then, Free Port does not raise income enough to be worth the stability drop and extra expeditions.  I click Free Port on all four of my size 6 colonies and income jumps about 50% per colony.  With four size 6 colonies, it turns 400k combined into 600k, and Free Port has not ramped up.

I have considered toggling Free Port on and off to control the stability drop, since the main reason for Free Port is increased income.  Population growth is important too, but not if stability goes below 10 too often due to events.  (I really want Planetary Operations 3 to mitigate stability problems and increased defense.  Not enough points.)

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure cargo missions scale to your total cargo capacity, and pay scales with commodity type as well as amount.  So larger deliveries pay more, but there  is some variation based on the cargo type.

In my spacer iron man run through (which was mostly exploration/delivery before jumping to a colony), I never got a delivery mission I couldn't do, and they were always worth while (no 10 unit cargo missions when I can carry 500 units).

Completely ignoring bounties, even with the spacer debt, its quite easy to build up to a million credits or two to be able to buy a pristine cruiser or two plus enough to drop down a starter colony.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 12:55:26 AM »

Have a fleet of collossi (collossuses?) And the money and rewards end up REALLY high. More cargo space = more money.
Pages: 1 2 [3]