Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Minor Edge-Case Missile Guidance Silliness  (Read 827 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Minor Edge-Case Missile Guidance Silliness
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:24:44 AM »

I doubt that this is in relation to a mod, but since I play modded I figured I'd plop it here.

Just watched an Atropos torpedo fired by a Dagger which managed to get around behind the leading edge of a front shield. It looked like the enemy ship turned a little bit so the missile became slightly covered by the "soft" portion of the inner shield which caused it to stop and rapidly spin in place until it ran out of fuel.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Edge-Case Missile Guidance Silliness
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »

Hmm - I don't think there's a bug here. Some missiles (torpedoes especially) require something like half a second to "arm" and if they impact before then, it's a dud hit, leading to this sort of behavior.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

It came in from off-screen so it had a few seconds of flight time on it (it only had maybe 3/4-1 sec of fuel left at "impact"), it just caught my eye because it dropped to zero speed and started spinning so fast it was outpacing the refresh rate and I was worried I'd encountered some new pirate magnetic anti-missile system. ;D
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »

Ahh - probably just ran out of juice at the right time to not hit, then! I'm personally partial to the dud missile physics shenanigans :)

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »

If you want see easily more of them, try the mod Sylphon, with the Catharsis elite fighter. It has many missiles and they have tendency to do weird thing. (But here, all of them do the glitch and this is fun to see, ah ah)
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.