Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ships with in-built weapons/Ships that ARE weapons  (Read 2377 times)

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ships with in-built weapons/Ships that ARE weapons
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »

I am reminded of ships from Colony Wars, the Siege cannon ships that were basically giant guns in space, or the huge ships from Macross that opened up into giant cannons.

We have something similar with the Onslaught and it's thermal pulse cannon, but I was wondering if we could see some ships, fragile smaller ships that have an extremely long range cannon (fired from the map screen) or a larger ship with a hard mounted weapon like a huge rail gun or laser.  Any thoughts?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ships with in-built weapons/Ships that ARE weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »

While they are not built-in, stuff like Sunder and Mudskipper II are ships that have much of their volume dedicated to their biggest gun.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »

Sunder is frekin GREAT in the late game. Prob the most constant DPS for DP your going to get. When they have fighters screens to distract and bigger ships to retreat to.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »

HIL is such a superb weapon on Sunders.

The main issue at present on extremely long ranged ships is stations. Since they don't move, anything that outranges them just kinda wins.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:38:30 PM »

I am reminded of ships from Colony Wars, the Siege cannon ships that were basically giant guns in space, or the huge ships from Macross that opened up into giant cannons.

We have something similar with the Onslaught and it's thermal pulse cannon, but I was wondering if we could see some ships, fragile smaller ships that have an extremely long range cannon (fired from the map screen) or a larger ship with a hard mounted weapon like a huge rail gun or laser.  Any thoughts?

You might want to take a look at a few of the established faction mods (such as the SCY Nation and Tiandong Heavy Industries, though the latter is not yet up to date), as they have a few ships like that.

Ioulaum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:06:20 AM »

Focus now is re-establishment of new orders after Domain collapse, there will be conflicts between humans but not genocide over species.
So what's the point of apocalyptic weaponry?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:30:45 AM by Ioulaum »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:49:03 AM »

What fun would be a non-modular ship that you can only play in one way and which can never be upgraded? It's not really conductive to the style of gameplay that Starsector has.

Focus now is re-establishment of new orders after Domain collapse, there will be conflicts between humans but not genocide between species.
So what's the point of apocalyptic weaponry?
There are no civilised aliens anyway.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 03:34:22 AM »

I have actually one ship like that. With that exact weapon (complete with sound). A glass cannon to a T. No shields, only a few small turrets..and the GUN.