Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd pirate behavior  (Read 8307 times)

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Odd pirate behavior
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

So I started up a new game in the new version game puts me in a brawler, which I hate starting in. Figured I'd try toughing it out though, so I pick a fight with a lone pirate hound. And proceed to have a sequence of staring matches as he refuses to come anywhere near me if I'm facing him 95% of the time, and I can't even catch him with one of his engines disabled. He would then retreat after a few minutes, then immediately try to engage again. Rinse and repeat 6 times.

If an enemy flees on the tactical map, they should flee on the strategic map as well. Otherwise retreating makes absolutely no sense. I could understand him figuring me for too tough a target to crack and pulling out, but then constantly trying to re-engage just pisses me off if hes never going to even try to fight. It took forever for me to whittle him down with max range nicks.

So, having gotten fed up with trying to pin down single hounds for practically no reward, I found a slightly larger group, a couple hounds and talon wings. No problem right? Then I remembered why I hated the brawler so much. So, I'm dead right? They're all faster then me even when my engine boost is on, and the can flank me all they want while I try to take potshots at them. I'm screwed. Except they all retreated after a few minutes after taking almost no damage, and taking me down to about half hull. The hell? Why did they run away when they were CLEARLY WINNING? Did they discover religion mid-battle? Did they decide to repent and save their immortal souls? It sure as hell wasn't ammo, it hadn't been nearly long enough.

bubbalubber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Odd pirate behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

i hate that. my solution to those ships is throw all my missles at it at once, imobilise it, then throw everythig else  at it to finish it

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

My solution: Sabots first, to overwhelm shields, salmanders next, to immobilise the target, accompanied by me shouting FIRE EVERYTHING and then watching as the target goes nova ;D

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

upgradecap we have a sound clip of you on the bridge of your ship here.

http://www.hark.com/clips/zdkylwygqr-fire-everything-we-got
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

Yep. That's pretty much me. But i shout fire everything :D

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

shouting makes orders like that infinitely better :D
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »

shouting makes orders like that infinitely better :D
Indeed. Imagine that order on a paragon. So good watching all those weapons fire at once. :D

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

also related to starting with the brawler, check to see if the station has a HAMMERHEAD DESTROYER if you sell your ship and all your fuel and maybe a few supplies you can buy a hammerhead and some small weapons immediately, catch a few fighters for some more cash and BAM big ship!
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »

also related to starting with the brawler, check to see if the station has a HAMMERHEAD DESTROYER if you sell your ship and all your fuel and maybe a few supplies you can buy a hammerhead and some small weapons immediately, catch a few fighters for some more cash and BAM big ship!
Hammerhead ain't that good anymore after the nerf. Before, it could take a small fleet on It's own. Now it can get ownd by a buffalo mkII. A freighter!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »

Hammerhead ain't that good anymore after the nerf. Before, it could take a small fleet on It's own. Now it can get ownd by a buffalo mkII. A freighter!
Uh, what? Sounds like you're doing it wrong...  ???

Hammerhead is still good, just needs a proper loadout and reasonable support.

It owns with tac lasers and heavy MGs. The extended shield hullmod helps a lot.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »

Uh, what? Sounds like you're doing it wrong...  ???

Hammerhead is still good, just needs a proper loadout and reasonable support.

It owns with tac lasers and heavy MGs. The extended shield hullmod helps a lot.

So it was just me.... :D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

Haha, well I've never had a problem against a lone buffalo, but I also have a lot of practice with the thing. It's fairly cost efficient for a destroyer.

It really is a shadow of it's former glory. But so are many other ships.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »

Haha, well I've never had a problem against a lone buffalo, but I also have a lot of practice with the thing. It's fairly cost efficient for a destroyer.

It really is a shadow of it's former glory. But so are many other ships.  :)
But some ships are  glories of their former shadows :D... Wait that dosen't sound right.. Anyways, the apogee is one such ship.  Can't remember many more. Can you? :D

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

The brawler is a really hard starting ship, yeah.  Hound just needs a good weapon; brawler... eesh.  i managed something useful with it - I think I went with two tac lasers (with the range boost, since you don't care about turret turn rate) and a small needler or somesuch?  But you need to have that kind of messed-up weapons configuration to have a chance.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »

yea brawler is a *** to start with especially when you got to fight a hound! D: its keep trolling me T_T
Pages: [1] 2