Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best Non-Combat Flagship  (Read 3725 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Best Non-Combat Flagship
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:04:45 AM »

I'm not very good and fighting so I didn't spec my character into any skills that only buffed his ship cause I always put it on autopilot. That means its better for me to give the big o'l capital ship Id normally use for myself to someone else more suited while I fly something else that is fast and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.

What ships would you recommend looking at?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Best Non-Combat Flagship
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:23:57 AM »

If you do not personally fight at all, might as well grab a frigate like a Hound and hide in a corner.  Or, you can just not deploy the flagship at all.

Otherwise, grab a combat ship a no-skill AI will either survive in well or you do not care about dying.  Since you want something cheap, that rules out the likes of Paragon or any other capital.  You want something fast, so something sluggish like Apogee might be out too.  I would suggest one among Heron, Falcon, or Hammerhead.  Those are reasonably fast and not too expensive, and AI can do fine with a good loadout.  Also, those hulls are fairly common and/or found in the midline blueprint pack.

P.S:  One other option that can work if price is no object:  Doom.  AI has trouble defending against Mine Strike, and Doom does not need much beyond Mine Strike.

P.P.S.  Wait a moment!  If your topic title says non-combat, do you mean you want a fast civilian as your flagship?  If so, just grab a frigate and hide.  Honestly, unless you need Operations Center, either refrain from deploying your civilian flagship or use a combat ship the AI does well in as your flagship and let it take over.  Doom would probably be the ideal choice for the latter, but might be rare and pricey (but does not drain fuel like a capital does).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:33:44 AM by Megas »

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:29:12 AM »

You know you dont actually need to be on a ship right? If you capitain a ship but dont deploy it you can still give ordres.

Honestly if you dont want to fly a ship, this might not be the idéal game for you. If you want to fly one but are Afraid of the ack of character skill. Dont be. Fly any cruiser or capital. Your ability to perceive the relative position of ship Trump most skilks your subordinate could have.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »

Valkyrie equipped with Operations Center and Hardened Subsystems.

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »

What ships would you recommend looking at?

Just try everything you can afford to lose. :)
Tempest is very nice, effective and easy to drive from small ships. Sunder/hammerhead also nice. Eagles/falcons too, if you want something bigger. Onslaught from capitals - just F into enemy blob and let cannons shoot. ;D

PS Whops. Non-combat. Hm... just dont deploy flagship on battlefield. You can follow any deployed ship and watch the show.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:33:39 PM by Awe »

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 07:09:33 PM »

Valkyrie equipped with Operations Center and Hardened Subsystems.

I second this. Very useful if you’re a tactical map player, although I would use a Phaeton tanker, since you need to bring one for the fleet anyways.

Note to OP you can use a warship flagship, and press U to put it on autopilit.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:13:12 PM by goduranus »

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »

Since you are simply a supernumerary in your auto-piloted ship...you can fly in any of them.  If that one blows up...you just choose another and press X to fly over to it. 

But WASD space combat is just soooo tasty that I think you are missing out on the fun.  As I recall from my "why do I suck at this game" early days: I got better by starting with suppression builds and then to high flux dissipation builds.

So why not ease into a combat support role as follows: Go ahead and ride in a "combat limousine" configuration.  Tac Lasers are a key I think here.  All around cheap, small, and great for suppression/support within a budget.

1.  I would go with a ship tough enough to survive if attacked.  Your ride should be an armored limo and not a hybrid commuter car.

2. First, try autopilot from a carrier that has only PD and missiles for a little bit to observe how the AI stays in the neighborhood of intense fighting without actually fighting anything...in .91a the carrier AI is much better at keeping out of trouble so long as the fitment is PD and missiles only.  Suggest to make all the missiles Salamanders...these evil things give smaller pursuers fits.  And even a Destroyer will be stressed by four or more incoming Salamanders.

3.  Surviving without doing the fighting also means looking at the map and keeping to a clear area (or, at least, going one on one with a smaller ship) without straying far from friends.

Let's move on to transitioning into a support fighting role:

4.  Assign a capable ship to defend you.  Always have that bodyguard around.  And why not grab the WASD away from the computer and help with the kill when the bodyguard pounces on a weak enemy?  Just have your weapons on autofire and press X to stop firing when flux gets high (it shouldn't if you use the build below).

5.  The non-fighters fighting guide:  Ride in a tough, long ranged, auto-firing ship that you really just stay to the edges of combat, with friends around always, and just keep within firing range of smaller bad guys.  Don't commit to charges, and just keep in support range of your main fleet. 

Your ship build will be faster than most ships in its class or larger, with strong shields, has tons of defense hullmods, tons of flux dissipation (double the weapons usage), and mounts only 1000 range offensive weapons and the rest PD.

I would go with a destroyer or a fast cruiser (look at the codex and compare base ship speeds for the class of choice...then always add:

Unstable Injector
Flux Distributor
Max points in Flux Dissipation (note that max number, and don't add more weapons than will use half of that)

Other goodies to think about:

Reinforced Hull
Extended shields
Stable Shields
Hardened Shields

If space permits:  stack on the range extending hullmods...Integrated Targeting Unit, Advanced Optics

6.  weapons:  yes, even though you don't fight, there should be long range weapons on the ship. 

The flux usage of all offensive weapons should never exceed 50% of your flux dissipation rate.  This is an important way to keep your AI pilot from overloading the ship while taking fire (or letting you take over and run).  Note that I'm only suggesting that flux budget rule for your own "combat limousine" ship and not as a fleet-wide build rule.

One or more forward-facing 1000 range weapons (preferably anti-shield and anti-armor pair if possible or just anti-shield).

a.  enemy ships respect range and often loiter just outside your range or go pick on someone else.

b.  At least one long range, but low flux weapon, facing each direction, to give your self "visual warning" that bad guys are coming into range...not to mention, will help make them cautious.  One Tac Laser facing forward, left, and right.

c.  Fit PD for the rest.

d.   Ideally, once you are getting the hang this support role:  Something like a "suppression build Eagle" with three or four auto-firing Tac Lasers is a scary proposition for most enemy Destroyers and Frigates to approach alone.  Most Frigates cannot accept those Tac Laser hits for long without having to drop shields and begin to die, or withdraw.

The "combat limousine" is purpose-built to require friends...so you won't, by inclination, go off and get into solitary trouble.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »

A Drover or Heron with Thunders and Operations Center. Stay way back from the actual combat, use the Thunders to disable and harass enemy ships from 6000-8000 range, and give your fleet orders.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »

I'd say use a missile ship. These profit the least from pilot skills besides damage. Slap LRMs and ECCM on there, and otherwise grab fleet-boosting hullmods and speed.

A Thunder carrier is certainly another cool idea.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:10:27 PM »

This thread inspired me to look through all the different ships with the built-in ship reference, and I was surprised by the on-paper features of the Falcon (P).

The Falcon (P) has built in Augmented Drives & Unstable Injector so a stock speed of 90, which gets a further boost of 50 with Maneuvering jets.  The subsystem isn't as effective as the Auroras boost of 125, but the Falcon (P)'s Maneuvering jets do last longer.

Can happily house 4xMedium missile racks, 2xSmall missile racks (and 2xSmall energy), Expanded Missile Racks hull mod and have a Converted Hangar for fighters (I use Xyphos for the PD ) and it only costs 15 Supplies/Month stock.  After a bit of testing, I never thought I would see the day that I would be using a Pirate hull...the Falcon (P) is just that good (even swapped out my XIV Eagle in favour of this ship).

I think excluding it's ability as a missile boat, it's speed, low cost and CR endurance make it a great candidate for a Non-combat flagship.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »

You can just hit "U" and the flagship will auto-pilot.

Do strategic re-positioning with burn drive or whatever, let the AI do the shooting from there.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »

You can just hit "U" and the flagship will auto-pilot.

Do strategic re-positioning with burn drive or whatever, let the AI do the shooting from there.

Pretty much this. Take control when you feel you want more impact on the battlefield. You'll still get the bonus from your skills so they aren't in vain. Otherwise a carrier would be neat, something cheap like a Heron or a Mora that you don't care too much about losing, it's minimal to control and command.