Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It should be easier to make friends with the pirates  (Read 1818 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
It should be easier to make friends with the pirates
« on: May 18, 2019, 12:27:48 AM »

... But harder to do so while making friends with everyone else.

As it stands you can do some missions with the pirates and get rep. And if you're lucky/good enough to not run into pirates while you're doing this you can make it to inhospitable and then just ignore them (or make it to friendly and not even have to deal with raids on your colonies*).

Buuut. This is kinda boring and not well structured. It works if you just want to make nice with them on your way to being a colony master. But it doesn't work if you want to be a pirate. Because then you have to get in good with the pirates before you go pirating. If you just go pirating then you are hated by everyone and have no real way to like... sell your wares. Or safely enter a port.

So the proposal is thus;

When you engage a civilian fleet (I.E. any trade fleet) while you do not have an active commission rather than lose standing with the owner of the fleet you lose standing with every "civilized" faction and gain standing with the pirates. The amount you gain is equal to the smallest amount you would lose in the attack. So if you attack with your transponder off and take a normal -3 hit then you would gain +3 with the pirates. If you attacked with your transponder on and would take a -50 hit (say, from 0 to 50) with independents and a -70 hit from Hegemony(from +20 to -50) then you would receive a corresponding +50 GAIN with the pirates.

If you had a commission and the target was smuggling to an allied settlement (or one of your colonies, commission or no) then there would be no reputation hit and no piracy. If you had a commission and the target was not smuggling to an allied settlement and was hostile then there would be current reputation effects. If you had a commission and the target was not hostile then similar reputation effects as above would occur.

This way you can just go be a pirate if you want to.

*I think. At least as of last version

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: It should be easier to make friends with the pirates
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:37:20 AM »

Alex has stated a few times that he just wants the pirates to be bad guys and not a full faction the player can ally with. Hell, he has even thought of locking their rep at hostile.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »

If pirates ultimately become perma-hostile, they probably should lose black market on their stations (or lose open market and have their black markets charge tariffs) or just simply deny dock clearance (although how can player visit notable pirate NPCs like Kanta?)  Currently, pop-up pirate bases are a great place to sell excess stuff (except blueprints) off your hands, and buy out their commodities, all without tariffs (unlike Commerce on your colony).  Crew and marines are cheaper at pop-up pirate bases than from my own colony!

In a funny way, I often buy out marines from pop-up pirate bases, raid them for goodies, then blow up the station to either defend my colony or collect the bounty posted.

Pirates losing Black Market on their colonies should close up some easy money exploits with them.  Currently, I only buy from pirates' Open Market if Black Market did not stock enough commodities (like fuel) I need.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »

Alex has stated a few times that he just wants the pirates to be bad guys and not a full faction the player can ally with. Hell, he has even thought of locking their rep at hostile.

Well. The pirates are more or less that way anyway unless you do a lot of work to make them not. As soon as you get raids and take down bases they're effectively prema hostile. As soon as you do a bounty mission they're effectively perma-hostile. Because there are things to do vs pirates its very easy to accidentally trip up and perma-hostile them again.

This way (and ending pirate missions) you can be in good with the pirates or you can be in good with the civilized and you can do it without having to wait for a cycle not pirating.