Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Only Merchantile Convoys should have freighters slower than the slowest warship  (Read 841 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

A lot of system patrols have freighters and tankers that slow them down, and keep them from catching up with enemies. I think combat patrols should not contain any civilian ships that's slower than the slowest warship, or they should use variants with militarized subsystems to keep up.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara

If you could force military subsystems on your peeps' tankers and freighters, then that'd be so sweet.

Prioritizing smaller, faster tankers/freighters seems to do the job as well though.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Enemies these patrols try to catch suffer from same problem on average.
AI fleets don't really have to manage fuel and cargo. Having their pretend-tankers and pretend-freighters slower is not that high price for it :)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Fleet slowness may not matter during colony defense, where mostly big slow fleets come at you. But it makes a huge difference for military bases set up in core systems for interdicting shipping. The small fleets zipping around are really fast and will lead your patrols on a wild goose chase.

By including slow freighters, there comes a very tedious and gamey counterstrategy where you have to avoid installing blueprints of Atlas and Prometheus, as well as avoid the blueprint package that includes the colossus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Player already knows stock Colossus by default.  I avoided Atlas and Prometheus during 0.9.  I read priority on smaller ships should block use of the big ships, but that seems obscure, and I do not know if that has other unwanted side-effects.

There needs to be a blacklist option to block unwanted ships at all costs, especially for ships that player may like to build for his own use, but does not want his patrols to use them ever.