Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make (A) Auxiliary ships more consistent with hullmods  (Read 1838 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Make (A) Auxiliary ships more consistent with hullmods
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »

The Hound (A) still has the old Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary hullmod, but the Kite (A) and Buffalo (A) now have Militarized Subsystems instead. Yes, I know they're both Civilian ships to start with and the Hound is not, but that shouldn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things - neither the Buffalo nor Kite (A) retains the Civilian-Grade Hull hullmod in their transition to Auxiliary status, and you might as well just slap the modular hullmod on a regular one (yes I know the Kite (A) gets bonus OP), which takes out a lot of the flavour.

Originally I was under the impression that this was because Mil' Subsystems gives +1 to burn speed, and Heg Auxiliary does not, ergo the Hound (A) with Mil' Subsystems would be broken. Which would be fine! I like my balance... Except Heg Auxiliary DOES give +1 burn speed as well so that's irrelevant.  ???

So what the heck's going on here? I'd seriously appreciate some consistency - pick one hullmod for all the Auxiliary ships and be done with it, because I cannot understand why they're different. If there's some other fundamental balance concern going on here, I'd rather see the hullmods reconfigured to avoid that rather than picking one or another for different situations.

- Militarized Subsystems is the modular choice you can put on any civilian ships, in ADDITION to Civ-Grade Hull to make it less harsh.
- Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary is a more special hullmod that's part of the ship itself, which REPLACES Civ-Grade Hull and gives some more interesting bonuses.

With the Kite (A) and Buffalo (A) losing that - but the Hound (A) not - I'll be honest, I'm feeling a little lost.  :-\

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make (A) Auxiliary ships more consistent with hullmods
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »

I assume that MHA still giving +1 burn is a leftover and will be eventually fixed. Maybe. It seems that MHA was made to be "MS+", but then that thought was abandoned in favour of just having built-in militarized subsystems. Other than that, I don't see the issue. Civilian ships get one type of upgrade, combat ships get the other.
Edit: Does that one ship really need its own hullmod?

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:28:46 AM »

Yeah, the issue is Hound (A) having a unique hullmod for no real reason. Unique hullmods should be important, like the Flux Shunt; but MHA is minor at best.

Now if we have more non-civilian MHA ships then it might still make sense. Though really the only candidates are combat freighters.

JadedTarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »

I personally think giving the player a choice between Kite (A) and Buffalo (A) with no burn increase but the better stats and OP versus a regular Kite and Buffalo with Militarized Subsystems for the +1 burn would be a good way of keeping the pristine Hegemony variants special and letting the player decide which one they'd like to use.

But yes, having the regular Hound not be a civilian hull and having the Hound (A) receive improved stats and burn is just weird.  If the Kite (A) and Buffalo (A) wish to keep the militarized subsystems hullmod then the Hound should just be a Hound (H) with no stat changes I think.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »

It's really just the burn speed that's weird on the (A) Hound. It already has the +1 burn of a non-civilian ship baked into the regular version, so it getting an additional +1 from the Auxiliary mod is strange.
The rest of the better stats make sense, since it's a dedicated Hegemony overhaul to make the Hound even more combat ready. But 10 burn is already "military speed" for a ship of it's size and tech base. While burn 9 is "civilian speed" for the same (Muskipper, Dram, Mercury, Kite, etc.), hence the militarized versions getting a +1 to put them up to "military speed".

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »

Yeah, that's a bit of an oversight. Let me give it Armored Weapon Mounts instead, that feels about right.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 11:00:06 PM »

... Well I can't say I expected that outcome. XD But I'm not complaining. At least I now have a better idea of what to put on my own Hegemony-skinned mod ships.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:39:28 AM »

Nerfing speed on only low-tech speedster ship - now only tempest remains at 11 burn. I will miss my 11 burn fast trader fleet for sure. This additional speed vs nebulas/storms really make a difference.