Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pin important intel on the screen  (Read 1409 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Pin important intel on the screen
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »

I think it would be helpful if you could always see important intel during transit, like how long you have left to finish a delivery or until a raiding fleet arrives at your colony. You can tag/untag stuff as important in the intel menu, so there's no danger of cluttering the screen with stuff you don't care for.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pin important intel on the screen
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »

Let me make a note to take a look. It might work in the upper right of the screen - I think there could be enough space there, above the "laid in course" widget. What to do if there are too many flagged items, though - a scrolling list would be awkward there. Having the icon on the left might feel awkward, too, if it's on the right of the screen. Basically: seems like it could be good, but UI things.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »

Let me make a note to take a look. It might work in the upper right of the screen - I think there could be enough space there, above the "laid in course" widget. What to do if there are too many flagged items, though - a scrolling list would be awkward there. Having the icon on the left might feel awkward, too, if it's on the right of the screen. Basically: seems like it could be good, but UI things.

I agree something like this might be useful, especially for timed contracts, so perhaps you could limit it to just those? Perhaps display up to five intel items marked as Important, sorted by duration left to complete. It's definitely suboptimal, but would help keep the UI from getting too cluttered.

Alternatively, you have the game record when the player marked an intel item as Important (if it doesn't already), and you display the five oldest ones, regardless of what they are.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:11:23 AM »

I thought it could just stay on the left like the normal, fading messages. Except, well, not fading.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »

Ah, hmm - I suppose that's an option to look at. But if you had more then 2-3, that wouldn't leave much room for new intel, so would have to figure something out there.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »

A possibility is to drop the pinned intel to just name and days remaining - no icon or other info. A single line would take a lot less space wherever you put it.