Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768405 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Starship Legends 2.1.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #990 on: October 17, 2022, 05:14:41 AM »

Just a heads up that I also have a hullmod that automates ships.
Ah, I was hoping someone would point it out if there were other methods of automating ships. Thanks! I'll see what I can do about improving compatibility with that feature. Could you tell me which of your mods adds it?
Unsurprisingly, it's Yunru Hullmods :P

Although it does it by adding the Automated hullmod, so I suppose you could just check for that.
Unfortunately I couldn't rely on all mods with similar features to do the same, so checking for that can get dicey. I think I'll probably just keep checking if ship.minCrew <= 0 and resorting to more complicated checks only if the ship is mothballed. That should be fairly robust.

Edit: This should work in all cases for your mod, right?
Code
    public static boolean isShipCrewed(FleetMemberAPI ship) {
        return ship.isMothballed()
                ? (ship.getHullSpec().getMinCrew() > 0 || ship.getVariant().hasHullMod(HullMods.AUTOMATED))
                : (ship.getMinCrew() > 0);
    }
Definitely!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 17, 2022, 07:29:12 AM »

So how quickly does disloyalty build up? Because fights in end-game Starsector, especially against the REDACTED, usually results in almost half of my fleet being disabled.
Ships can lose as many as two loyalty levels when disabled, but might not lose any at all. Ships get "resistance" to losing loyalty from effects that reduce crew casualties and from being outmatched. So for example, if you bring a Kite that has blast doors into a fight with Radiants it might not lose any loyalty if it's disabled, and never more than 1. A Paragon would lose the full two loyalty levels if it were disabled in the same fight. Skills that make crew safer (containment procedures and damage control) also prevent loyalty loss, and all effects stack.

Unsurprisingly, it's Yunru Hullmods :P
Yeah, yeah, guess I should've known  ::)
I'll do a few quick tests to make sure your automation hullmod doesn't confuse starship legends. Thanks again for pointing it out to me  :)

Definitely!
Actually, I missed a "!" in there before the hullmod check  ::)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 02, 2022, 04:52:35 PM »

A minor suggestion: for the ship sale event, where someone wants to buy one of your famous hulls, I'd suggest adding a story point refund mechanic for s-mods - have it grant the same bonus XP you'd get from scrapping the hull.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 03, 2022, 04:25:01 PM »

Hmm... that's a good idea...
The price you're offered in that event actually factors in s-mods though, so it already compensates you for SP, just in a different way. However, it scales the base price of the ship based on s-mods rather than considering the value of the SP themselves. So it offers much less $ for SP spent on a Hound than SP spent on an Onslaught. For the sake of simplicity* I might just increase the buy offer price based on a flat amount proportional to the bonus XP you'd get from scuttling. Now I just need to decide how many credits one SP is worth...

*And because I'm generally not a big fan of the whole bonus XP system to begin with, even though I <3 SP

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 03, 2022, 07:52:53 PM »

Ahh, that's fair. I'm not entirely a fan of the bonus XP system either - my first thought for a suggestion was actually direct refund of story points, with bonus XP only getting involved for fractional values.

What the credit value of a story point is, though. Hrm. Early game that might be as low as a mere 100k - but early game you're not going to be seeing these events much, I think? At least, they only seem to turn up for fairly well advanced ships.

Late game I'm generally not in need of cash; I only accepted the offer that one time because I was curious if it had a refund mechanic & I was planning on retiring the hull in question anyway. Most of the time when this comes up it's on a hull I've no interest in selling regardless of price.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 04, 2022, 06:11:09 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't expect many people to accept that offer under normal circumstances. It's mostly just there for flavor, but it won't hurt to at least make it a bit more enticing.

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 21, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »

This mod does not seem to have been updated on the main modlist as 0.95.1a compatible, so people may be missing out.

Unless I'm missing something?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 21, 2022, 11:00:43 AM »

Outside of a few exceptions, you can assume that any .95 mods will work just fine in .95.1.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 21, 2022, 04:30:09 PM »

This mod does not seem to have been updated on the main modlist as 0.95.1a compatible, so people may be missing out.
Yeah, I should probably bug a moderator to fix that at some point.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 18, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »

It would be nice if one could disable the ship traits notification for specific ships, not for everything. While I care about the specifics of my core fleet, I could not give two s#its about some disposable frigates or freighters. The either-or approach means you either see nothing, or your intel gets spammed with "important" notifications that aren't.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 19, 2022, 08:58:10 AM »

I could maybe split it up into a few categories for which ships notifications are shown for, but I can't think of a clean way for people to designate specific ships as worthy of notifications. I wouldn't want to add too many categories for the sake of avoiding clutter, so maybe different notification settings for ships with/without officers?

Is there a certain scenario of set of options that lead to the notifications being problematically spammy? That could be useful to know in order to address the issue more effectively. In my experience the notifications are very infrequent, as the vast majority of the traits my ships get are shown on battle reports. Did you add starship legends to a game where you already had a large fleet? Did you increase traitPairsPerTier, or something else that would make the occurrence of new traits more frequent?

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 19, 2022, 12:00:55 PM »

Yes, a separate setting for ships with and without officers should mostly take care of it.

I do not mean spam in the sense of "too many messages", but in the sense that many end up irrelevant. If I understand the feature correctly, you have to click through one proposal to get the next one, which adds tedium.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 19, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »

Ah, you were talking about the notifications for trait sidegrade suggestions. That makes more sense. I thought you were talking about the notifications for new traits. I think a setting to only suggest sidegrades for ships with officers is worth adding, so that'll be in the next version. Thanks for the feedback!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 19, 2022, 08:26:04 PM »

Huh. I mean, sure, a lot of the sidegrade suggestions end up irrelevant - do I want to swap improved armor for improved shields on one of my freighters? Nah, don't care.

...But definitely not all of them. Will I swap improved armor for reduced supply usage on a freighter? Absolutely.

(And even for main combat ships - am I going to trade out 'Deadly' for anything else? Almost certainly not.)

...That said, there are situations where the 'new traits' messages can get spammy: if you just purchased or recovered a bunch of new ships all at once, then it takes very little XP to get their first set of traits, and I frequently see that trigger off exploration. Still, that's kindof a niche case, and it doesn't really bother me that much.

If I understand the feature correctly, you have to click through one proposal to get the next one, which adds tedium.
I'm pretty sure you're not understanding the feature correctly? At least, if it offers a sidegrade I don't care about, there doesn't seem to be any penalty from just letting it expire rather than tracking it down and explicitly saying 'no thanks'.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 19, 2022, 09:35:37 PM »

Huh. I mean, sure, a lot of the sidegrade suggestions end up irrelevant - do I want to swap improved armor for improved shields on one of my freighters? Nah, don't care.

...But definitely not all of them. Will I swap improved armor for reduced supply usage on a freighter? Absolutely.

(And even for main combat ships - am I going to trade out 'Deadly' for anything else? Almost certainly not.)
Yeah, the default behavior will stay the same, but I think the option is easy enough to add in this case.

...That said, there are situations where the 'new traits' messages can get spammy: if you just purchased or recovered a bunch of new ships all at once, then it takes very little XP to get their first set of traits, and I frequently see that trigger off exploration. Still, that's kindof a niche case, and it doesn't really bother me that much.
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about those scenarios either.

If I understand the feature correctly, you have to click through one proposal to get the next one, which adds tedium.
I'm pretty sure you're not understanding the feature correctly? At least, if it offers a sidegrade I don't care about, there doesn't seem to be any penalty from just letting it expire rather than tracking it down and explicitly saying 'no thanks'.
Only one sidegrade suggestion is offered at once, so letting them expire might delay the next one. Not really a penalty, but some people might want to resolve them as soon as possible to make sure the next one isn't delayed.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 81