Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768249 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm... yup. Reproduced on my end. Will be fixed in the next patch. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! In the meantime you should be able to see XP info by enabling dev mode with console commands, but I recommend turning it off before unpausing.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback!  I agree with a lot of it, but there are a few things about the loyalty system that I don't do a very good job of explaining anywhere.  The main thing is that it requires exponentially more XP for loyalty to improve at higher loyalty, making it difficult to achieve high loyalty levels, but very easy to recover from low loyalty levels. (At least, that's the goal.)
Loyalty LevelXP Required to Improve
Mutinous800
Openly Insubordinate4000
Insubordinate20000
Doubtful100000
Indifferent500000
Confident1500000
Loyal4500000
I tried to balance this so that players of average skill will generally keep most of their ships somewhere between insubordinate and loyal.  Unfortunately, that's a very difficult thing to do without a significant amount of data to analyze, so it's bound to be off.  Different playstyles also complicate this.  Another related problem is that loyalty is harder to maintain early game due to smaller battles yielding less XP.  This is something I want to address at some point, but I haven't settled on a solution yet.

Loyalty reduction can also be reduced or even negated under the right circumstances.  Weak ships that participate in battles involving strong opponents are far less likely to lose loyalty, as well as ships with any hullmod or skill that reduces crew casualties (e.g. Reiniforced Bukheads, Damage Control, Containment Procedures)

I know all that doesn't address every point you brought up in spite of being rather longwinded and rambley, but I do appreciate you taking the time to give feedback, and I'll keep it in mind when I consider future changes  :)

If you couldn't just swap officers to reset to indifferent, I think that system would work a lot better.  Good to know that preventing crew loses also leads to better loyalty.  My personal suggestion would be to cut the low loyalty values entirely.  Have the baseline be the minimum.  Then have loyalty be something like a kill streak, it rewards players for keeping their ships alive and not shuffling around their officers.  D-mods and repair costs are already punishment enough for loses.  Say:

Untested (baseline): The crew is still unsure about their officer and is in a 'breaking in' period for their new posting.  -10% Peek operating time.
Indifferent: The crew has no strong feelings about their officer, but work together well enough.  No effects.
Warm: The crew and their officer have worked out their kinks and now work together well, their special skills can now start to shine.  -10% CR decay, +small ship traits.
Confident: Same as before
Loyal: Same as before

Untested is usually cleared after one battle and ships will generally stay at indifferent for extended periods of time.  While warm, confident, and loyal all have relatively similar experience values separating them.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Then have loyalty be something like a kill streak, it rewards players for keeping their ships alive and not shuffling around their officers.
horrible idea. this would punish smart fleet composition for specialized fights as well as changing out your own flagship for specific bounties/engagements.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

My personal suggestion would be to cut the low loyalty values entirely.  Have the baseline be the minimum.  Then have loyalty be something like a kill streak, it rewards players for keeping their ships alive and not shuffling around their officers.
If I understand your suggestion correctly, it would be very similar to simply removing the negative loyalty levels.  I might add a setting for defining the min and max loyalty levels in the next major update, as long as it doesn't turn out to be more complicated than I expect.  In case you're not aware, it is possible to simply disable loyalty reduction by setting "baseLoyaltyLevelsLostWhenDisabled" to 0.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile

Then have loyalty be something like a kill streak, it rewards players for keeping their ships alive and not shuffling around their officers.
horrible idea. this would punish smart fleet composition for specialized fights as well as changing out your own flagship for specific bounties/engagements.
Loyalty is actually persistent even when switching your officers.  You can have several ships loyal to your captain or officers at the same time.

If I understand your suggestion correctly, it would be very similar to simply removing the negative loyalty levels.  I might add a setting for defining the min and max loyalty levels in the next major update, as long as it doesn't turn out to be more complicated than I expect.  In case you're not aware, it is possible to simply disable loyalty reduction by setting "baseLoyaltyLevelsLostWhenDisabled" to 0.

Yeah, pretty much it is removing negative loyalty or at least making the lowest level fairly minimal for negative effects.  I do think losing loyalty for losing your ships is fine though, just that the disloyal scores go too far in the current version.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:39:05 PM by Twilight Sentinel »

SyntacticMelon

• Ensign
    • View Profile

This mods great, I really like the extra layer of identity that it can bring to ships, I've been using it since 0.9.1a and loaded it up for my new playthrough.

One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot harder to gain purely beneficial traits even with outstanding combat results whereas a slight boost to the damage rating in the combat calculation in the older version meant that you could guarantee a positive roll with exceptional combat results.

I've tweaked "xpMultPerDamageDealtPercent" to 0.009 but I'm not getting the same effect, is there any other variable I can change to have the desired effect?

I do like the trait side-grade and upgrade events instead of having to mothball a ship and start from scratch, allowing you to slowly specialize ships instead of rolling the dice every time.

Brandon0sh

• Ensign
    • View Profile

For your next update, is there any chance you could add a setting that allows us to disable the "this fleet recognizes you because of notable ships in your fleet"? I'm playing Nexerelin and I want to be able to stealth without being recognized because of Starship legends.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, pretty much it is removing negative loyalty or at least making the lowest level fairly minimal for negative effects.  I do think losing loyalty for losing your ships is fine though, just that the disloyal scores go too far in the current version.
Yeah, I can see how some of the lower loyalty levels might be too punishing for some people's tastes.

This mods great, I really like the extra layer of identity that it can bring to ships, I've been using it since 0.9.1a and loaded it up for my new playthrough.
[snip]
I do like the trait side-grade and upgrade events instead of having to mothball a ship and start from scratch, allowing you to slowly specialize ships instead of rolling the dice every time.
Glad to hear it!  ;D

One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot harder to gain purely beneficial traits even with outstanding combat results whereas a slight boost to the damage rating in the combat calculation in the older version meant that you could guarantee a positive roll with exceptional combat results.
For versions 2.0.0 and onward, combat performance only affects how quickly your ships earn fame and loyalty.  Ships will get the same traits no matter how well they do in combat.  It's possible to convert bad traits into good ones under the right circumstances (up to 7 good, 1 bad by default).  You might want to check out the changelog for 2.0.0 if you want specifics.

I've tweaked "xpMultPerDamageDealtPercent" to 0.009 but I'm not getting the same effect, is there any other variable I can change to have the desired effect?
That will increase how much xp ships get from dealing hull damage in battle, making them earn loyalty and reputation faster.  You might want to change how many negative traits ships may get by editing the "reputation growth" section of the options file.  Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to support the old combat rating system as well as the new system, so versions 2 and up can't be configured to work the way starship legends used to. For that, you'd need to download version 1.5.6 (see the "old versions" link on the first page).

For your next update, is there any chance you could add a setting that allows us to disable the "this fleet recognizes you because of notable ships in your fleet"? I'm playing Nexerelin and I want to be able to stealth without being recognized because of Starship legends.
Do you have a certain spooky manta ray shaped ship in your fleet by any chance?  Starship legends doesn't change when NPC fleets recognize you, although a few people have requested such a feature.  If I ever do add something like that there will certainly be a setting for it.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Does this mod affect the game performance in a bad way? Wouldn't keeping tracks of ship performances exhaust the game, I'm asking because I have no idea how it works.

SyntacticMelon

• Ensign
    • View Profile

That will increase how much xp ships get from dealing hull damage in battle, making them earn loyalty and reputation faster.  You might want to change how many negative traits ships may get by editing the "reputation growth" section of the options file.  Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to support the old combat rating system as well as the new system, so versions 2 and up can't be configured to work the way starship legends used to. For that, you'd need to download version 1.5.6 (see the "old versions" link on the first page).

Ah, that makes everything much more clear, thank you!

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile

That is something from vanilla ;)

Also epic mod but im confused now does the default settings make it so that you get one positive trait and one negative trait each rank?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Does this mod affect the game performance in a bad way? Wouldn't keeping tracks of ship performances exhaust the game, I'm asking because I have no idea how it works.
This mod has a very low performance cost.  The stuff it keeps track of is insignificant, especially compared to what vanilla keeps track of.  During most frames it does absolutely nothing.  I'd say the biggest performance cost of this mod is that it can sometimes add several milliseconds to the time it takes to generate the dialog menu when you visit a bar, due to some of the bar events having poorly optimized generation code.  Also, I've noticed that very large battle reports won't always scroll smoothly.

Ah, that makes everything much more clear, thank you!
You're quite welcome  ;D

Also epic mod but im confused now does the default settings make it so that you get one positive trait and one negative trait each rank?
Traits always come in pairs in versions 2.0 and up, but they aren't always a positive and a negative. With default settings you will often get two positive traits at later reputation tiers. These are the settings that control how many negative traits your ships can have at max fame:
   "maxInitialNegativeTraits":4,
   "minInitialNegativeTraits":1,
   "minNegativeTraits":1, # This is the minimum number of negative traits a ship may have due to events

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile

Quick question: Does this mod properly apply the bonuses to all sections of multi-section ships? (You know, the kind where each section has its own fitting and OP points, and fires and vents independently). Since a few mods introduce them, I was wondering if they were supported or not.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Does this mod properly apply the bonuses to all sections of multi-section ships?
Yep

VolturnianMobster

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I set    "rumoredTraitsShown":8 but it still only hows two traits when I hover the trait ingame. Am I doing something wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 81