Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768273 times)

jonesy123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Starship Legends 1.5.3 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #750 on: July 06, 2021, 09:17:53 AM »

Hi, I'm interested in using the mod but I have a few questions:
- I would like it to be more dependent on the ships' performance in battles without removing the combat rating system (as I assume that's what the Better Immersion settings do) while also allowing civilian ships to get reputation changes without needing to enter battle.
- Can I change the config settings without breaking my save file? I'd be fine with just fine-tuning the settings over time as I don't entirely understand the config values yet.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.5.4
Compatible with previous versions

Fixed defending a station through the "consider your military options" dialogue resulting in a broken battle where you attack the station instead

Hi, I'm interested in using the mod but I have a few questions:
- I would like it to be more dependent on the ships' performance in battles without removing the combat rating system (as I assume that's what the Better Immersion settings do) while also allowing civilian ships to get reputation changes without needing to enter battle.
- Can I change the config settings without breaking my save file? I'd be fine with just fine-tuning the settings over time as I don't entirely understand the config values yet.
Hey, sounds like you want the "better immersion" settings, except without changing "showCombatRatings" to false. Ratings will be tracked and displayed, but they won't influence your ships in any way. By default, the reputation of civilian ships has a chance to grow whenever you earn XP from anything other than battle, so you shouldn't need to worry about anything there (although there's a 50% chance to get a bad trait this way, which a lot of people hate. "bonusChanceForCivilianShips" can be edited to change this)
I did my best to make sure the config could be changed mid-game without issues, and I don't recall anyone reporting it causing issues, but no guarantees!

I don't think ships with High Intensity Lasers are calculating their combat contribution correctly (and/or the Diable Avionics Maelstrom isn't calculating it right).
I can't think of a way calculation could be broken by the HIL or Maelstrom. I tried fighting a battle with a HIL equiped Maelstrom and got the kind of results I'd expect. The rating system often doesn't work the way people expect and/or want it to, so I suspect this is just another case of that.

Rohzdear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Starship Legends 1.5.4 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #752 on: July 07, 2021, 07:45:41 AM »

Does Starship Legends still use a special .ini Configuration file for when you're also using Ruthless Sector? I have them both since I saw Ruthless Sector finally updated, but Starship Legends doesn't come with the optional .ini aymore.

And speaking of configuration options: Do you think it would be possible to add an optional formula for calculating Combat Rating and Crew Loyalty that is based on Crew deaths instead of Hull damage? The issue is that whenever you have a ship that mostly deals flux damage (while other ships are in charge of DPS) and the ship's hull gets barely scratched the combat rating eventually drops and the crew become insubordinate to their captain, forcing me to Mothball it just for it to occur again.
This is especially troublesome with certain mod ships like Junkers who rely on massive Hull Points instead of Shields on Armor, so even though barely or none of their crewmembers die their morale still takes a dive during every encounter.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 08:51:01 AM by Rohzdear »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 07, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »

Does Starship Legends still use a special .ini Configuration file for when you're also using Ruthless Sector?
Nope

Do you think it would be possible to add an optional formula for calculating Combat Rating and Crew Loyalty that is based on Crew deaths instead of Hull damage?
Crew deaths are based on hull damage, so that would just result in a more complicated version of the same calculation. The only way to fix the combat rating system is to remove it.

Rohzdear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 07, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »

Crew deaths are based on hull damage, so that would just result in a more complicated version of the same calculation. The only way to fix the combat rating system is to remove it.
Yeah, that much I figured, but there are certain Skills (Salvaging, Damage Control) and Hullmods (Blast Doors, Recovery Shuttles, etc.) that directly help reduce Crew Deaths regardless of Hull Damage sustained during Combat and non-combat operations, which I think makes sense would directly affect Crew Morale much more than just the ship being damaged.

I must admit I don't know how Automated Ships with AI captains behave with the mod. Do they still get Crew Morale and Specializations regardless of their non-human nature, or are these things disabled for them? I always thought the direct buffs from the ship's reputation were representative of how the crew's experience improved the ship, so I'm not sure how AI ships are affected by this.

Thanks for your quick response either way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 08:03:23 PM by Rohzdear »

MeinGott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 08, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »

Dear Sundog, I have a feedback for this mod, perhaps you will find it usefull:
My flagship has a hullmod that regenerates HP during battle. The ship took major pounding but emerged victorious. After battle StarshipLegends decided it took over 100% of damage and surely performed badly, thus negative combat rating. Clearly it was the other way around and the ship performed admirably. I understand it treated the ship as if destroyed, counting HP lost, and ignoring regained.
I hope you will deem it worth fixing. Thank you

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 08, 2021, 05:57:57 PM »

I must admit I don't know how Automated Ships with AI captains behave with the mod. Do they still get Crew Morale and Specializations regardless of their non-human nature, or are these things disabled for them?
It works the same way, functionally. The only difference is that traits are renamed for crewless ships.

Thanks for your quick response either way.
Sure  :)

My flagship has a hullmod that regenerates HP during battle. The ship took major pounding but emerged victorious. After battle StarshipLegends decided it took over 100% of damage and surely performed badly, thus negative combat rating. Clearly it was the other way around and the ship performed admirably. I understand it treated the ship as if destroyed, counting HP lost, and ignoring regained.
I hope you will deem it worth fixing. Thank you
There's a list for ships that regenerate hull that reduces effects of hull damage by a specific percentage for each ship. Sometimes ships aren't included, or their reduction isn't enough because each ship needs to be evaluated and added to the list on a case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, that's the best solution I've managed to come up with. The only real solution (as with most complaints about this mod) is to remove the combat rating system entirely.

Hahaheho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 12, 2021, 08:43:57 PM »

Can one ship potentially gets ALL types of bonuses/maluses as its increse its reputation? Can it's bonuses increases over time, say from 5-10%?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 12, 2021, 09:58:33 PM »

The strength of the ship's bonuses increase with its fame, yes.

KadathCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 06, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »

Hi Sundog,

I was looking at the code to try and understand the captain loyalty system and it seems there's an area with a possible bug. Would you prefer I mention it here or on github? Would like your feedback on it to better understand that section of the code and validate my understanding.

Thanks

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 06, 2021, 04:34:19 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forum! We can talk about it here. Or Discord (Sundog#3161). I only really use github when I create a new release for something.

KadathCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 06, 2021, 08:12:19 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forum! We can talk about it here. Or Discord (Sundog#3161). I only really use github when I create a new release for something.

Thanks!

Really liked your mod and wanted to try it and out, and I wanted to have more control over the captain loyalty.

So, I was looking at this segment of code:
https://github.com/NateNBJ/StarshipLegends/blob/c4f55b26a9fd1900b4073333eb44042c013ac7b6/src/starship_legends/CampaignScript.java#L403-L430

From what I'm understanding, the success is calculated on line 410, however, when you enable the USE_RATING_FROM_LAST_BATTLE_AS_BASIS_FOR_BONUS_CHANCE option, it recalculates the odds and takes into account the IMPROVE_LOYALTY_CHANCE_MULT and WORSEN_LOYALTY_CHANCE_MULT settings. However, the success chance is not reevaluated with regards to the new loyaltyAdjustChance. It seemed to me that a recalculation of the success was in order, but wanted to double check that I wasn't missing something.

Thanks once again!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 06, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »

Oh, god... I should've known it'd be a question about that method. Are you a CS student? Because that's a great example of how not to write a method/function. Pretty sure most of the bugs this mod has ever had have been caused by mistakes I've made in that method's code, and this is no exception. You're absolutely right about this being a bug. The "improveLoyaltyChanceMult" and "worsenLoyaltyChanceMult" settings have no meaningful effect. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

One thing to note: IMPROVE_LOYALTY_CHANCE_MULT and WORSEN_LOYALTY_CHANCE_MULT are taken into account even when USE_RATING_FROM_LAST_BATTLE_AS_BASIS_FOR_BONUS_CHANCE is false. That IF statement has another condition on the line below.

KadathCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 07, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »

I used to be a CS student, been a developer for a while now though. However, I did not want to make assumptions: either success needed to be recalculated or the options are no longer meaningful, and I wasn't sure which was your intention. I was hoping those options could remain as I wanted to make use of them ;)

Besides, I'm not here to critique code!  :-X

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 08, 2021, 08:49:06 AM »

Gotcha. The CS in your name had me curious. I'll probably fix those settings at some point, but I'm planning to overhaul many aspects of this mod in a way that will obsolete them. Not sure which will come first
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81