Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768693 times)

ReconUHD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Starship Legends 1.5.1 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #675 on: April 05, 2021, 03:54:02 AM »

how is reputation grinding balanced for the new level cap, or any other modified level cap for that matter?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »

Hi Sundog. When the storyteller creates a random ship hook, can you add a low chance for it to have 1 or 2 S-mods?  8)
Why, yes. Yes I can. That's a good idea. I'll add it to my TODO list.

how is reputation grinding balanced for the new level cap, or any other modified level cap for that matter?
Good question! Honestly I failed to consider the implications of the new skill system for starship legends, so things are a bit off (try not to judge, I've been juggling many projects). In 0.9.1 it took about 8,355K XP to reach max level and in 0.95 it takes 8,140K, so things are about the same in that regard. However, I didn't increase "traitChanceBonusPerPlayerLevel" to compensate for the lower max level, so I'll fix that up with the next update.

To answer your question, if you keep a ship with you from level 1 to 15 and use it frequently it should be famous (with 5 or 6 traits) by the time you hit max level. Increasing the max level will only affect starship legends by increasing the aforementioned trait-chance-per-player-level bonus, so you might just want to adjust that to your liking in the settings file.

Edit: there's also traitChanceMultPerPlayerCaptainLevel and traitChanceMultPerNonPlayerCaptainLevel
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:35:09 AM by Sundog »

UNOwenWasMe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 05, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »

Yeah, I think I will tone down enemy fleet trait effects in the next update. I've been considering it ever since the update that originally introduced fleet reputations, actually. I really like the high bonuses, personally, but I knew people would complain about it. I'm hoping to make it easier to configure in the future, but in the meantime you can reduce the effects by editing STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini to lower the "fleetTraitEffectMult" setting.

You can also change the specific traits that factions are likely to get by editing the files in "\mods\Starship Legends\data\world\factions\"

It of course depends on how Alex is going to tone down the officer spam and such, but right now I can confirm that Remnant are absolutely bonkers with this mod installed (I mean they'd already be because of alpha cores but this is next level). They already have good shields and giving them extra bonuses on top of that is making the whole experience rather frustrating.

Of course, it's my decision to play with this mod in the first place, I love it and I hope I can keep using it in the future!

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 05, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »

By and large a very neat mod; I'm a big enthusiast of the idea of making individual ships special (and so make it sting all the more when they break), and this plus the .95 built-in features play together very nicely for that.

A couple of thoughts/suggestions that I've had playing with the mod (and maybe have already been thought so, y'know, take them for what it is) for integrating S-mods (is that what we're calling them?) and story points a bit with it:
- Ships with S-mods gaining reputation a bit faster, like 5/10/15% or so? It seems like the sort of thing that'd mark a ship as something special, rare and, in spacer circles, worth talking about.
- A story point use to re-roll the fame modifiers the ship has? Maybe it's complicated and not-worth-the-effort, and there's something to be said for the ships being quirky in ways you can't really control and actively fish for, but on the other hand story points are there to let you make your own story... Maybe it'd work, maybe not.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 05, 2021, 01:14:11 PM »

This mod, in hand with the new story points, go a long way to establishing the traditionally disposable ships as emotional investments. Which i not only think is great, but necessary for a decent run of ironman.

To jump on some of your suggestions Kou, maybe instead of S-mod ships inherently gaining traits faster, you could spent a point to increase the liklihood/decrease threshold? Story points are essentially infinite so adding more point sinks would be good instead of latching onto ones that are already there.

edit: i did something and keyboard stopped working. Strange.

To continue: The re-roll of existing traits i do like, though make the likely hood that its negative higher than positive, IMHO, these ships get powerful even with random boosts, being able to veto a few might get too OP too quickly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:18:29 PM by Dex »

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 05, 2021, 11:43:00 PM »

To continue: The re-roll of existing traits i do like, though make the likely hood that its negative higher than positive, IMHO, these ships get powerful even with random boosts, being able to veto a few might get too OP too quickly.

True, though I was mostly thinking of it as a re-roll of all of them at once, rather than getting to re-roll them individually; sure you could then veto ones you don't like, but you might lose something you do want, and/or end up with more negatives than you had before, etc. Then again that might just push it into a "re-roll ships that got several to many negatives" and I've only a loose grasp of the balance of the game to begin with. :D

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 06, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »

You're likely already aware, but:

Spoiler
The Ziggurat encounter at Alpha Site gets Legends bonuses, and quite a massive array of them too.

(both positive and negative, I should note, though not sure how various stats like fighter durability apply to it
[close]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:57:49 PM by Flunky »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 08, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

On using story points to re-roll traits:
I have plans to introduce a bar event that will allow players to periodically exert a small amount of control over the traits their ships have. Basically, it will let you spend a story point to swap a randomly selected trait from a randomly selected ship in your fleet with any of several traits of the same sign/goodness. I... hope that sentence made sense.

- Ships with S-mods gaining reputation a bit faster, like 5/10/15% or so? It seems like the sort of thing that'd mark a ship as something special, rare and, in spacer circles, worth talking about.
That could be neat, but I think it might not be worth the additional complexity, since upgraded ships will already gain more, better traits simply by virtue of performing better in battle.

You're likely already aware, but:

Spoiler
The Ziggurat encounter at Alpha Site gets Legends bonuses, and quite a massive array of them too.

(both positive and negative, I should note, though not sure how various stats like fighter durability apply to it
[close]
I was not aware, but I suppose it makes sense given that the number of traits scales with the level of the commanding officer. Still trying to make it to late-game content so I can better understand how my mods interact with the game at that point, but I don't have much time. How many traits did the enemy fleet have?

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 08, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »

Unfortunately don't recall the exact number, but somewhere between 6 and 10? Not a truly absurd number, just a bit surprising to find traits on an already pretty tricky confrontation.

Was still able to punch through it with a dedicated fleet (after 'acceptable' casualties), and I'm no master at the game, so it doesn't make it insurmountable.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 09, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »

Ah, ok. Thanks for the details! I probably should add some sort of cap to keep over-leveled fleet commanders like that from getting too crazy.

iseethings

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 12, 2021, 06:17:50 AM »

Has anyone had their traits disappear randomly from ships without warning? I can for some reason fix it by transferring the ship to storage, ( yeah the trait just comes back idk) and back but its still kinda weird.

Maybe im having ram issues? Its honestly confusing.

Edit: Agh, its caused by saving and reloading so its probably memory related. I assume anyway. And it only happens to the Diable Avionics shears too so i give up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:53:11 AM by iseethings »

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 12, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »

Am I blind, or is the download link missing on the first post? (I was able to get it from discord.)

NDogmeat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 12, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »

Am I blind, or is the download link missing on the first post? (I was able to get it from discord.)

I'm as blind as you are...

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 12, 2021, 09:07:02 AM »

Has anyone had their traits disappear randomly from ships without warning? I can for some reason fix it by transferring the ship to storage, ( yeah the trait just comes back idk) and back but its still kinda weird.

Maybe im having ram issues? Its honestly confusing.

Edit: Agh, its caused by saving and reloading so its probably memory related. I assume anyway. And it only happens to the Diable Avionics shears too so i give up.
Hey, thanks for mentioning this! I'm not aware of anything like that. Can't reproduce it on my end by adding traits to shears, saving, and reloading. Would you mind providing a few more details so I can get to the bottom of it?
  • Does this occur with one specific ship, or all Shears?
  • Is the entire reputation hullmod being lost, or just one trait?
  • Is it one of the tug specific traits being lost (hot/cool running drive stabilizer)?
  • Do any starship legends related errors appear in the log when this occurs? (Search for "ERROR starship_legends")
Thanks for any details you can provide!

Hmm... yeah, it's not showing up for some reason. Looks like the service that provides those fancy download-count buttons is down.  I'll put up a simple link to the download

iseethings

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 12, 2021, 11:18:12 AM »

Welp it appears to be all of the civilian ships that are doing it instead of just the shears, and considering no one else is having this problem I must be running into an outside context mod conflict/ram issue so crud. ( The whole hullmod that simulates the traits disappears.)

Even after checking the logs no errors are reported even with careful reproduction of the situation. I realllly wanna lean toward ram but I don't really know if that would be the issue as I'm not to experienced with troubleshooting starsector.

I can just backtrack to a station to fix it so nothing totally game breaking is happening.

(I was going to attach my log but apparently it was too large. That made me sad.)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 81