Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 82

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 777357 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.1.7 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:08 AM »

Yes, it is an old save.
Just for further fruitiness:
Spoiler
[close]
Defending against an expedition. Again, just deploy whatever.
One AI ship did particularly well and got a big red mark. Same as above.

So is the new version not entirely backwards compatible?
Because restarting is not exactly a huge deal.

frozentoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2019, 08:56:37 AM »

The new system is rating ships based on their cumulative (recent) history. How this interacts with existing save data may be funny, because your recent history isn't stored yet - it will probably 'even out' over time but at first you're going to see sharp changes because some of the math is starting from zero, but other parts of the math already have values in place.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:50 AM »

I should have explained all this earlier. Sorry for not doing so!

An overdue explanation of how the new combat rating system interacts with old saves:

How the new system works:
  • Combat rating determines how many of a ship's traits are good.
  • Traits will gradually shift to have a percentage of good traits equal to the current rating of the ship.
  • If a ship has a rating of 70% for a long time, it will eventually end up with about 70% good traits and 30% bad traits.
So, unlike the previous version, where traits are determined by individual battles, in 1.1.7 it's more about maintaining as high a rating as possible.

Initial Rating
When an old save is loaded with the current version, it will try to guess what each of your ship's combat rating should be.
(SCC, the thing I warned you about was that this calculation was being performed incorrectly in the dev build)
It will assign a rating of 100% to ships with 8 good traits and 0% to ships with 8 bad traits. Ship's with 1 or 2 traits should get an initial rating fairly close to 50%.

Rationale for change:
The old system was simply too easy to manipulate. Any ship that did fairly well in most battles would eventually end up with 8 good traits. I used RNG to mitigate this problem, but that had issues of its own, and the law of averages always wins out in the end anyway. With the rating system, I think ships will end up with a much more balanced mix of good and bad traits that more accurately reflects their overall combat performance.

Switching back to the old system:
Making the following changes to your options file should return the trait bonus calculation to exactly how it used to be:
Set "useRatingFromLastBattleAsBasisForBonusChance" to true
Set "bonusChanceRandomness" to 1.0

@Serenitis: So the reason your ships got so many bad trait changes was probably because they all started out with 8 good traits, giving them an initial rating of 100% (which is the required rating to have nothing but good traits). Even though they all did well in that battle, they didn't do well enough to earn a max rating, so it was adjusted down (along with their traits)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »

The new system is rating ships based on their cumulative (recent) history. How this interacts with existing save data may be funny, because your recent history isn't stored yet - it will probably 'even out' over time but at first you're going to see sharp changes because some of the math is starting from zero, but other parts of the math already have values in place.
Yep, pretty much. Thanks for explaining.

One change I'd propose is to have a grace period of a couple of fights where ships affect their rating, but don't gain any traits at all.
That's a good idea. I probably should've done something like that, but I'd hesitate to complicate the code for the sake of a smoother version transition. It's too late now anyway. Combat ratings will still be tracked even if they're not used to adjust traits, so it's possible to manually make it work that way.

Or you could just add yours right after.
Yeah, but again, I don't like to make changes unless I can do them right. The screen space for notifications often gets too cluttered after battles even without redundant notifications.

Yeah, Steelclad has an entire faction that is all armor, no shields (and no armor regen by default).
Hmm..perhaps a check if a ship has shields an then a different calculation for it?
The current calculation doesn't penalize ships for taking armor damage, so I don't see why this would be necessary. Non-shield defenses can be just as viable as shields (all vanilla phase ships, for example).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »

Interesting changes! I'll give the new version a shot on my next new game, as I'm nearly endgame on my current save.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »

That's actually a decent change. Most ships that got deployed regularly in the previous version tended to get a 'perfect' set of traits after a few dozen battles regardless.
Was just a bit confusing seeing what it was doing without knowing why. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to run that old save for a while just to see what it does.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2019, 10:34:14 PM »

During these long, huge battles in the endgame (where I'm flying a Victory battleship around with many cruisers and carriers, four colonies, Nexerelin with 11 mods in total), this mod has become pretty essential.  The legendary Captains with loyal crews appear to have immense endurance, and they need it.  Sometimes I am only allowed to field six total ships at the beginning of an engagement, against huge odds.

Decommissioning a legendary ship, or even moving a Captain to a new ship, is a really big deal:  so far it has only made sense to upgrade a Captain to a bigger/better ship.

For me, this mod is fantastic in the way that it brings a while additional heap of Rogue-like game elements:    When I start a new game, not only do I not know what sort of ship roster I will end up building, I have no idea how my people will turn out.  If i minimize losses, I am generally rewarded with better ships.  The icing on the cake is that the mod is compatible with the other ten mods I have in this game instance.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2019, 11:14:27 PM »

It definitely tweaks the officer leveling metagame. Before, I would aim to train captains for a small set of roles (armor brawler, shield skirmish, carrier) then swap them liberally within those roles.

The fact that a loyal crew can keep a ship relevant for what feels like 2x the typical duration keeps smaller ships viable longer. More importantly, it really encourages specializing your ships to your captains down to individual skills.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.1.8 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2019, 11:55:51 PM »

Starship Legends 1.1.8 (BETA)

Fixed miscellaneous bugs related to damage calculations (eventually I'll get it right)
Fixed additional credit being awarded for landing the killing blow to a station
Fixed battle difficulty calculation failing to account for D-Mods, along with a few other issues
Fixed inital rating for newly notable ships not being applied
Fixed debug information appearing in reputation hullmod tooltips
Damage dealt to non-functional station sections (like armor sections) no longer counts as hull damage
Added new option: "showCombatRatings"

Edit: This version requires the most up-to-date version of Starsector
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:54:39 PM by Sundog »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »

Recommended Option 'Presets'

The options file is very flexible, but it can be a bit complicated and hard to understand.
These edits are meant as a starting point for configuring Starship Legends to fit your preferred playstyle.

Spoiler
Author's Choice (Default)
The default settings are meant to give ships a fairly even mix of good and bad traits while making it possible (but very difficult) for them to eventually earn perfect reputations through exceptional performance in combat.
The FAQs go into detail about how Starship Legends works by default.

Perfect Balance
For those who want to add flavor to ships without upsetting the balance of the game more than necessary.
With these settings, every other trait will have a negative effect, and no effects will be applied due to loyalty.
"battleDifficultyMult":0.0,
"damageTakenMult":0.0,
"damageDealtMult":0.0,
"enableOfficerLoyaltySystem":false,
"showCombatRatings":false,

Unlimited Power
It's a single player game, so there's no such thing as cheating  ;)
These settings guarantee that traits will always be beneficial and crews will never become less loyal to their captains.
"ignoreAllMaluses":true,
"useRatingFromLastBattleAsBasisForBonusChance":true,
"worsenLoyaltyChanceMult":0.0,

Completely Random
These settings will leave the number of good and bad traits a ship gets up to chance.
"bonusChanceRandomness":1000.0,
"traitPositionChangeChanceMult":0.0,

Better Immersion
With these settings, reputation changes will be determined by the ship's performance in the battle in which the changes were earned.
"useRatingFromLastBattleAsBasisForBonusChance":true,
"traitPositionChangeChanceMult":1.0,
"showCombatRatings":false,
[close]

That's actually a decent change. Most ships that got deployed regularly in the previous version tended to get a 'perfect' set of traits after a few dozen battles regardless.
Yep, exactly. Hopefully the new system turns out to be a lot harder to manipulate while still being fair.

Was just a bit confusing seeing what it was doing without knowing why. Thanks for the clarification.
No problem. Sorry I didn't clarify sooner!

@eidolad & Null Ganymede: I'm glad the mod is working out well for you guys!  :D
I'm particularly happy to hear about it encouraging diversity in officer builds and fleet compositions  :)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »

When starting a fight with a bounty.

Code
870530 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.CombatEngineAPI.isEnemyInFullRetreat()Z
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.CombatEngineAPI.isEnemyInFullRetreat()Z
at starship_legends.CombatPlugin.advance(CombatPlugin.java:93)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.ooOO.o0oO$Oo.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.oOOO.new.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starsector 0.9.1a-RC6 launcher
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running in D:\Games\Starsector0.91\starsector-core
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Windows 8.1 6.3
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.7.0_79 (64-bit)

I reverted to 1.17 and works normally.

Morathar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »

According to the patch notes, that missing method was added in Starsector 0.9.1a RC8:

-Added to CombatEngineAPI:
    -boolean isEnemyInFullRetreat();

In other words, it looks like the latest version of Starship Legends requires the most recent Starsector hotfix...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:11:42 AM by Morathar »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »

According to the patch notes, that missing method was added in Starsector 0.9.1a RC8:

-Added to CombatEngineAPI:
    -boolean isEnemyInFullRetreat();

In other words, it looks like the latest version of Starship Legends requires the most recent Starsector hotfix...
Yep, exactly. I should've mentioned this in the update post.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.1.9 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »

Starship Legends 1.1.9 (BETA)

Fixes the lack of backwards compatibility introduced in the last patch

When used with an out-of-date version of Starsector, the previous version of Starship Legends would report an error during battle and fail to properly record damage data.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:55:00 PM by Sundog »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.1.9 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »

I was'nt even aware there as a hotfix.....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 82