Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768500 times)

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Legends - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »

I hope not. There's many enough factors when trying to get optimal performance out of a ship, I don't need a trait popping out of the blue and ruining a crucial stat. I'd much rather have it stay optional.

I'm with this - while I really like this mod and plan on playing with it, I would prefer it stay a mod. Getting good traits is going to be based on difficulty a lot it seems (which I really like), but that means its somewhat new player unfriendly. If I were struggling with combat, it wouldn't be very nice for the game to insult my barely won victory with losses in loyalty and bad traits.

Thirded, I would not want this in the base game, at least just copied wholesale (Though I wouldn't mind titles for my ships based on performance, just no buffs). Without significant changes to endgame, it would make it even easier still while the potential negatives could make early game harder.

Secondly, officers already do something like this to a lesser extent (since you can steer their level ups and pick their personality, maybe that can be something to help against the RNG for Legends), but officers are optional and limited in scope unless you choose to focus them. With RNG applying to both officers and ships, it would just make the game feel more "all about luck" and less about the full player agency we have now when it comes to the ships and fleet as a whole.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

I just think the whole "full player agency" is not as desireable as it seems. The endgame of Starsector is entirely solved or solveable. And it's the same, every time. Some RNG, some flavor, is exactly what it needs. Some that makes a player fleet of x ships different from an AI fleet of the same x ships. Personality. The old veterancy system kind of did it - but this is much better than that. The stat boosts are small enough in the early game to not wreck ships anyway - and by the time you get to the big numbers you can easily replace ships if you really insist on being "optimal".

Obviously, a proper vanilla supported implementation of it might smooth the edges down somewhat, but the core is incredible and exactly what Starsector is missing (it's essentially procedural loot, but less fiddly).

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »

Being penalized for doing poorly is pretty consistent with the unforgiving supply/fuel grind new players run into. Compared to that, the performance penalties are minor.

errorgance

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Starship Legends 1.0.3 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »

I like the concept, but I must raise my eyebrows at permanent negative effects, that is a serious problem which needs a method of redress, even the dreaded orange bars have a method for repair.
I'd like to see a system for negative reputation/crew moral to improve as well, such as switching out captains (or putting an officer into a ship without one to restore discipline) and/or multiple successful battles where the crews moral can improve.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Starship Legends 1.0.3 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »

I like the concept, but I must raise my eyebrows at permanent negative effects, that is a serious problem which needs a method of redress, even the dreaded orange bars have a method for repair.
Traits will be less permanent in the next update.

I'd like to see a system for negative reputation/crew moral to improve as well, such as switching out captains (or putting an officer into a ship without one to restore discipline) and/or multiple successful battles where the crews moral can improve.
Loyalty is how morale is represented in this mod, and it does improve or worsen a ship's traits. I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but it seems pretty similar (at least in terms of the end result) to this work-in-progress feature.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.1.0 (BETA)

Fixed an error caused by crew loyalty changes without new traits. The error was introduced in the last patch. Sorry about that!
(This should be compatible with previous saves, but please let me know if you find out otherwise.)

ADDITIONS
   Instead of notifications, a battle report is now created that details all reputation changes from the battle
   A ship's traits can now change positions or even be removed based on how well they perform in combat
   Reputations can now be completely reset by mothballing a ship for 30 consecutive days per trait
   Added 2 new levels of loyalty and reworked the loyalty fluctuation system
   New trait type: Dutiful/Obstinate Crew - affects chance of improving loyalty
   Added support for ships with no crew requirement, including renamed crew traits (e.g. "Cooperative AI Persona" instead of "Dutiful Crew")

FIXES
   Fixed trait limit not being applied (by default there should never be more than 2 traits per tier). Existing ships with more than 2 traits per tier should be fixed automatically
   Ship restoration no longer removes reputation hullmods (fixed by Starsector version 0.9.1a)
   Fixed removal of pre-existing duplicate trait types not working
   Fixed trait effects not applying to ships in storage
   Fixed mothballed ships being able to earn traits
   Fixed issue that occasionally allowed reputation changes to persist after reloading
   Corrected spelling of "Volitile Flux Core" to "Volatile Flux Core"

REPUTATION GROWTH CHANGES
   Reworked calculation for chance of getting positive vs negative traits (see FAQs for the exact formula)
   Ships that take less than 5% total hull damage in battle will not get a bad defense trait for that battle
   Ships that deal more deployment-cost worth of damage than their own cost-to-deploy will not get a bad offensive trait for that battle
   Civilian ships are now far less likely to gain new traits beyond "Notable" tier

TRAIT BASE EFFECT BALANCE
   Agile/Clunky increased from 1 to 3 (maneuverability)
   Durable/Fragile increased from 1 to 2 (hull integrity)
   Fast/Slow Turret Gyros increased from 3 to 4 (weapon turn rate)
   Robust/Glitchy increased from 2 to 3 (EMP resistance)
   Durable/Fragile Mounts increased from 3 to 4 (weapon durability)
   Durable/Fragile Engines increased from 3 to 4 (engine durability)
   Skilled/Incompetent Engineers increased from 2 to 3 (repair rate)
   Removed Meager Fuel Tanks and Meager Cargo Hold traits, which should automatically be removed from existing games on load
   Changed Ample Fuel Tanks and Ample Cargo Holds to a flat bonus based on hull size
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:48:03 PM by Sundog »

Oblivion

• Ensign
  • Breaking careful game balance since 1999.
    • View Profile

Would this be compatible with 0.9a?
<Nada>

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Very cool! I'll add it to my next new game and give overly critical responses. :D

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.1.1 (BETA)

Fixed an error caused by crew loyalty changes without new traits. The error was introduced in the last patch. Sorry about that!

Fixed issue preventing loss of loyalty in most cases

Would this be compatible with 0.9a?
I think so.

Very cool! I'll add it to my next new game and give overly critical responses. :D
Good!  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:48:28 PM by Sundog »

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Suggestion: Add a 0 OP hull mod to flag ships to keep reputation while mothballed, call it "Museum Ship" or something.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Suggestion: Add a 0 OP hull mod to flag ships to keep reputation while mothballed, call it "Museum Ship" or something.
So one of the changes between 0.9 and 0.9.1 is that you can put ships in storage without mothballing them, allowing you to store a ship for any length of time without resetting its reputation. Because of this, I don't think such a flag is necessary.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.1.2 (BETA)

Fixed failure to properly handle some unconventional battles (automated defenses, stations, scripted events, etc.)
Added a description of what a trait does in the notes section of battle reports when a new trait is gained
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:48:47 PM by Sundog »

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

So one of the changes between 0.9 and 0.9.1 is that you can put ships in storage without mothballing them, allowing you to store a ship for any length of time without resetting its reputation. Because of this, I don't think such a flag is necessary.

Oh, huh, I must have missed that one.

Ali

• Commander
    • View Profile

"A ship's traits can now change positions or even be removed based on how well they perform in combat"

Is there an option to disable / adjust likelihood of this in settings at all?

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2019, 01:16:44 AM »

Being penalized for doing poorly is pretty consistent with the unforgiving supply/fuel grind new players run into. Compared to that, the performance penalties are minor.

This. Laste game fleets guzzle so much supplies and fuel, that a planet cannot provide for them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81