Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 769144 times)

MattyK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Starship Legends 2.1.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #960 on: September 21, 2022, 08:10:58 AM »

How do you know what reputation your ship is at?

Refit screen, it's shown above your hullmods. If there's no reputation (Notable, Well Known, Famous, etc.) then it hasn't received enough EXP to earn it a trait yet.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 22, 2022, 09:20:03 PM »

I'd like to know if cursed is working as intended.
I vaguely remember fixing a bug like what you described, but I don't see it in the change log, so I might be mistaken. Have you seen the same problem with excessive malfunctions again since updating to the most recent version? Thanks for letting me know about the issue!

I just updated the game from 0.95 and have been playing for a bit. Only after looking into the cursed issue did I realize you changed how traits were gained. I love this mod, but the change feels really bad. I can understand why you did it, but it still hurts having no impact in regard to what traits we get.
You've given us the ability to see rumored traits, but is there anyway we could perhaps choose what they are? Actually having the crew work towards a specific goal, would be nice. Like a general area of focus as opposed to actually just picking the traits.
I miss a lot of things about traits being based on combat performance as well, but sadly the down sides were too much...
You do still have some impact on trait growth in version 2 though. There are events that allow you to replace a good trait with a different good trait (and same for bad traits). With high enough loyalty you can also get events that allow you to "fix" bad traits in exchange for losing some loyalty.

Anyways, thanks for the mod. It's good enough that it should be in vanilla.
Thanks!  ;D

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 28, 2022, 01:28:00 AM »

I don't really understand the INI file.

What I want to do:

• Make positive traits more likely. None of my ships have more than 1 positive to go with the negative.
  • Make traits weaker overall.

Halp?
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 28, 2022, 04:57:10 PM »

Sounds like you'll want to reduce "globalEffectMult" and "maxInitialNegativeTraits"
Reducing "globalEffectMult" will make the traits of enemy NPC fleets weaker as well, so if you want that to stay the same you'll need to adjust "fleetTraitEffectMult" to compensate. So if you reduce globalEffectMult by half, for example, you'd want to double fleetTraitEffectMult

None of my ships have more than 1 positive to go with the negative.
I think it's worth pointing out here that ships earn the "worst" trait pairs first, so new ships will often start off with worse reputations than what they'll end up with.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 29, 2022, 03:17:22 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that.

I went with 0.75 and no fleet adjustment. Let's see how that goes :)
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

DanzyDanz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2022, 05:47:41 AM »

coulda swore there was an options to have more than 2 traits per tier. did it disappear? if so, how to add it back?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2022, 07:45:28 AM »

You're right. In version 2 I restructured everything so that traits are earned only in pairs, making the "traitsPerTier" setting obsolete. However, there is a "secret" setting called "traitPairsPerTier" that you can add to the settings file. It's not in there by default because it hasn't been tested properly yet and might cause issues, so use at your own risk, and if you do, please report any issues so I can fix them up. You can add the setting by adding the line below to any part of the configuration file.
"traitPairsPerTier":1,

Coward

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »

You're right. In version 2 I restructured everything so that traits are earned only in pairs, making the "traitsPerTier" setting obsolete. However, there is a "secret" setting called "traitPairsPerTier" that you can add to the settings file. It's not in there by default because it hasn't been tested properly yet and might cause issues, so use at your own risk, and if you do, please report any issues so I can fix them up. You can add the setting by adding the line below to any part of the configuration file.

I have been using this option for a while + configuring SL to only provide positive traits (I like protagonist syndrome ok), but I've noticed that this only seems to work properly with a trairPairsPerTier value of 2; I have it currently set to 3, but eventually ships stop earning traits at Famous level, and the "Rumored Traits" show no new traits to earn

Adding new traits manually on top of the existing traits of a famous ship works fine, and correctly pushes it up to Legendary, so I assume this is unintended behavior of some sort

DanzyDanz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2022, 06:25:03 PM »

"traitPairsPerTier":1,

Thanks! I just got back to the sector since .95a, can't start a playthrough without this mod!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2022, 09:19:23 PM »

I have been using this option for a while + configuring SL to only provide positive traits (I like protagonist syndrome ok), but I've noticed that this only seems to work properly with a trairPairsPerTier value of 2; I have it currently set to 3, but eventually ships stop earning traits at Famous level, and the "Rumored Traits" show no new traits to earn

Adding new traits manually on top of the existing traits of a famous ship works fine, and correctly pushes it up to Legendary, so I assume this is unintended behavior of some sort
Thanks for the info! I took a quick look and reproduced similar behavior. Pretty sure I know why this happens, but I need to do a bit more digging. I should have it fixed up for the next update.

Thanks! I just got back to the sector since .95a, can't start a playthrough without this mod!
;D Have fun!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 06, 2022, 02:41:32 PM »

So this one's a weird little corner case: I picked up the Ziggurat, immediately mothballed it (didn't quite have the crew on hand for it), and a bit later the little scrolling message went by saying it had gained traits... but it used trait descriptions as if it were an AI-controlled hull.

The mouseover in the refit screen shows the correct crewed-hull terms, however.

I'd guess that this is due to the hull being mothballed, and thus technically having a skeleton crew requirement of zero? But I haven't tested this with other hulls.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 06, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »

Its been a long time but i swore bad trait would turn into good trait after enough xp was earned, isnt it a feature anymore?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »

I'd guess that this is due to the hull being mothballed, and thus technically having a skeleton crew requirement of zero?
Yup! Someone else reported this recently and it's on my to do list. Thanks for pointing it out!

Its been a long time but i swore bad trait would turn into good trait after enough xp was earned, isnt it a feature anymore?
Prior to version 2 traits would sometimes be added and removed based roughly on combat performance. Traits can be improved and adjusted in the current version as well, but not in the same way. Now, you will sometimes get the choice to "fix" a bad trait when the crew of a ship becomes loyal enough to their officer.

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 10, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »

I'd like to know if cursed is working as intended.
I vaguely remember fixing a bug like what you described, but I don't see it in the change log, so I might be mistaken. Have you seen the same problem with excessive malfunctions again since updating to the most recent version? Thanks for letting me know about the issue!

I went back to the save before I removed the cursed trait and took a quick video. The malfunctions do seem to happen at random times. Sometimes there's not many malfunctions, but other times I was having 2 things constantly down. I sped up combat by x2 so this isn't as bad as it looks, but it still seems excessive. I've had combat starts where both engines would flame out immediately which, while funny, is really annoying. This is on 2.1.2

https://youtu.be/NSyltNzxAes
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 10:00:07 AM by Thogapotomus »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 10, 2022, 12:38:00 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to make the video! That is a bit more dysfunctional than I'd expect...

So I counted 6 malfunctions over 90 seconds, which is actually 180 since time is doubled with Speed Up. So 2 malfunctions per minute. "2.5% malfunction chance" means (or is supposed to mean) that there is a 2.5% chance of a random malfunction about once per second, which roughly works out to 1.5 malfunctions per minute. Not too far off, but I agree that it's too much. I took a look at the relevant code and noticed a mistake that would cause the malfunction chance to proc about twice as often as intended, so I fixed that up. Cursed will still be more debilitating than other negative traits, but hopefully that will make it a bit less annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 81