Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Memorable features from the past  (Read 7402 times)

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Memorable features from the past
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »

V0.7 : ? I didn't play much around this patch
Speedy speed boy Conquest.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 09:18:10 PM »

All ballistics had ammo.  A later 0.6.5 release gave them charges like autopulse.  After that, ballistics became unlimited.

Ha, I'd forgotten that one! I remember thinking it was a disappointing change because I thought it would make weapons too same-y. Funny, in hindsight, because I find the trade-offs I have to weigh when choosing between weapon types now far more compelling than I did back then.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »

Phase cloak before 0.7.2 did not have time shaft, and did not have cooldown.
Who's the sleek black ship
That's a time machine to all the fleets? (Shaft)
You're damn right

I sometimes still catch myself trying to do that flickerphase thing to avoid being hit.
As you can imagine, a reminder of the current mechanics quickly follows.

Infinite sensors. Or rather no sensor mechanics implemented yet.
You can see every fleet that exists. And even before most of the systems existed, it gave you a good impression of just how busy the sector really is.
It'd be interesting to see how the 'modern' sector looks through this lens.

No movement inhibition. Aka Interdiction Pulse not existing.
Fleets are isoloated entities. No joining behaviour.

Hostile fleets could be 'herded' with a little effort, allowing you to pick off straggling fleets and potentially harvest ships for your own use.
You could run orbits around Sindria with various Lion's Guard fleets following you like a scene from Benny Hill, while you swoop down on targets as they appear in a effort to steal thier delicious Tempests.
The last grand age of clown piracy was 0.6.5.

Boarding/Salvage mechanics were a horrible mess of micromanagement and (lack of) luck.

Carrying marines around all the time, just in case.
Capricious RNG deciding whether to make anything recoverable at all.
Either a fleet full of disposable shuttles, or the biggest clunkiest most up-armored heap of trash you can make for carrying the marines over and docking. (Or not care and dock with your fleet ships and just try to work around your moon-sized balls I suppose.)
Because boarded ships have a chance to explode and maybe take the docked ship with it. Why? Because RNG loves your misery.
P. glad this nonsense is gone.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 02:08:50 AM »

Individual fighters. Man, I loved how a single Gemini and an assortment of fighters can take on a fleet of 20 Pirate ships.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 02:39:46 AM »

Although, at one point fighter wing took hundreds of supplies to recover, and I was like wtf was eating all my supplies?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »

-Loadout Design giving a total of 30 or even 50%! more OP
-Navigation making your fleet nigh uncatchable
-The OLD .54 style of boarding
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:22:29 AM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »

-Loadout Design giving a total of 30 or even 50%! more OP
Technology Aptitude = +1% per AP
Computer Systems = +2% per SP (later +1%)
Mechanical Engineering = +2% per SP (later +1%)

That did not include Optimized Assembly from Ordnance Expert 10, for OP discount on weapons and effectively have even more OP to spend.  Ordnance Expert alone was worth Combat 10, and that was not the best Combat perk.  In-combat hull regeneration from Damage Control 10 was the biggest enabler of soloing fleets.

Loadout Design came in 0.8 after that first skill revamp.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:51:31 AM by Megas »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »

Few more from pre-0.6:

Rock-Paper-Scissors type choices before fighting to determine how much DP you and the enemy started with.  Pointless since experienced player always knew the correct option (because the AI was totally predictable).

If your fleet was small enough, the game automatically deployed all of your ships.  Only after your fleet gets big enough that you can choose what to deploy.

Pursuit was almost identical to normal battle, except player could only retreat at the enemy's side of the screen (at the top) instead of your side at the bottom.  Trying to flee in a pursuit means you cannot retreat at the bottom of the screen where you spawn, and you must travel to the enemy's side of the border to leave the arena.  Therefore, the best way to flee is to select a normal fight option then retreat at the bottom of the screen.  Fleeing from a non-pursuit fight gave your ships a small chance of being automatically lost to the enemy (either captured or sabotaged), but it was still better than watching your (outmatched) ships getting picked off trying to flee across the screen to the top.  In other words, player would probably lose more ships fleeing (to the top) via pursuit instead of simply start a normal fight then immediately turn and run away at the bottom.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »

I miss crew veterancy levels. It was a little overdesigned as it was, but I'd actually love to see it come back in a limited form like maybe just having regular crew and Elite crew, which couldn't be bought and would provide a little (+5%?) max CR bonus.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Destructively Phased

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »

Fighters being independent of ships. Yeah, the new carrier mechanics are better, but I miss being able to pick up 2 wings of talons at the right at the star and throwing them at the enemy to get splatted.

Or in a pursuit, deploying 4 wings of daggers (with reapers) and watching whatever big target I wanted dead just blowing up.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

I miss crew veterancy levels. It was a little overdesigned as it was, but I'd actually love to see it come back in a limited form like maybe just having regular crew and Elite crew, which couldn't be bought and would provide a little (+5%?) max CR bonus.
I liked that as well. I would take them even if all crew types were equivalent in all crew-requiring situations and more experienced crew was barely profitable to sell. I just liked my whole fleet getting better, even ships with no officers. But, well, I guess it's gone now.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »

Yeah, I miss this as well; it gave a bit more meaning to hullmods like "blast doors", as crew become more valuable and worth protecting over time.

A mod by sundog: "Starship Legends" that Alex posted about on his twitter looked like it might make crew a little more interesting albeit a bit more indirectly:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15321.0

I haven't tried the mod (waiting for 0.9.1a first and a vanilla play through), but it looks promising at a glance.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 05:21:38 AM »

I am glad crew levels are gone.  No more crew Tetris.  Also, less inverted game difficulty thanks to green crew early (too low CR) and elite crew a given by endgame.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:16 AM »

In-combat hull regeneration from Damage Control 10 was the biggest enabler of soloing fleets.
This was an amazing ability. I genuinely miss being able to come back from the brink / recover from a mistake like that.
I've been half-heartedly trying to replicate that ability on a modded version of the automated repair unit, but I'm bad at java and don't really have the time/motivation to learn.
Pages: 1 [2]