Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 266982 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.7 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2020, 03:36:59 AM »

This mod plus starfarer mode make this game borderline impossible to legit run. It's really fun if you think about it  ;D

I'm running ruthless sector, second wave options and starfarer mode all at once and I'm doing great actually. The secret mostly lies within
1)having a high margin between detection range and your own fleet's signature
2)using supply/fuel efficient ships up until late game
3)Getting good relations with pirates/luddic path/starlight cabal/ every possible pirate-like faction in the game
3)traveling hyperspace like a blind, anorexic wealthy man on foot thru Detroit
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2020, 04:02:46 AM »

I love how my 10K crew cost more than 4 planets i own, good time.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.4 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »

You fixed a bug of your mod blaming itself for crashes instead of other mods?
Yeah, it's a bit silly, but it's really just a consequence of how error handling works. Here's a more detailed explanation: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15279.msg301385#msg301385

I'm running ruthless sector, second wave options and starfarer mode all at once and I'm doing great actually.
What, no spacer start?! (not that I'd recommend it...)

I love how my 10K crew cost more than 4 planets i own, good time.
Yeah, finances becomes a lot tougher without generous stipends. I'd start laying people off if I were you   :)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:22 AM »

Oh I would not recommend Spacer start either, I actually did a single in-faction frigade start instead, wich was worth 4FP, had 10 cargo space and no shield generator (it's the Streak from HMI by the way, nasty little thing, especially if it's got at least 4 D-mods to get a lot of extra OP).

You buy a Dram and do basic derelict mission first, planet survey missions later when you got more combat ships/a small troop transport. The start is virtually identical if you also reduce the starting funds to 2000 credits aside from the fact you can pick a right with Explorarium drones. I've got some very close calls made even closer by Iron Mode xD
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:18:53 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »

Could you please add an option to remove the officers from hyperspace remnant fleets, or increase the difficulty of the hyperspace remnant fleets as you get further away from the core worlds, ideally making it so that the remnants bordering the core worlds are a minor threat at worst, leaving the fringe remnants to be full-on ordos? (Ideally configurable so adjusted sector doesnt get shafted)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »

[snip] increase the difficulty of the hyperspace remnant fleets as you get further away from the core worlds, ideally making it so that the remnants bordering the core worlds are a minor threat at worst, leaving the fringe remnants to be full-on ordos?
This should be the case already, however...

(Ideally configurable so adjusted sector doesnt get shafted)
I'm not sure how it interacts with adjusted sector. It should scale with the increased size of the map, but I might not be accounting for other changes. I'll take a look.

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »

That's good to hear, however, I feel like the core world remnants are kind of overly powerful for being remnant fragments, since they have officers on most of their ships... which is why I asked if it was possible to disable their having officers.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »

I think it's kinda complicated, because if you spawn any fleet using console command it will have officer even if it's just low level officer.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

hollow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2021, 06:20:28 AM »

can this mod give the ability to use e burn for remnent ships??

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2021, 06:47:43 AM »

e burn?

hollow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2021, 12:25:50 PM »

emergency burn

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2021, 12:31:30 PM »

Oh maybe, they can gang up on you too.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2021, 07:27:47 AM »

Oh, and instead using E burns, just maximise your burn level with the Ox-class ship until you hit that sweet 20 burn. You will outrun anyone or anything with that.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2021, 08:00:01 AM »

can this mod give the ability to use e burn for remnent ships??
It can't. I would like to add a setting to adjust how effectively remnants pursue, but I haven't settled on the best way to do that. At one point I tried increasing the range of their interdiction pulses, but, if I recall correctly, I couldn't find a good way to do it without increasing it for all fleets. I expect that this mod will need quite a few adjustments for the next version of starsector, so I'll reevaluate once I've played that a bit.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2021, 04:35:36 AM »

Among the "Sundog modding compilation" mods, i think Ruthless Sector is probably the one i care about the most.  The mod does adds quite a few things, all pretty good. But one thing stands out from the rest : the addition of Remnants patrols in hyperspace.

Vanilla's hyperspace is boring. Once i reach a solid enough fleet capable of warding off the wandering pirates and pathers, i always lay course to my destination and alt-tab away, ignoring storms and whatnot. Basically, i'm waiting for time to pass. I always considered that waiting because you have to wait is not good game mechanic. On the other hand, waiting because the player wants to wait is brilliant. But maybe that's for another topic. My point is, vanilla hyperspace lacks interesting interaction, it's boring.

Adding remnants in that big emptiness is a brilliant move. First of all, alt-tabbing away is no longer possible because no matter how big your fleet is, you can't ignore the potential AI gank squad. The outer rim is now a risky place, but not just a risky place, it also became a place of opportunity.

The thing is, it wouldn't have been as interesting if it was just some pirates or pathers lurking in the darkness. In fact, those would just have been an annoyance to avoid. Unless there is a bounty on their heads, pirates tends to waste the player's time. Fighting them will cost supplies, they are rarely exiting encounters and earn very little reward. Remnants on the other hand, are much more dangerous, but the reward is also much greater. High-end weapons and those sweet, sweet AI cores. One exemple : Pirates hit-list fleets from Nexerelin offers very little reward in fighting them. Running is often the most judicious option. They're an annoyance. Fortunately they do not occur with sufficient frequency to become aggravating.

That's why i really like this mod. Hyperspace is now a place of risk AND opportunity. There's an Ordo trailing me. Do i square against that Radiant for potential good loot? But i may lose some ships in the process... It offers the player a choice in a place where not much usually happens, and that's amazing. Add on top of that the hyperwarp jump mod (that is also in my must-have modding list), things can get even more heated by allowing them to "jump" next to you. It's dangerous but not just punishing, it's fun.

That's why i consider Ruthless Sector to be part of the indispensable overhaul mods like Combat Chatter or Secrets of the Frontier. It takes something that vanilla is lacking, or not great, and refine it into something worth my time. It's something i hope Alex will take inspiration from in the development of Starsector.

I wish others mods would add their own content into hyperspace for variety. But again, just adding enemies isn't enough, there must be a good reason/reward to fight theses enemies. Encountering Blade Breaker raiders or some Seeker anomalous ship in the middle of nowhere would keep things interesting throughout a campaign.

One thing i noticed, not related to this feature. I think the danger rating from ruthless sector favors D mods too much. Sometimes i purposely wrecked my own ships to gain D mods just to get better ratings and perks from Starship legends. Factions like the HMI Junkers that cumulate an excessive amount of D mods tends to get favorable ratings at the end of the battle, even with 90% fleet loss. Although the Junkers are a special case, i still feel one or two D mods is very beneficial to "grind" those good traits even for a normal ship.

In the same vein, danger rating for boss fleets (looking at you Seeker) tends to be very low, despite being some of the most dangerous encounters in the game. Perhaps because it contains fewer ships that a normal fleet? Even if i win such battle, i can end up with negative traits on most of my ships.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16