Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 267174 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.6 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! There's a 6.4% chance for four or more remnant fleets to spawn at the same time, so you got pretty unlucky there. Four does seem excessive even if it's rare though, so I might just apply a cap of three. Something else I've considered is gradually ramping up the difficulty of hyperspace remnant encounters as a campaign progresses, but that's something I'd rather hold off on until the next release of Starsector.

Hyperspace remnant fleets should never spawn surrounding you. They should always spawn ahead of you far enough away that it's impossible for you to detect them at first. Are you sure that wasn't the case? If so, it's a new bug.

Would you mind sharing a few more details to help me get an idea of exactly what happened?
  • What was the burn level of your fleet at the time?
  • Was sustained burn active when the encounter started?
  • Did you use emergency burn?
  • Did they hit you with an interdiction pulse, and if so, which of the above abilities were active at the time?

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »

6.4% chance ... apply a cap
Greater than 1/20 chance does feel pretty high to me... even if it's unlucky, it means 1 out of 20 people who install the mod will generate 4 fleets their very first encounter with hyperspace [redacted], unless they know to edit the spawn factor in the config file; I really like the idea of capping and/or ramping up the fleets kind of like ow bounties work. Generally, though, I still really like the mod. It is called Ruthless Sector, so this is kind of what I get for installing without reading everything it does and deciding whether I'm up for it or want to fiddle with settings first. I just ended up setting the extra fleet chance to 0 and starting a new game, and now it's perfect.

Hyperspace remnant fleets should never spawn surrounding you. They should always spawn ahead of you far enough away that it's impossible for you to detect them at first. Are you sure that wasn't the case? If so, it's a new bug.

Would you mind sharing a few more details to help me get an idea of exactly what happened?
  • What was the burn level of your fleet at the time?
  • Was sustained burn active when the encounter started?
  • Did you use emergency burn?
  • Did they hit you with an interdiction pulse, and if so, which of the above abilities were active at the time?

1. I was at 30 burn pinballing through a hyperspace cloud full of storms, and the second that I was flung out of the cloud, 4 fleets appeared immediately around me (all of us in non-cloud hyperspace, as I had just been flung out of the cloud) in kind of a three-quarters circle arc, where the opening was directly behind me. I paused the game the second I saw them, hit E-burn, and tried to make for a gap between them, but one of them hit me with an interdiction pulse while the others pursued. My fleet's base burn was only 9 at the time.
2. Yes, it was.
3. I did, and tried to get through a little hole between the fleets, but...
4. they interdicted me.

The way the fleets suddenly popped into existence around me makes me feel like maybe the game has a slight delay from the point when it says "the player fleet is coming, think about spawning some Remnant, and do all the RNG necessary to create them" and the point when those fleets actually appear on the screen?

Another alternative to mention is that my fleet was only 3 ships and had a small sensor range, so maybe I just couldn't see them until I was right on top of them? But I feel that doesn't quite make sense, because I was literally millimeters of screen space from one of them when it appeared, and some of the other 4 fleets were further away, but they all appeared perfectly simultaneously; there weren't multiple pings as I got closer to them. Maybe it's a combination of this and the above though? Probably a niche situation, but more likely to impact players running their intro fleet in the first ~30 minutes of gameplay.

Also, I run plenty of mods; Nex, Vayra's Sector, 10+ mods that add ships, one or two faction mods, three or four quality of life interface mods, etc., if that matters (the game is still buttery smooth with them installed though, and my PC could generate targeting solutions for a Paragon, so I don't think it's a performance issue).

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »

Thanks for all the details! It definitely sounds like you were put in an impossible situation. I'll see what I can do.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi first time user of the mod, starting a new game.  Rather obvious question:  I want to disable the reload adjustments/behavior...is this the correct configuration to disable the feature?

# RELOAD PENALTY #

"reloadPenaltyPerReload":0.0
"reloadPenaltyLimit":0.0,
"reloadPenaltyReductionPerResolvedBattle":0.0,
"reloadPenaltyReductionPerDay":0.0,

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yup! As long as "reloadPenaltyPerReload" is 0, you will never incur a penalty.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

mucho thanks!

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Ruthless.

I just collected my second D-mod frigate and a Phaeton in a new game, and as I return from an exploration run, I'm near to a home system.  Out spawns directly ahead of me, and heading directly at me, a Remnant fleet of two Ordos, 6 hybrid carrier cruisers, 10 frigates and 10+ squadrons.  I evade and jump in system...

...they jump in system after me.  They ignore all of the other faction fleets (which also ignore them), as well as the Starbase I'm docked at.  I attempt to leave the system and just end up running into a Cabal fleet emerging from the jump point.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Sorry about your misfortune! I've been a victim of the Cabal a time or two myself.

They ignore all of the other faction fleets (which also ignore them), as well as the Starbase I'm docked at
That's no good. There seem to be a few issues with remnant AI in situations they normally wouldn't get themselves into in vanilla. I caught them ignoring my fleet at one point. I think setting the flag to allow them to use jump points might've indirectly caused these problems, so I'll probably end up having to nix that, unfortunately.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Code-blind guessing here:  Yes, agreed that setting friend-foe state may be run only once:  when an ship is created in either hyperspace, or in-system...unless that ship is marked in code somehow as "jump-capable"...

Phoe

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sorry for the stupid question, but where is actually double supply cost? Cant find it in "RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini" and mod dont make supply cost more or less. Am i missing something?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Doubled supply cost isn't a mod I support anymore, I just forgot to remove it from the description. However, it's still available for download here (for the next two weeks at least). Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing that out!

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile

Suggestion / issue:

Please make an easier, optional config file that we can drop into place without needing to know the intricacies of the config files. I thought I was good at editing config files, but I've had a lot of difficulty wrapping my head around getting the commission to be higher. I started a game that I like, but I'm earning negative money and ran out of supplies, and I'm basically dead in the water. I tried increasing the commission but I find that the actual income that results at the end of the month doesn't seem to be affected (most of the time) by any changes that I've made. I'm not certain if I need to make a new game, surrender the commission and restart it, or if I'm editing the wrong area of the config. I've tried all of the above and the results are quite unpredictable.

I used the console commands mod to gift myself some money at first, then I just ended up disabling the mod to earn enough of a commission to survive! I love the idea of your mod, and I love a challenge (yes the base commission is way too high), but nerfing it by a factor of 10 is quite abrupt for newer players like myself. Thanks so much for your amazing mod!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hey, thanks for your feedback! You can change the stipend you get from commissions by editing "/data/config/settings.json" in the mod folder, rather than RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini, where you'll find most of the settings. I know that's obnoxious, but there's no good way around it. The commission settings aren't something added by ruthless sector, but a vanilla setting that it overrides. Honestly I'm not certain how quickly changes to those settings will take effect, but my best guess is immediately after the first reload of your game (plus a month or two to actually see the difference). Failing that, it will probably require a new game.

I hear you regarding the difficulty. This mod was originally intended and balanced for veteran players, so the idea of separate, toned-down version certainly has its merits. I'll have to give it some thought. What I would really like to do is provide the settings through a proper graphical interface. Hopefully the developer will provide more support for that kind of thing in the next update, but if not I might just take a look at creating a framework for it myself.

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile

Cool, thanks for the quick response :)

Now that I have a decent start in the game, I'm reactivating it. Theoretically, that's how I can manipulate the difficulty, by progressively enabling this mod earlier and earlier.

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

With the mod enabled, Remnant fleets are everywhere, and harass everything.
The Remnants in the core world are weak, but quite a pest to deal with. They attack everything, and chase you by all it got even though they wont even stand a chance to defeat you.
With hyperdrive mod enabled, they wont even leave you alone, jump spamming, and chase you like you are the one who kill their wifes.
Is there an option to disable rouge remnant fleet, or any config that stop small remnant fleet from chasing you?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:22:31 AM by yourleader »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16