Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colony economy  (Read 6535 times)

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
Colony economy
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »

What should I do with the excess metals etc stored in the surplus? If I take them it says something about money at the end of month,  I lose money? Should I take them and sell them?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony economy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »

If you did not put the metals into colony resources, then you will pay credits to take them, which is deferred to your monthly income.  If you are only taking metals that you stored there, it should be free.  Look at the left side of the screen to see how much you will pay.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »

I never stored any. they are in the stockpile screen along with bunch of other stuff like fuel and supplies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »

Nothing extra stored in colony resources (beyond what your colony produces)?  You will pay standard price (no tariffs) for commodities you draw out when you get income.  You will see how much it will cost at the left side of the screen.  You will not pay the amount seen immediately after the transaction, but it will reduce income received the next time you get paid.

I tend to leave commodities I do not use alone.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 06:30:46 PM »

seems like such a waste to have 17k metals stockpiled and many other stuff.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:32:29 AM »

Resources shown in "Resource Stockpiles" are not surplus. They're one part buffer for colony economy, one part player-only shop. Most of the time it's the cheapest to take stuff from there if you need it, because you're charged only the base commodity price and without tariff, but it's only the cheapest, not free. I suspect that you can earn some more money by taking resources from stockpiles and selling them wherever there's a shortage or procurement mission, but colonies are supposed to earn you money passively.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:35:55 AM »

Also, if your colony has shortages, it can draw from colony resources to temporarily offset the effects of a shortage (although that option is turned off by default).  Currently, a diligent player can defend colonies well enough to never get a shortage that matters.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »

any tips on making a good money making colony? I have 3 right now and I have one built up to 7 and put lots of facilities on it and it makes abuot 110k profit. The others make like 40k and 16k profit. Should I build up all? Or a particular way to maximise them? I couldn't find very good colonies close to the bubble with, so I settled a couple worlds with no bonuses but no hazards either.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »

Have you turned on free port? It attracts a small amount of attention, but boosts profits considerably.

By no bonuses, do you mean no 'rich' deposits, or no resources at all? That cuts into potential profits by a bunch, and you may end up with shortages for your manufacturing industries depending on hostility and size.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 03:19:11 AM »

any tips on making a good money making colony? I have 3 right now and I have one built up to 7 and put lots of facilities on it and it makes abuot 110k profit. The others make like 40k and 16k profit. Should I build up all? Or a particular way to maximise them? I couldn't find very good colonies close to the bubble with, so I settled a couple worlds with no bonuses but no hazards either.

1. Go further out. There are few good planets next to the habitable sector, but the finges have lots of worlds busting with resources.
2. Make sure stability and acessibility is high, as they directly influence your income.
3. Colony related skills (and alpha core governors, beta core enhanced buildings) make a massive difference in colony income
4. Nanoforge for heavy industry, sychrotron core

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 05:34:01 AM »

1. Go further out. There are few good planets next to the habitable sector, but the finges have lots of worlds busting with resources.
That varies by seed.  Some seeds have the best nearby.  Some of several great planets all over the places.  Some have no great planets anywhere and is a bad seed.  Some have the best far in the fringe (and is a pain to defend or travel to core).

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »

Pro-tip: The Hegemony & Tri-Tachyon colluded to plant warning beacons outside of many of the best systems to scare people away in a Scooby-Doo style real estate scam.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »

Pro-tip: The Hegemony & Tri-Tachyon colluded to plant warning beacons outside of many of the best systems to scare people away in a Scooby-Doo style real estate scam.

Can confirm, this is the only reason. Especially the red warning beacons, nothing but juicy perfect planets there.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 01:12:22 AM »

Is it just me, or are the Administrators a waste of time?

They don't appear to level up, and they rarely (if ever) have the only thing that utterly matters; Industrial Planning.  I really wish colony management didn't tap out so quickly as a game mechanic and the Administrators became more useful.  I've gotten 3 colonies started and I feel pretty sure I'm not going to get past 4 without having to subsidize them until they're Size 5+.  As it is, merely taking myself off of my one Size 5 and losing the Industrial Planning perk means I suddenly lose money.

I think that the game should have other ways to passively earn and use money, frankly; we should be able to invest in the other Factions' economies, earning passive income and a certain amount of political goodwill per month (like huge stockholders everywhere IRL).  It seems a bit odd to me that I have a fleet nothing can touch and millions of credits, and there's nothing left to buy, other than constantly pouring money into Growth Incentives.

Free Port's affects on Stability and Pather interest and Pirates in general are annoying.  I feel like when we have large, stable, prosperous colonies and we aren't at war, they ought to be "patrolling" a large area of space around them and collecting intel and they should largely stabilize an area.  As it is, I feel like I'm spending more time than I want preventing Pirate Raids on the other Factions to keep them stable and secure, largely on my own dime.  It's like being 'Murica, but without any of the benefits.

The Factions largely don't appear to respect my protective actions except under the most limited circumstances (like crash-diving into a system and demolishing a Pirate Raid).  But the Pirate attack algorithm is wonky; they target the Factions very unevenly.  So I've found it very difficult to get my Reputation up with the Sindrians, for example, and have to keep buying them off when they target my Colonies, which is annoying, considering that I could blow away their entire civilization without breaking a sweat. 

Lastly, I think it's totally silly that being non-neutral with the Pirates / Pathers counts as "hostile Factions" in terms of Stability.  They really shouldn't get handled like that at all.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »

Administrators are very useful for one purpose:  temporary pop-up (size-3) colonies, especially tech mines.  Administrators can govern the temporary pop-ups while I personally govern my big cash-cow colonies and storage.  Eventually, after I suck all of tech mines dry, I want to have as many size 10 planets I can get (without using cores).  I never got far enough to drain all of the sector's mines.  I want a big empire and lots of footholds everywhere.  One or two planets in a single backwater system is not enough.

I would like to colonize the entire sector, but that is only possible with lots of the alpha cores.  If I do not want to use cores, then seven or eight colonies are the most I can get.  Four for my character (or five with Planetary Operations 3 plus Industry), and three from administrators.

Administrators do not level up at all.  Yes, Industrial Planning is probably the best of the three, but the other two skills are better than nothing.  Two skill administrators are rare and should be hired if spotted.

Pather Interest is very annoying, and a clear "Guide Dang It" (trope).  I did not know how it worked until I read the wiki.  Thanks to the nanoforge bug, and current Industrial Planning 1, it is possible to completely avoid Pathers if player does not use items and does not build up too much at one planet.  If I played another game now, I would build my colonies in a way to prevent Pathers from bothering me (no cores, no synchrotron, but gleefully exploit nanoforge bug for pristine ships).  Next version, nanoforge will add 4 interest like synchrotron, which means player will attract pathers - lame.  Also, with new Industrial Planning change from less demand to less upkeep, player will need to use items to meet demand of some industries, which means pather interest (with any item) and/or inspections (with cores).

@ Xenoargh:  In addition to factions not respecting you, they also fail to defend their own colonies from Pirates and Pathers.  In one game, I completely ignored them (because my colony was far in the fringe), and one of the Independent planets (I think Asharu) decivilized.  Thus, I need to babysit not only my colonies, but also core worlds if I want maximum income.  That was what I meant that my character is a space cop, or space Batman.  Take time off from fun stuff just to deal with pirates and pathers to defend my colonies is already annoying enough, and taking more time off to defend the cowardly and corrupt core worlds because they do nothing but send thugs at your colonies is even more annoying.  Next release, defending colonies from expeditions will cost reputation, so I need to take more time off to restore reputation and protect accessibility.

Lastly, I think it's totally silly that being non-neutral with the Pirates / Pathers counts as "hostile Factions" in terms of Stability.  They really shouldn't get handled like that at all.
Totally agree.  Either fully support relations with default hostile factions (so that they do not do weird stuff due to assumed hostile relations) or just remove reputation meters and messages and lock them into permanent hostility.

By the way, do Remnants even count toward to accessibility?
Pages: [1] 2