Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [0.97a] Fuel Siphoning v1.4.0 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae  (Read 177492 times)

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Fuel Siphoning v1.2.0 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »

Hi, first I want to say thank you for this mod. It really helps extend my exploration trips especially combined with supply forging.
Just wondering if you can add an config option to get it to run even when not in a nebula though very inefficiently (say you catch interstellar gas). That’s just so if I’m only a little short of fuel but there’s no nebula in system and I don’t want to jump into another, I can just sacrifice more supplies to get the little bit needed.

Also, I don’t know if this is possible but is it easy to multiply the speed of conversion based on the number of ships in the fleet and their class? Like frigates + 2.5 destroyers + 4 cruisers + 10 capitals? That would help with scaling the speed for beginning and end game fleets.

Cheers  ;D

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2021, 09:25:56 PM »

Hey, thanks for the kind words! Supply to fuel conversion rate scales linearly with the fleet's total fuel capacity rather than ship classes, and I don't see any reason to change that. Pretty sure it would be very easy to add a setting to allow siphoning without nebulae. Next time I'm digging in the code I'll take a look to see if that's the case and add that setting if so.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2021, 09:59:50 PM »

Hey, thanks for the kind words! Supply to fuel conversion rate scales linearly with the fleet's total fuel capacity rather than ship classes, and I don't see any reason to change that. Pretty sure it would be very easy to add a setting to allow siphoning without nebulae. Next time I'm digging in the code I'll take a look to see if that's the case and add that setting if so.

If you are going for realism (which may not matter, this game is generally pretty abstracted), you could always set it to allow fuel conversion waaay way out at the edge of systems, essentially past the edge of the heliosphere/heliopause in interstellar space.  How you would mark this on any arbitrary systems map... I couldn't say.  But basically would balanced by the fact that player would have to waste supplies burning out the edge of a system just to refuel.  It also doesn't really make any sense, since by that same logic a fleet could just refuel by getting really close to a sun instead, but up to you (since refueling close to sun would be a bad idea unless player has solar shielding hull mod).
I wasn't always a Judge...

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »

You deserve it man.
Ah that would explain why the refuelling feels a little slow to me. I take a lot less tankers than normal expecting to use fuel siphoning, only to shoot myself in the foot  :P
Thank you for looking at that. It’s always annoying being a little short.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:06:46 PM by BaBosa »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »

If you are going for realism (which may not matter, this game is generally pretty abstracted), you could always set it to allow fuel conversion waaay way out at the edge of systems, essentially past the edge of the heliosphere/heliopause in interstellar space.  How you would mark this on any arbitrary systems map... I couldn't say.  But basically would balanced by the fact that player would have to waste supplies burning out the edge of a system just to refuel.  It also doesn't really make any sense, since by that same logic a fleet could just refuel by getting really close to a sun instead, but up to you (since refueling close to sun would be a bad idea unless player has solar shielding hull mod).

After finally bothering  to read this mod's change logs, I see that refueling at (red) stars was originally an option that was later dropped.  So never mind that, I guess.  Although I guess this does beg the following question:  Why is this not coded as unique hull mod that only goes onto fuel tanker ships?  Just curious, since mod seems to just add an ability, but I haven't really used it; so maybe I'm wrong...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:58 AM »

I had an idea for a mining mod that works the same as fuel siphoning but in that you travel through a dust cloud of an system ring and collect ore/minerals while doing so. It can be costly and inefficient but still a new way in which the player can mine. 

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Fuel Siphoning v1.1.2 - Now more useful!
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2023, 05:29:09 PM »

Fuel Siphoning 1.2.1

* Integrated with LunaLib to add a settings menu
   * If LunaLib is used then the old settings file will be overridden, otherwise it will work as before
   * You can get LunaLib at https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25658.0
* Fixed the effect of "fuelPriceMult" setting applying more than once on subsequent reloads

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2023, 12:51:21 PM »

Fuel Siphoning 1.2.2
Compatible with previous versions

Fixed compatible game version being out of date
Updated LunaSettings integration to be fully compatible with LunaLib version 1.3.X

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2023, 08:49:18 PM »

Fuel Siphoning 1.3.0

Please note that this version has not yet been thoroughly tested with Starsector 0.96a

- Updated for Starsector 0.96a
- Updated LunaLib support to take advantage of new features

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Fuel Siphoning v1.3.0 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2023, 06:54:23 AM »

Is there an option to make this work without nebula? I’d like the option so I can get to a nebula system or go straight get back without shuttling ships even if it costs more supplies. Like 1 fuel per supply?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2023, 07:29:15 AM »

So an option to make the ability work anywhere, such as hyperspace and empty space? There isn't an option for that, currently. It is possible to siphon fuel at the dust/nebula clouds you can find in many non-nebula systems, if that helps. I'm not sure I understand why you want the option. Would you mind explaining the problem in more detail? Why would you need to shuttle ships?

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2023, 07:43:50 PM »

When I tried out this mod it didn't work. While the ability animation and sound effects played, and I was in a full density nebula, no supplies were converted to fuel despite waiting for multiple days.

This is my modlist (v0.96a):
Audio Plus
Better Colonies
Combat Chatter
Detailed Combat Results
Fuel Siphoning
GraphicsLib
Hostile Intercept
Interesting Portraits Pack
LazyLib
LunaLib
MagicLib
Nexerelin
Officer Extension
Realistic Combat
Ruthless Sector
Starpocalypse
Starship Legends
Stellar Networks
Unknown Skies

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2023, 10:28:01 PM »

Thanks once again for the report! It sounds like maybe your fleet wasn't moving while you were using the ability? The rate at which supplies are converted to fuel is based on how quickly your fleet is moving through the nebula cloud. If you're not moving at all I'm pretty sure it would be just like what you described. That's probably a common point of confusion, now that I think of it. I'll try to do something about that, regardless of whether or not that's what's going on for you.

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2023, 11:14:18 PM »

Thanks once again for the report! It sounds like maybe your fleet wasn't moving while you were using the ability? The rate at which supplies are converted to fuel is based on how quickly your fleet is moving through the nebula cloud. If you're not moving at all I'm pretty sure it would be just like what you described. That's probably a common point of confusion, now that I think of it. I'll try to do something about that, regardless of whether or not that's what's going on for you.

Huh, turns out that was the case. Apologies for the confusion, though I agree something should be added to the ability description to emphasize movement is necessary.

Tase

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2023, 09:44:50 PM »

Huh, turns out that was the case. Apologies for the confusion, though I agree something should be added to the ability description to emphasize movement is necessary.

I can here looking for answers since it wasn't working. Same reason, was stationary. +1 to changing description to mention movement.

On the topic of movement, is it possible to have a setting to lower the speed of conversion? So it takes more/less movement to siphon? I would like it so I can have it take longer to fuel up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6