Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [0.97a] Fuel Siphoning v1.4.0 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae  (Read 177517 times)

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Fuel Siphoning v1.1.3 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »

Great mod, love it. Any chance that an option could be added to require a Syncrotron Core in cargo to convert at full efficiency (or alternatively give a bonus to efficiency) similarly to the Supply Forging mod?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 04:02:54 PM »

Yeah, there's a chance, but I'll have to think on it. I really like what Techpriest did with nanoforges and supply forging, but I think it might not work out as well in this case because the conversion ratio for fuel siphoning is more sensitive (since both resources involved are vital). A moderate bonus might work. I'm not too keen on encouraging players to clutter their inventories for the sake of a bonus, either. To be fair it's not a lot of clutter and it's fairly unavoidable, but it does seem a bit sloppy. I think I might hold off until the next release of Starsector to decide whether or not to add a feature like that, since I suspect things might change about how items like nanoforges and synchrotron cores work.

J.BEAR

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »

hi Sundog

love this small utility mod
i have a request... could you put an entry in OPTIONS.ini that allow me to use Heavy Machinery instead of Supplies to siphon fuel?
i imagine that you'd jury rig some heavy machinery to be dragged outside of your ship for this task, it gets damaged and needs replacement after a while from all the particle and micro asteroid bombardment.

(also im almost stranded on the edge of the map running low on supplies... i'd rather take apart the heavy machinery lying around for spare parts)

thanks dawg

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »

Hey, glad you like the mod, and welcome to the forum! I'll take a look to see how complicated it would be to make the consumed resource configurable. I don't foresee any issues, but you never know, so no promises!

J.BEAR

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »

I'll take a look to see how complicated it would be to make the consumed resource configurable.

or just an alternative version download so you don't have to make it configurable, whichever is simplest
thanks man ;D

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »

Excellent mod, Sundog. I was skeptical when you first implemented it to work off of stars, because I didn't really dig the idea of equipping my whole fleet with Solar Shielding, but now I really, really enjoy the idea of having nebulae clouds being actually useful and not just "space mud". Tons of hydrogen and other frozen gases being left to waste, until now ;)

I was wondering if you would be willing to implement a conversion bonus for having a Synchrotron Core in your inventory (as in +50% or 100% more fuel per supply), similar to how Techpriest put in a bonus for having a corrupted or pristine nanoforge in Supply Forging. I just always find myself having more nanoforges and synchrotron cores than I need for my colonies, and if it works on a planet, why not on a space ship? If that's too cheaty or easy, you could try making a hullmod requirement for the bonus, by having a Phaeton, Prometheus, or any other tanker the size of a destroyer or bigger "house" the core in its hull, in exchange for more maintenance, larger crew requirement, or smaller fuel storage. That'll require mod detection and many more functions written though, so it's kind of a big hurdle.

These are all just suggestions of course, I'm not expecting anything. I would try writing something like this, but god do I hate Java, I can't even follow the modding tutorials posted on this forum on how to set up the JDK and library tailored for Starsector. I'm probably just dumb.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 01:47:51 AM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! And, yeah, I've been very happy with the switch from red giants to nebulae.

Someone else requested Synchrotron Core interaction at one point. In fact, let me quote my response to them:
Yeah, there's a chance, but I'll have to think on it. I really like what Techpriest did with nanoforges and supply forging, but I think it might not work out as well in this case because the conversion ratio for fuel siphoning is more sensitive (since both resources involved are vital). A moderate bonus might work. I'm not too keen on encouraging players to clutter their inventories for the sake of a bonus, either. To be fair it's not a lot of clutter and it's fairly unavoidable, but it does seem a bit sloppy. I think I might hold off until the next release of Starsector to decide whether or not to add a feature like that, since I suspect things might change about how items like nanoforges and synchrotron cores work.
So it's not out of the question, but it's likely not something I'll add until later, if I decide to at all. You're absolutely right about the overabundance of nanoforges and synchrotron cores though. Hopefully that will improve with the next release of Starsector.

I would try writing something like this, but god do I hate Java, I can't even follow the modding tutorials posted on this forum on how to set up the JDK and library tailored for Starsector. I'm probably just dumb.
Eh, I've been doing stuff like this for over 15 years and I still sometimes struggle to set up build environments and wrap my head around bugs. Having an affinity for programming helps a lot, but I really think it's more about stubbornness and persistence (not to mention sufficient spare time).

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »

Someone else requested Synchrotron Core interaction at one point.
Yeah, I just saw that post as I was scrolling down. Feel like a clown right now for not reading through the thread entirely, but I'm glad someone had the same idea.
Eh, I've been doing stuff like this for over 15 years and I still sometimes struggle to set up build environments and wrap my head around bugs. Having an affinity for programming helps a lot, but I really think it's more about stubbornness and persistence (not to mention sufficient spare time).
Perhaps I will try getting back into it when I have spare time. I've got multiple things to finish, and it has been like that for months.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »

Yeah, I just saw that post as I was scrolling down. Feel like a clown right now for not reading through the thread entirely, but I'm glad someone had the same idea.
Heh, no worries. Repeated requests are one of the best ways I can gauge demand, and I sure as hell don't expect anyone to read an entire mod thread before making a suggestion.

Perhaps I will try getting back into it when I have spare time. I've got multiple things to finish, and it has been like that for months.
Yeah, I hear ya. There's only so much we can do.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Fuel Siphoning v1.1.2 - Now more useful!
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »

Fuel Siphoning 1.1.4

Fixed a problem that will cause Version Checker support to break on 1 June 2020
Fixed mod description still referring to "red giant stars" as the source of fuel rather than nebulae

saya39

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Fuel Siphoning v1.1.4 - Convert supplies to fuel at nebulae
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »

Hey, I realy like this mod you made. It's very cool and useful. May I translate it into Chinese and post it on The fossic which is a Chinese starsector forum?

And here is the address: https://www.fossic.org/

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

Please do! And thank you  :)

saya39

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »

Thanks for the permission! Glad to translate a fantastic mod like this:)
When I finish I'll put the adress here too.

Edit: And here we are https://www.fossic.org/thread-1653-1-1.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:38:46 PM by saya39 »

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »

May I suggest that the mod instead siphons volatiles from nebulae and then a separate command to process volatiles to fuel, which would then be more efficient and effective with synchrotrons?

After all, canonically speaking, the raw material mined from gas giants is the Volatiles item, which has to be processed at a refinery. It may not be possible to directly use siphoned material from nebulae as fuel.

Additionally, being able to process from volatiles can synergize with Nexerelin, as that mod allows the player to mine gas giants for that resource, and this could also be an extension of that.

Lastly, it may make sense for siphoning to cause a further reduction in burn level, or require sneaking (burn level 2) to avoid accident as a balance to obtaining resources.

Heavy machinery could make more sense for consumption, as siphoning fuel has no explanation for consuming supplies that heavy machinery cannot replace. Accidents for burning full-speed through a nebula while siphoning can otherwise cause CR reductions and damage, which should serve as a drawback to the player and bring this in line with Nexerelin's mining feature.

Also, it may be prudent to disable fuel siphoning activation during emergency burns.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, it seems like you want this mod to be something completely different from what I want it to be. I do plan to make it more configurable in the future, but not to the extent required to make it work the way you want. If you're interested, you're welcome to use the source and assets of this mod to make your own.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6