Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Autosolve Battle?  (Read 2594 times)

Shadefell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Autosolve Battle?
« on: March 23, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »

Hello, I love the game.

However I suck at combat. The battle seems to go on and on...and if I try to escape my fleet is too large; so I am dragged in again... and battles take a long time... Is there a autosolve battle option?

I seem to be missing something here since I did not find anything on forum.

Have I lost my marbles?

Thx in advance!

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Autosolve Battle?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:34:42 PM »

You can autoresolve battles by selecting "let your second-in-command take care of it", but only in pursuits as the aggressor (which isn't really what you're looking for, as that's one specific form of combat that, especially if you're not able to compete in the combat arena and thus build up your wealth and threat level very well in the first place, you won't be initiating very much).

Unfortunately... I mean, right now the game is kind of feature-complete on the combat side, and you just joined (presuming you're new-ish) when the campaign/strategic level started to get fleshed out. For the most part, it's not really wrong to say the campaign acts as a setpiece to get you from battle to battle, at least as of the current build.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:36:15 PM by angrytigerp »

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forums!

I'd say: Learn to fly  ;D .. no really just keep trying. Play some missions, try out load outs in the simulator refit screen, and if you cant escape use a smaller fleet, faster ships and fight pirates. They are pretty
easy with those D-Mods, so you learn how to handle your ship and your fleet properly.

Also don't forget that weapons have pro and cons you need to learn and think off.
very soon you will have no problem in playing yourself.

We had someone one which had/still have this problem but we tried to help him:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15155.0
Maybe this can help you, too

Have fun.

Chronosfear
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Shadefell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 04:47:57 AM »

Hi! Thank you both for a hearthy welcome. I apologize for my somewhat tardy reply; I have spent past week a fair deal of time to indeed fight those battles and flying my ship(s). I am slowly getting a grip at handling the controls - and having great fun getting there. I am playing with a couple of mods installed at the moment but the vanilla version is already a very, very nice game. Beautiful actually. And alive...

Thx again for your advise!

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 05:05:49 AM »

Important to note: You have two types of controls available.

The first one is tank controls, pretty straight forward.

The second one is the arcade controls, you control where the ship is pointing with your mouse, and AD are now used to strafe.

Those two behaviours can be inverted with shift by default, hold to toggle.

You can change the default behaviour in the settings. I personally find arcade controls to be much, much better. I wouldn't have bought the game if I didn't know those were available.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »

Before 0.6, it was possible to auto-resolve any fight.  With the proper fleet, it was possible to auto-resolve and win every fight.  During 0.5.4, with character skills, auto-resolving everything was the only way to reach 10-10-10 in three trees quickly enough.

Auto-resolving fights is tricky since player can use junky ships that have no business fighting in a real battle, and win.  With currently pursuit auto-resolve, I deploy armed civilians and badly armed recovered clunkers and wipe out most of what is left of the enemy.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:31:53 AM »

Before 0.6, it was possible to auto-resolve any fight.  With the proper fleet, it was possible to auto-resolve and win every fight.  During 0.5.4, with character skills, auto-resolving everything was the only way to reach 10-10-10 in three trees quickly enough.

Auto-resolving fights is tricky since player can use junky ships that have no business fighting in a real battle, and win.  With currently pursuit auto-resolve, I deploy armed civilians and badly armed recovered clunkers and wipe out most of what is left of the enemy.

Don't forget you could deploy ships that literally couldn't catch the fleeing ships in battle if they TRIED, and autoresolve lets them have kills.

Alex mentioned fixing that in the patch notes though iirc

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »

Don't forget you could deploy ships that literally couldn't catch the fleeing ships in battle if they TRIED, and autoresolve lets them have kills.
True only if your fastest burn ship is fast enough.  This is the main reason why I bring a Tempest with my endgame fleet, to enable auto-resolve and let my ill-equipped slowpokes that cannot fight a real battle auto-resolve things.  Not only save CR on my main fighting ships, but also get the game going after a few seconds.