Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Faction warfare?  (Read 2769 times)

Wolfenix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Faction warfare?
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »

I apologize if this has been asked before (I looked for 20 minutes and haven't found an answer), but is there currently a method for player owned faction wide warfare?  I haven't seen any of my fleets outside of my own system, despite having all max industries/structures.  Am I missing something or is this part still in dev?

By the way, Alex, I've been playing this game off and on for over 7 years now.  It's slow going, but damn impressive!  Hard to believe this thing used to basically be a space combat simulator.  Well done, sir!

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Faction warfare?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:59:52 PM »

Not without mods, but you can (using Nexerelin) get access to an additional dialogue option on things allowing you to spawn an invasion fleet, for example, at a specific cost based on size, etc.

However, no, in vanilla, your faction lacks any motivation to engage in warfare of its own volition. All it will do is protect your colonies, if present, and sometimes send trade fleets around the sector.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »

Not at this point, yeah. The exact scope of that is still TBD - likely more than zero (that "command" tab is a placeholder for something...), but definitely less than full-on 4X style wars.

By the way, Alex, I've been playing this game off and on for over 7 years now.  It's slow going, but damn impressive!  Hard to believe this thing used to basically be a space combat simulator.  Well done, sir!

Thank you, happy you've enjoyed it along the way! (At least, I'm assuming, ahem.) And welcome to the forum :)

Fullbright

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 05:24:05 AM »

Not without mods, but you can (using home teeth whitening kits) get access to an additional dialogue option on things allowing you to spawn an invasion fleet, for example, at a specific cost based on size, etc.

However, no, in vanilla, your faction lacks any motivation to engage in warfare of its own volition. All it will do is protect your colonies, if present, and sometimes send trade fleets around the sector.

Faction warfare would be epic, especially if it's big scale battles. I'd love it if something like that was made possible in the future.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 11:36:56 AM by Fullbright »

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »

Faction warfare would be epic, especially if it's big scale battles. I'd love it if something like that was made possible in the future.

When you build 3 Colonies in the Duzhak System and pump their industries up, you can get so many incoming "Very Strong" expeditionary fleets, AI Inspections and Pirate raids, that it actually feels like faction warfare. Especially, when the AI inspection is also hostile to the expeditionary fleets and prirates are still around. You will often feel helpless, when 5 or more fleets of maximum size approach your little fleet. Sadly the reputation loss ruins the fun of participating alot! The planned changes on 9.1a will probably be not much better. My opinion is, that expeditionary fleets should not change rep, so that the fun of leaving or atacking them stays. Otherwise the constant attempts of regaining of rep could become quite annoying during late endgame. Especially because AI Cores drop currently by far not plentiful enough to keep rep up and have some for colonies left.

Punitive expeditions:
    Will result in a 5-point reputation penalty when/if the expedition fails
         No reputation penalty for fighting the expedition's fleets
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:09:10 AM by Kohlenstoff »