Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector purchase and product  (Read 5222 times)

RainbowGandalf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector purchase and product
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »

Hello guys,
Im very interested in buying this game, but I have several questions.
1) Can one person own it on multiple platforms while purchasing it only once?
2) What happens if I change my PC? (same OS) Does that mean I have a activation code that can only work one at a time?
3) Is PayPal available or I have to use the BMT thingy?
Thanks in advance!

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector purchase and product
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »

You buy an activation key that you can use on any number of computers you want, it's the only form of DRM. Changing your whole computer including your mobo won't consume any "activation" because there aren't any, it's unlimited.

I cannot answer for Paypal but I don't see why it wouldn't be available. Just try it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:46:19 AM by Euphytose »

RainbowGandalf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »

wouldn't this allow multiple people "owning" the game with a single common key?

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »

Technically, yes. There's nothing stopping you from just giving a bunch of friends your key.

It's sort of on the honor system, but I prefer that over draconian measures that involve all kinds of sketchy DRM programs running in the background or something.

It's not really a secret, it's just part of having this sort of validation method. Just know it'd be a *** Move, and Super Uncool.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »

Some well known "common" keys have been revoked over time with the next patch, so don't overdo it.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »

Some well known "common" keys have been revoked over time with the next patch, so don't overdo it.

He probably meant sharing it with friends like in the good old days. I think it's ok to try it, but if you like it, buy it. It's worth every penny, not even including mods which add a LOT of cool stuff.

RainbowGandalf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »

annnnd bought! What do you recommend for the best experience? Mod-free? Or which mods should be installed together etc etc?

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »

Your very first playthrough should be vanilla.

Play on normal, if you find it impossible to progress, play on easy.

Do the tutorial, read carefully.

If you prefer tank controls, leave the settings on default. If you prefer arcade controls with the ship pointing its nose towards the mouse cursor, there's an option for that in the settings. Either way, "shift" changes the behaviour from one to the other, although it's hold-to-activate, not a toggle.

The "autofit" button in the refit screen is your friend. These loadouts usually work pretty well and provide a good balance.

Low tech = Bulky, lots of armour, uses ballistic weapons.
Midline = Uses both ballistic and energy, decent shield and armour, basically the most well rounded ships.
High tech = Uses mostly energy weapons, usually pretty low armour, but very good shields.

A good ship for a new player is either Eagle or Enforcer. Then you can upgrade depending on your tastes. Don't forget to give orders to your AI ships, they can make a big difference.

You can pause at any time, even during combat, using space. So take your time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:40:29 PM by Euphytose »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »

My advice: start un-modded, get used to the game there - there are a lot of good mods, but by their nature they all make the game more complex, and it's hard enough to get started without that.

Also, I'd advise playing through the combat tutorials, playing around with missions (and especially the simulator, which you can access from the ship refit screen for any of the missions), and only once you've got a handle on combat should you start up a campaign.  On easy.  Using one of the accelerated start options; I prefer to take the Apogee, myself, though the Hammerhead start will give you a premium combat destroyer with useful hull mods you won't be able to install yourself until much later in the game.  And don't skip the in-game tutorial, especially if you do take the Apogee start!

See also this post:
Hmm - you know, what I think might not be a bad idea is loading up the "Combat (basic)" tutorial, getting to the part where it asks you to strafe around the enemy Enforcer, and then just spending a bit of time to see if you can't get comfortable with that, without the pressure of firing or being concerned about other enemies.

See if you can circle all the way around it while staying in weapons range, then see if you can manage to stay closer/further, then try putting some shots on it while you circle it, and so on. Just being comfortable with this sort of maneuvering is super important to doing well in combat with most ships.

One tricky part is getting the hang of what strafe left/right mean when you're facing down (still left/right, but it's relative to the ship); getting comfortable with that is also fairly important, but not *super* critical as you start most fights facing up.

Also: in data/config/settings.json, there's a "combatSpeedMult" setting. Setting it to something lower than 1 might be something to try to see if a slower pace feels more manageable.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.