Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Improving the Shrike  (Read 27154 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the Shrike
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »

I mean human pilot is the key there...  you might be right, but human vs AI is not the best comparison. It sounds like the ship is roughly the right place though, a human piloted ship should be able to beat a ship of the next class with significant effort and a ship of the same class without too much difficulty.

I think we agree about damage types, the argument I've been trying to make the whole time is that ships with energy weapons need more dissipation to be balanced against ships with ballistics, and that seems to be what you concluded in the end as well. I just added on that medium energy weapons are particularly inefficient so they generally need a little more dissipation as compared to large mounts.
So long as you're classifying that "Light cruiser" is one step down from Cruiser.

I always proposed 500 dissipation on the light cruiser shrike. Previously the argument was over whether that was enough. It was proposed 500 and a large energy turret or 600 and two mediums. I thought that both of those were overkill. That the ship would be far too good like that.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »

Normal Shrike is already badly OP starved even with Loadout Design 3.  -5 OP (or maybe more with the LD3 perk) on pirate Shrike may hurt even more, despite having one superior small mount.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »

I don't mind those 5 OPs, since the superior hybrid mount is definitely worth it on the Shrike.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »

Yeah, a small ballistic mounting a railgun is a huge amount of anti-shield power for an energy based ship.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »

Not sure it would be all that useful.
A Railgun effectively costing 12 OP is kind of decent deal for Shrike, but these OP might be better spent on SO/UI/Aux thrusters (stuff that makes it easier to reach enemy's rear, since that's the only real battle plan for Shrike).
Than again, overloading the enemy is one of ways to get to their rear and Railgun + Sabots is better than Sabots alone.

Even Medusa often needs to be sneakier than face-to-face fight, and it's far superior to Shrike in flux/shield/weapons/ship system departments.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:07:46 AM by TaLaR »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »

In terms of breaking through shields - the part that the Shrike has the biggest problem with - its like having a pulse laser that costs half flux and has longer range. Very very good.

If going SO, instead of a railgun use a dlmg or lmg - that recoups some of the OP while also being practically flux free to fire.

Small ballistics are so much better than small energy its not even funny. Probably the only way in which they are better is for cruiser or capitals making point defense nets out of many of them - the large ITU boost is required for it to be truly effective.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »

Small ballistics are so much better than small energy its not even funny. Probably the only way in which they are better is for cruiser or capitals making point defense nets out of many of them - the large ITU boost is required for it to be truly effective.
True for most ships, but for phase frigates it's AM Blasters all the way.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »

True for most ships, but for phase frigates it's AM Blasters all the way.

I agree completely! And in theory a few ion cannons in support of ballistics is quite good too, as long as the ship already has enough damage.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »

I agree completely! And in theory a few ion cannons in support of ballistics is quite good too, as long as the ship already has enough damage.
Yeah, ion cannon is cheap sustained semi-counter to shield-flicker.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:17 PM »

Ha. The pirate shrike is closer to my original suggestion, though Alex double-downed on the "OP-starved" complaint. :D

Not the outcome I expected but different, to say the least. I still think a TT variant with a hybrid or universal up front would fix quite a bit (no OP hit).

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »

The Shrike has good flux dissipation for its DP.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]