Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Can we get a way to load an external AI script for a ship?  (Read 994 times)

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile
Can we get a way to load an external AI script for a ship?
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »

Some player mods (most noteably Kadur and Arkgenesis) are designed around a certain playstyle that the default AI doesn't really support, and it would be good to be able to load custom AI for that kind of thing.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get a way to load an external AI script for a ship?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »

Custom AI is already doable.  The problem is that good AI is really hard to make; the quality of Starsector's base AI is one of the things that's impressive about the game, and replicating that level of capability in a mod is... prohibitively difficult.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get a way to load an external AI script for a ship?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:01:48 PM »

Nah, it's just prohibitively time-consuming, lol, and I got tired of having to retread it every time the meta changed again.

Anyhow, the only public, extant, working semi-all-right generic SS AI replacer is mine.  The available version's way out of date; I have a multi-threaded build sitting on my HD awaiting for 0.9's dust to settle.

Feel free to look at it, the source ships with the mod.  I don't know what playstyle you're hoping to emulate, but, in theory, the current AI framework should be tweakable to do what you want with fairly minimal pain.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack