Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Display Fighter Weapon Stats  (Read 1394 times)

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Display Fighter Weapon Stats
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »

So, for the second round of the Starsector AI Tournament, I found myself attempting to compare the effectiveness of various fighter wings, especially among mods I hadn't used before. One hurdle was that I didn't recognize the weapons that the fighters used, so I often tried to make guesses for damage types based on the description. However, even if I knew all the weapons off-hand, I think it would be convenient for comparisons to display the weapon stats, especially since some fighters use fighter-specific versions of weapons which do not have in-game-visible stats.

Since fighters typically ignore flux costs and tend to have consistent behaviors (launching bombs at long range, or closing in and circling the opponent), I imagine the main stats are the following:
  • Damage Type
  • Damage
  • Damage/Second
  • Refire Delay / Limited Ammo

The only fighter where range might be important would be the Xyphos, I think, so it seems like it can be ignored most of the time.

As for rendering these in the UI, I'm not sure what would be the best way. Most likely would be the ability to press F1 while hovering to show expanded weapon stat blocks, instead of the weapon list. However, it could be nice if there was a way to click the weapon and go to a codex entry. Not likely to be relevant right now, but possibly some time in the future.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Display Fighter Weapon Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »

+1 I would like this as well. It would be much nicer to be able to see what a fighter is capable of weapons wise rather than needing to find and look into a weapon to do so instead like Talon's vulcan gun or even not knowing a specific thing related to the fighter itself, such as a Talon's swarmers, which regen 1 every 10 secs. I believe, unlike regular swarmers which do not regen.

This is especially nice for mod fighters as well as many of them have unique weapons with specialized stats/effects that cannot be found in-game and instead requires one to trawl through files in order to figure out what they do or what they're good at.

Fighter descriptions are generally nice, but sometimes after many overhauls they can be inaccurate, or their intended use misleading to what they're actually really good at due to weapon properties.