Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351528 times)

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #885 on: January 13, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

4. Add a way to toggle "White-out" lens flare explosions (hurts my eyes)

In data/config/settings.json:
"enableShipExplosionWhiteout":true, -> change to false

Thank you. The strobe effect when wiping out larger fleets was really starting to hurt my eyes.

FabianClasen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #886 on: January 28, 2020, 07:28:10 AM »

I just spent a few days playing this wonderful game again and wanted to give my few cents about the latest changes.
As a long time player since 2014, the way this game progresses feels fantastic. Most of the changes are very welcome and it approaches a finished flair.
While few years back i felt it was necessary to play with mods, because a lot of core features were still under development, i usually find myself just playing the base game nowadays, because it is fun on its own.
Things i have issues with are few, but one example though is the fleet headquarters taking up an industry slot. I feel like this unnecessarily takes from the fun factor of the late game, one of wich was seeing your own empires fleets all over the place. I understand you did this to kind of limit the late game impact of colonies, but i don't think most of the time the fleet headquarters benefits warrant the use of an industry slot, so the change just keeps the players from having these fine large faction fleets flying around.
So my suggestion at this point is to either remove the need for an industry slot (maybe offset by higher sustained cost), or making the headquarter more beneficial by allowing it to spawn expeditions. Maybe having the option to plan and spawn your own Faction-style expeditionary fleets, to attack known pirate/pather bases, or to impair another factions market share of some goods could be a fun addition. That also coincides with the headquarters description of projecting power throughout the sector.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:30:18 AM by FabianClasen »
--------------------------------
Not a native English speaker.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 30, 2020, 06:18:15 AM »

Things i have issues with are few, but one example though is the fleet headquarters taking up an industry slot.
Is this Military Base/High Command?  I dislike it taking an industry slot because all colonies need it for proper colony or system defense (except maybe a system with more than three colonies).  Without bases, player needs to babysit colonies to kill the constant stream of invading fleets.  Patrol HQ is only good for reclaiming stolen relays while player is away from the system.

Meanwhile, core worlds, while they do not need to deal with oversized expeditions, they do need to deal with pirate raids, and they usually fail at stopping them from wrecking their colonies.

FabianClasen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 01, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »

Is this Military Base/High Command?

Yes those :)
--------------------------------
Not a native English speaker.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 30, 2020, 06:32:27 AM »

While removing the industry tag from the military base would make things much easier, it would also turn it into a "build this by default" item and remove the need for the player to make any kind of compromise in order to have that kind of defensive power.

Making it a structure would greatly help players who prefer to build colonies scattered over multiple systems. But the flipside is, by doing this players who like to concentrate in a single system can trivially neuter any kind of incursion by "stacking" bases. Which is probably not an intended outcome.

One potential way of mitigating this problem is imposing limits on the number of military installations it is possible for the player to construct.
For example:
  • Patrol Base - No Limit.
  • Military Base - Limit 1 per system.
  • Central Command - Limit 1 per faction, allows the construction of an additional Military Base in the same system.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 30, 2020, 08:07:23 AM »

I'm of the opinion that both the Military Base and High Command are placeholders and once their full functionality comes into being, their Industry status will be justified. As it is, their only purpose right now is to increase the size of defense fleets and that, by itself, doesn't justify an Industry slot. However, I'm operating under the assumption that Military Bases/High Commands will unlock the "Orders" tab in the Colony menu, which will itself be something worth having and an opportunity cost for a colony.

Assuming I'm right, that still doesn't clear up the need for about every colony to have large defense fleets and if they're still tied to upgrading the Patrol HQ, we're in the same boat as before.

My idea would be that Military Bases (and to a greater extent, High Commands) have a global colony bonus much akin to Nanoforges. If one of your colonies have a Military Base/High Command, all colonies benefit from a +max fleet size bonus (perhaps a % of the max value based on distance from the Base). Military Bases would have smaller bonuses and smaller effective distance meanwhile High Commands would have larger bonuses and larger scope of influence (perhaps only 1 High Command is allowed?)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 30, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »

While removing the industry tag from the military base would make things much easier, it would also turn it into a "build this by default" item and remove the need for the player to make any kind of compromise in order to have that kind of defensive power.
Right now, player builds it by default anyway because it is the only way to have a proper defense fleet that can intercept enemy fleets without forcing the player to stay home and babysit his colonies.  This is why I call military base an industry slot tax.  One of the industry slots is always taken by military base just to have basic defenses against invaders.  That is awful.

Similarly, because many core worlds do not have bases, they are easily wrecked by pirate raids and will decivilize eventually if the game lasts long enough.  Thus, if player wants to save core worlds, he babysits them too by playing whack-a-mole!

I suppose Military Base is not necessary if player destroys the core worlds to remove the source of expeditions (and eliminates need to babysit core systems), and befriends pirates to stop raids, but that is endgame.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 06, 2020, 12:53:35 AM »

I'm surprised so many people have trouble without using a military base/HQ to defend with.  Very rarely have I had to race in and save a colony from a potential raid, as most of the time once I've got planetary shields it's pretty much fine, especially when a pristine nanoforge is boosting my ships.

But I'd like to see Military bases and such patrol a wider area, preventing raids that pass by them on the way to attack.  This way you can put military bases in strategic locations that protect other worlds, which would be pretty handy.  They might also be able to take out pirate bases that are too close.  That would make them still very useful, but you don't need a lot of them.  You just need them at major defensive points, blocking for your other colonies.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 06, 2020, 08:30:44 PM »

I'm surprised so many people have trouble without using a military base/HQ to defend with.  Very rarely have I had to race in and save a colony from a potential raid, as most of the time once I've got planetary shields it's pretty much fine, especially when a pristine nanoforge is boosting my ships.

When you've got planetary shields and pristine nanoforge fleets you are already at the end of progression anyway. That scenario is kinda irrelevant when discussing the difficulty of defending your empire while it grows.

I mean, you don't see people saying "I wonder why everyone's so worked up about the performance [insert early/midgame ship here], I just use [insert super endgame ship here] instead and I never have trouble doing well in battles", because that would be silly.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 08, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »

For a while I had a colony with no industries and a military base which covered it's own expenses on taxes for a while. It would still be targeted by pirate raids for the nothing the colony actually produced and I would have to defend it but now? I have heavy industry with a pristine nano-forge and a High command and nothing can touch me.

Still need to decide what to do with the remaining industry slots, but so far I'm still not drawing that much flak for existing.

But it IS interesting to see how much worth out of an industry-little, or less, colony that could. Just as a piggy bank for the fleet and store for supplies. You can ride an early largely defenceless colony for a while but pirates will raid regardless which is kinda naff.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 02, 2020, 05:14:16 AM »

I've been lurking this forum for a while, but never registered or posted, but would like to add that I think the phase cloak ability needs to have a proper counter. The idea is nice, but it's very boring to fight against, because even if you have otherwise decisively won the battle, you still need to wait for phase cloak ships to drop to 0 CR to be able to kill them. Needless to say, waiting for this drop is not very exciting. I've personally changed files on the instance of my game to remove phase ships altogether from the game.

My suggestion would be to introduce a new hullmod for Cruisers and Capitals that can produce a passive field that disables phase cloaking in its area. (I would also suggest this ability being innate for all stations and remnant nexuses as well as Radiant class ships)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:15:59 AM by dead_hand »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 20, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »

Be afraid: https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1251285866007461893

Nice! I'm very glad this was addressed. Looking forward to seeing the changes.  :)

Vehemence

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 21, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »

When can we expect the next update? It has been over a year at this point.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 21, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »

"When it's ready", I'm afraid - apologies :) Working on content as we speak, it's just a combination of a lot of work and not much I can easily talk about without spoiling it, hence the relative lack of new info.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62