Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351572 times)

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #660 on: May 25, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »

I dont complain about cargo capacity - need more cargo space? just take more cargo ships and its ok. But sensors is based on hull size. So if i want(and i want) to have (250x5+300)x1.25=1937 scanners range i need to take 5 capitals with high resolution sensors mod into fleet. Just 1 apogee and a few smaller ships is usually have much smaller sensor strenght. Like 300+150+60+60+60+60=690 without 25% from skill, or close to 1k with. Pretty big and noticeable difference.
Yeah I wouldn't mind something like this, but the Odyssey-class does have the cheapest fuel usage of the capital ships (even if it is still 8 fuel/ly), and does come with High Resolution sensors built-in (So 250 sensor strength from the get-go).  It can do 8 burn (which is pretty good for capitals), but personally it just isn't economical enough after flying around the Apogee.

Hard to afford early or midgame 40 fuel/ly just to have addditional 625 scanners. Its an also 200 supplies(20k credits) and 2k crew upkeep(another 20k) - 40k$ total per month. And Odysseys is kinda rare, so its really even not a midgame option.  :'(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »

I'm sorry, don't have much indepth to contribute, but i do have a thing to say about Pather/Pirate bases in fringe systems. They're more useful alive than dead most times as they're a constant source of food/fuel and work as a forward operating base, even if they hate your guts. All the benefits of a why you'd want a colony without any of the hassle.

Any chance that maybe i could meet a stray or two independent rimworlds, or some Sindrian expedition that got a bit too populous and popular and is now acting as a waypoint for scavengers and explorers? They don't have to show up on the planet list for the factions, but they'd be cool finds for people that know where they are.

It'd help with a bit of variety from trekking always from the coreworlds or your own colony stations, and maybe lead to more active exploitation of deep space past just 'running through them once to get the stuff'. I had a Pirate base nearby a cluster that always got a lot of bounties and it was cool not having to 'return to base' after each one or two bounties.

This sounds neat, kind of reminds me of the distant way stations in Elite Dangerous on route to Colonia or the Core.

On a related note, any possibility that there might be some larger sector options?

Would also be interesting to come across more scripted exploration moments, I think Stellaris did a pretty good job there with the initial exploration phase of the game and all those anomaly scans.  No fancy graphics (well occasionally you got a unique picture), all text with the occasional decision to be made.

(Just on a general note, yeah, this sort of stuff sounds like fun, and I'd love to add more things to discover while exploring the Sector.)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #662 on: May 25, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »

Perhaps it warrants a look at bounty fleets getting stuck when trying to get to the nearest planet (I assume it's the nearest) after the bounty's timer runs out.
This happens when there's a planet closely orbiting a super giant; the fleet refuses to enter the corona.
Maybe force them somehow?

I'm not sure if they'll eventually disappear. I'm keeping tabs on two of these fleets.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for the player to acquire terraforming technology? It would make a much greater number of worlds viable for colonization. I imagine that it could work in a similar fashion to Fuel Production and Heavy Industry. That is, a two-part system. The first being a learnable tech (same as the reward from the Red Planet), with its own questline leading you to it. The second being an item (terraforming core) you find while exploring, which you can install into a completed terraformer. You could probably only find them in certain locations (cryosleeper, spore ships, ruins above a certain size, etc). Building the terraformer would add "Terraformed" to your colony's modifiers, which reduces hazard rating by 25%. Installing a terraforming core would change the modifier to "Heavily Terraformed," and would reduce hazard rating by 50%. The caveat to this whole thing would be that planets cannot have a hazard rating less that 50%.

Just an idea I had.  :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 25, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »

Perhaps it warrants a look at bounty fleets getting stuck when trying to get to the nearest planet (I assume it's the nearest) after the bounty's timer runs out.
This happens when there's a planet closely orbiting a super giant; the fleet refuses to enter the corona.
Maybe force them somehow?

I'm not sure if they'll eventually disappear. I'm keeping tabs on two of these fleets.

I think they don't actually disappear, but that's been a low-priority item for me since it doesn't hurt anything and is fairly rare.

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for the player to acquire terraforming technology? It would make a much greater number of worlds viable for colonization. I imagine that it could work in a similar fashion to Fuel Production and Heavy Industry. That is, a two-part system. The first being a learnable tech (same as the reward from the Red Planet), with its own questline leading you to it. The second being an item (terraforming core) you find while exploring, which you can install into a completed terraformer. You could probably only find them in certain locations (cryosleeper, spore ships, ruins above a certain size, etc). Building the terraformer would add "Terraformed" to your colony's modifiers, which reduces hazard rating by 25%. Installing a terraforming core would change the modifier to "Heavily Terraformed," and would reduce hazard rating by 50%. The caveat to this whole thing would be that planets cannot have a hazard rating less that 50%.

Just an idea I had.  :P

Nothing I'd call a plan, but, hmm. What I really like here - and hadn't considered before - is the use of a special item. In particular if it was a single-use item, so it'd be an extremely limited thing. Let me add this to the list of "potential cool exploration-related things to add" - that's far from an "it'll be in the game", but there's a possibility :)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 26, 2019, 03:21:40 AM »

Possibility that some minor rewording is required:
Spoiler

The initial notification for a faction expedition states that
"Fighting the expeditionary force will not result in reputation changes"
But this happens when the expedition fails

Which may be a source of confusion.
Suggest adding the word "major" in front of reputation on the initial notice.
[close]

Re: Terraforming
Spoiler
This is the sort of thing that is very interesting, but simultaneously difficult to achieve in a way that doesn't feel like it's an afterthought, or a "press button to snowball player assets" deal.
Maybe this could be lead into in a similar way to the Red Planet, with a bit of a breadcrumb trail to follow ending in a unique item which has some significant time and resource (maybe also placement*) requirement attached.
This 'project' could then be used to spawn optional player missions to retrieve resources and/or perform anti-piracy actions to protect transport fleets. The reward for either being a progress boost for the project.

* I can't see terraforming a planet near a neutron star being a worthwhile endeavour for instance
[close]

Re: Exploring and Discoveries
Spoiler
Maybe something to look at would a wider variety, but lesser quantity of 'mundane' colony items.
Currently there are 2 flavours of nanoforge, and the synchrotron. All three of which are currently a little too easy to come by in numbers great enough that the player doensn't have to make any real choices about where to use them.
If these numbers were reduced somewhat, the value and utility of such finds would be much greater. As would the excitement of having found them.

Also, this presents an opportunity to introduce other similar items to enhance different industries. Both to 'dilute' the pool of items and spread thier occurance out a little. And to allow the player to at least partially mitigate the newfound resource restrictions with the new industry model (RNG allowing).
Possibility exists for:
  • Mining booster
  • Refinery booster
  • Farm/Food booster
  • Light Ind booster
  • Useable item/blueprint to build hydroponic farming industry on non food producing worlds
  • Useable item/blueprint to build above mentioned terraforming project
  • Useable item/blueprint to build 'Domain' structures/industries which may be more efficient than standard or do something else entirely
[close]

None of this is really nescessary. But it sure would be nice.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:18 AM »

What good is colonizing planets in a neutron system if your commerce traffic and patrols get blown away by pulsar beams?  Your fleet might handle them, but maybe not the important NPCs you want to have easy access to your colony.

Speaking of neutron stars, it is annoying when pirate bases spawn in those systems, but as a consolation prize, all patrols get blown away and the base is undefended, no need for special tricks to lure away guards because pulsar beams did the dirty work.

Re: Expeditions
The description is clear enough, but what is missing is the reputation change should the expedition fail.  The description could mention that the expedition failing at its mission will cause the minor reputation drop, even if a third party kills the expedition or you abandon your colony before it arrives in the system.  I was annoyed that I lost reputation after I abandoned the targeted colony because in a way, expedition was successful (problem industry is gone) even if the means was beyond the expedition's control.

Currently there are 2 flavours of nanoforge, and the synchrotron. All three of which are currently a little too easy to come by in numbers great enough that the player doensn't have to make any real choices about where to use them.
If these numbers were reduced somewhat, the value and utility of such finds would be much greater. As would the excitement of having found them.
I rather find too many than not enough.  People should not explore the entire sector before finding one.  It is probably endgame by the time player can fully explore half of the entire sector, if he has not wasted too much time babysitting colonies.

Oblivion

• Ensign
  • Breaking careful game balance since 1999.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 26, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »

Will Starsector have a linear storyline with one goal? Or would it have multiple storylines converging  on each other but ultimately having different endings?
<Nada>

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »

Will Starsector have a linear storyline with one goal? Or would it have multiple storylines converging  on each other but ultimately having different endings?
One like killing everyone after player gets fed up with constant expeditions and other abuse, a bit similar to Black Sabbath's Iron Man without the time travel.

Oblivion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »

One like killing everyone after player gets fed up with constant expeditions and other abuse, a bit similar to Black Sabbath's Iron Man without the time travel.

Ah... I see.  ::)
<Nada>

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »

I could see a 'story' revolving around some large event that happens after the game starts. Like the 4th? AI war, or some foreign invasion kinda thing. Something that would seek to largely end civilisation in the sector, as we know it, and is sotmhing that the player can get involved in or not as they see fit.

The new regime could be better, after all...
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Oblivion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

Faction specific storylines could be interesting. Helping the Hegemony open up the gates and unite the sector or joining a TT expedition in fringe space to search for forgotten technology. Maybe even collaborating with the Pathers in a holy crusade against the sector to start a new “golden age” without technology. Probably too far-fetched though. Also, option to make the sector even bigger?  ;D
<Nada>

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »

What good is colonizing planets in a neutron system if your commerce traffic and patrols get blown away by pulsar beams?

Welll... it's hilarious.

The number 1 goal for my player-created faction and it's colonies is to settle in unusual or cool-looking systems, or systems with neat unique names, or anywhere that is in a fun position.
I mean, what's the point of having a faction that's just profitable/good/powerful because they're sitting in decent but ordinary star systems? The normal pre-set NPC factions already do that, so I'll put my colonies into nebulae, neutron stars, black holes, supergiant systems, binary/trinary systems, or anything with neat names (I love taking Aztlan from the hegemony for the birth of an aztec-flavored faction).

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »

What good is colonizing planets in a neutron system if your commerce traffic and patrols get blown away by pulsar beams?

Welll... it's hilarious.

The number 1 goal for my player-created faction and it's colonies is to settle in unusual or cool-looking systems, or systems with neat unique names, or anywhere that is in a fun position.
I mean, what's the point of having a faction that's just profitable/good/powerful because they're sitting in decent but ordinary star systems? The normal pre-set NPC factions already do that, so I'll put my colonies into nebulae, neutron stars, black holes, supergiant systems, binary/trinary systems, or anything with neat names (I love taking Aztlan from the hegemony for the birth of an aztec-flavored faction).

Nothing quite like making a lava fortress world. Although making one that's profitable is a whole other matter...
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »

I like to settle on habitable planets that would be pleasant for my character to vacation or live on.  The ideal being that elusive 50% hazard Terran with Mild Climate, and maybe high farmland.  I have seriously considered settling on 75% hazard Terran planets even if it is worse and further away from core than more valuable but more inhospitable planets.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62