Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351677 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #570 on: May 19, 2019, 01:23:33 PM »

Too bad there's not a diplomatic option to help stabilize a colony like we do for our own colonies, by maybe talking to the Admin on the planet and offering emergency supplies, credits, etc.
In Nexerelin there already is a feature like this, where you can deliver either some food or some military hardware to increase the planet's stability. I had hoped for an AI-exclusive feature to make market destabilisation something that can happen either due to an extraordinary bad luck or due to the player intervention, but this can work too, I guess. Ordering your faction to keep peace could be an alternative.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

I've been trying that and my fleet seems to prefer to swim in circles, presumably trying to arrive on the exact pixel I clicked on. This means that big nasty fleet sees my sig and catches me :/

The previous functionality, while a bug, was also super useful. I hope you will consider restoring it, or adding something new that provides the same function. Having an unambigous "all stop" command is important in a world where stealth depends on being stopped.

Hmm, this gives me an idea - let me take a look at something.

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1130250630667395079

:D

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 19, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »

I've been trying that and my fleet seems to prefer to swim in circles, presumably trying to arrive on the exact pixel I clicked on. This means that big nasty fleet sees my sig and catches me :/

The previous functionality, while a bug, was also super useful. I hope you will consider restoring it, or adding something new that provides the same function. Having an unambigous "all stop" command is important in a world where stealth depends on being stopped.

Hmm, this gives me an idea - let me take a look at something.

On nice!

I'm not the one that originally commented on this, but I found myself pressing "S" a bit in 0.9.1a and wondering why my ships wouldn't stop, so I was missing this "Feature" as well (didn't know it was tied to a bug).

Is the second part of the feature a bit like "Going Dark", without having to toggle it, and/or does it stack further with that ability?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 19, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »

I'm not the one that originally commented on this, but I found myself pressing "S" a bit in 0.9.1a and wondering why my ships wouldn't stop, so I was missing this "Feature" as well (didn't know it was tied to a bug).

Yeah, it was setting the move destination to something fairly random but that consistently made the fleet stop. It was ... weird.

Is the second part of the feature a bit like "Going Dark", without having to toggle it, and/or does it stack further with that ability?

It's literally just "move at burn level 2*, which is low enough to maintain the 'stationary or slow-moving' sensor profile reduction from various terrain that has it".

In some sense, it stacks with Go Dark, since the bonus from terrain will stack with it, but there's no bonus or penalty from holding the key down. (The key is S, btw; moved "cancel laid in course" to T.)

*This is configurable in settings.json

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 19, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »

Oh wow, I always assumed to get the stealth bonus for hiding you needed to be completely stationary.  So as long as your burn speed is 2 burn or lower you get the same bonus as if you were stationary?

Then I can see this being pretty useful indeed!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 19, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »

It's actually "below burn level 1" in the currently-out version, but yeah, you can keep it while moving very slowly. It's possible to do it by clicking very close to your fleet just to nudge it along, for example.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 19, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »

Started a new game, bought out some marines (from pirate bases) here and there.  After a few bounties, I got a few hundred marines, and raided one of the Hegemony bases in Valhalla.  Got an Eagle (XIV) blueprint.  I could sell it back to the Hegemony for about 150k and jump start midgame early.

I like to raid pirates after I shop at their black markets to get some free stuff.  If I happen to pass by another factions heavy industry and their defense is not too high, time to get a blueprint!

Riph

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »

You, are, the man. What a great addition. Looking forward to stealthing around even better than ever.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 19, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »

Started a new game, bought out some marines (from pirate bases) here and there.  After a few bounties, I got a few hundred marines, and raided one of the Hegemony bases in Valhalla.  Got an Eagle (XIV) blueprint.  I could sell it back to the Hegemony for about 150k and jump start midgame early.

I like to raid pirates after I shop at their black markets to get some free stuff.  If I happen to pass by another factions heavy industry and their defense is not too high, time to get a blueprint!

Nice - good to see raiding actually being useful, and not being a purely late-game activity at that.

You, are, the man. What a great addition. Looking forward to stealthing around even better than ever.

I'll just say, you made a really solid point about why it was important. Thank you!

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 19, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »

Hmmmm.... So after the battle, I got a dialog saying something about how I couldn't pursue the enemy, with two options; the first was disabled and the second was "Leave". I believe the faction I was aiding had only the station present in the battle, and that station was destroyed, so their forces were entirely defeated. Also there was a bounty active, though that doesn't really seem like something that would matter.

Thank you for the added info! Gave this a try - didn't cause the issue, either. Which I guess is good in the sense that it's probably not going to require a hotfix due to not being a general issue, but bad since, you know, haven't actually fixed it yet.

Okay, I just happened to come across a rather substantial pirate armada attacking an unguarded Mimir Siphon platform, so I got a chance to experiment with this some more. When I destroyed all of the pirate ships, it went into a normal victory screen. However, when I got some of them to retreat mid-battle (after heavily damaging them) and then let the remaining enemy ships end the battle by retreating at the end of the fight, it goes to the Pursuit screen, at which point my options are "Join the pursuit" and "Leave"; the pursuit must be joined to get loot but there are several cases where pursuit is unjoinable.

Also it turns out if you try to generate lost ships for your fleet by ramming them into an allied station and in the process destroy the station with your ship's explosion, it will stop being allied after the battle.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 19, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »

Also, how long is the post-raid transponder on danger time supposed to last? I had to turn on my transponder to help out Mimir Siphon right after raiding Raesvalg but they didn't go hostile.

And it looks like raiding doesn't have any 'just turned off the transponder' memory? Here I've been sneaking into the system with it off like a good raider, but apparently I can just turn it off in orbit immediately before launching the raid!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 19, 2019, 09:16:39 PM »

Okay, I just happened to come across a rather substantial pirate armada attacking an unguarded Mimir Siphon platform, so I got a chance to experiment with this some more. When I destroyed all of the pirate ships, it went into a normal victory screen. However, when I got some of them to retreat mid-battle (after heavily damaging them) and then let the remaining enemy ships end the battle by retreating at the end of the fight, it goes to the Pursuit screen, at which point my options are "Join the pursuit" and "Leave"; the pursuit must be joined to get loot but there are several cases where pursuit is unjoinable.

Aha, thank you - took a look and fixed this up (by making the allies pick the "harry" option when pursuit is not possible).

Also, how long is the post-raid transponder on danger time supposed to last? I had to turn on my transponder to help out Mimir Siphon right after raiding Raesvalg but they didn't go hostile.

And it looks like raiding doesn't have any 'just turned off the transponder' memory? Here I've been sneaking into the system with it off like a good raider, but apparently I can just turn it off in orbit immediately before launching the raid!

Right, yeah - though coming in with the transponder off is still useful in case there are patrols around the target and you need to fight them to be able to raid.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 20, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »

Is that issue being hotfixed?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 20, 2019, 05:03:55 AM »

@ Alex:  I bet raiding would have been useful in 0.9a, but I did not know transponder-off eliminated suspicion at the time.  Because of that, I avoided Black Market like the plague, thus, no cheap marines.  After learning of that change recently, I shop at Black Market all of the time to avoid tariffs.  In fact, a reason why Commerce on my colony is useless for buying and selling stuff is because of 1) tariffs and 2) pop-up pirate or pather bases.  Even without tariffs, some pop-up bases can sell stuff cheaper than what I can draw from my colony resources, especially personnel.  Anytime I have junk stored at my colony to sell (or to top off on crew and marines), I can wait (or not) for a pirate base to spawn near my colony to target it, then I can bring my junk (except blueprints), sell it to pirates, raid them for stuff, then kill them.  Pirates are more like pushy travelling salesmen.

Last night, built a colony early (Oct or Nov 206) in a system next to a pirate base.  I considered saving that base until there was a bounty posted and raid that base repeatedly for freebies in the meantime, maybe see if it decivilizes.  In the end, I decided to destroy it before that base grew from a one-section wimp that my modest fleet of destroyers could handle to a full-sectioned tier 1 station that would be too hard to destroy.

I bought a Colossus 3 because my fleet needs some cargo capacity, and I wanted to boost my raiding power a bit in case I bring fewer marines.  (My income is not very high yet.)  I think my current game is the first one where raiding is a significant early-game income source.  It would yield the most income if I am willing to sell the blueprints I steal, but I decide to either learn or hoard them instead.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:30:56 AM by Megas »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 20, 2019, 05:25:09 AM »

I always thought buying at our own markets with tariffs was really weird. It's odd to have to go shopping in stations other than your own if you want the best deals, it feels counter-intuitive (besides getting stuff from the stockpile).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:59:38 AM by Cyan Leader »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62