Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 353076 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2019, 09:10:08 AM »

Battlestations honor priorities!  Finally, I can have my Tachyon Lance death star guarding my colony.  Once again, I found Tachyon Lance early, then high-tech pack.  This time, as long as the lance has priority, the station will use lances as told.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »

Wasn't that always the case? In .9 my stations respected it and I defended many times my Tachyon death station.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »

Wasn't that always the case? In .9 my stations respected it and I defended many times my Tachyon death station.
No.  Back during 0.9, after I learned high-tech pack, my high-tech station refused to use anything other than autopulse, no matter the priority settings (i.e., I prioritize lance, but it used autopulse.  It only used lance if it is the only available weapon, but dumps lances for autopulse as soon as it became available.).  Today in 0.9.1, it will use whatever I prioritize.  If it is lances, it will use those.  If it is plasma cannon, that will be used.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »

Made my first colony, focus on being an exploration waypoint and tech-mining. Alpha core on the first month. Surprisingly enough, the colony actually gives me some money, even if it will take about 30 months until it pays itself off. I also had my first pirate raid, it was just a fleet of some cruisers, destroyers and frigates, nothing hard to deal with. One good thing about increased population thresholds is that I don't have to pay much attention to the growth meter, it won't finish any time soon.
Does tech-mining auto sell itself after some time, or do I still have to close the shop manually? And do alpha cores provide any benefit to tech-mining at all? They don't produce any commodity anymore.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »

Does tech-mining auto sell itself after some time, or do I still have to close the shop manually? And do alpha cores provide any benefit to tech-mining at all? They don't produce any commodity anymore.

It doesn't - that'd be a bit weird, wouldn't it? It's up to you to decide when you want to stop with the diminishing returns. It's also one of very few industries that doesn't benefit from an AI core, at least at the moment.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »

Noticed Luddic Church and Independents have Heavy Industries of their own.  Independents (at New Maxios) having Heavy Industry in a system with sparse (Tri-Tachyon) patrols makes it great for convenient stealth drive-by raiding for blueprints.  Just nicked a Harbinger blueprint from them on my way to hunt a pirate base with a high bounty.  I have a shiny new Harbinger built and ready to go once I make it back to my colony.

I finally used a Legion (XIV) seriously for the first time (due to lack of money to mass produce capitals).  I like it.  It is the only brawling ship that can use dumb-fire large missiles easily and not die trying (Gryphon) or gimp their other guns (Apogee or Conquest).  Hammer Barrage on a beefy ship that can use them easily is nice, although Hammer Barrage is pricey for the lack of ammo.  Wished it was either a bit cheaper like Hellbore (16 or 18 OP) or have more ammo.

I need to try Gryphon soon now that it has builtin Expanded Missile Racks.  Maybe it has enough OP to get enough nice things.

After playing with Increased Maintenance more, I find it hurts most early when it is challenging to save money and an annoyance late in the game.  Still, I try to avoid using such ships when I can, at least the bigger ones.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »

Found a pristine Legion (XIV) in my latest exploration playthrough about 3 months in. Every weapon mount was filled and it had full squadrons of fighters. I couldn't pass it up. It's a pain to lug around but it just completely changed my ability to challenge stuff. I still don't like it as much as the base Legion but it is a good ship. Without skills, though, it is a ungainly beast and of course I tend to bite off more than I can chew because my supporting fleet is pretty unspectacular (even with an Apogee).

I had to put Efficiency Overhaul on it and I just found Augmented Drive Field but can't squeeze it in without losing too much. As a flagship, though (this early!), it's quite cool.

Still can't put down a colony yet. Haven't found a world I'm too happy with yet but I'm still operating under 0.9 rules of "Hazard Rating>All." I hear that's not entirely necessary now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »

Right now, my main colony is a lone Terran planet because I have not found a better system yet to plop a bunch of colonies down.  So far, I have temporary colonies elsewhere to provide commodities and tech-mines.  My Terran grew to size 5, so it is permanent.  Low hazard is nice for the first colony, but higher hazard is fine once player can cut upkeep costs.

I wanted to try Legion (XIV) because I want a good ship that can use dumb-fire large missiles well.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »

Using colonies for tech mining exclusively sounds like a good endgame idea, because there's so many ruins everywhere. How many blueprints are you usually getting per mine on an 'extensive ruins' planet? I got really unlucky with my first one and got none. Haven't tried tech mining since.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 14, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »

Just tried Harbinger.  Between AM Blaster and Phase Lance, AM Blaster gets the job done faster, although Phase Lance is an alternative.  Harbinger needs (or a very good idea to get) Gunnery Implants 3 and ITU to have enough shot range for 1) Disruptor to work before AM Blaster shots arrive and 2) avoid getting caught by exploding capital ships.  Without ITU, my Harbinger can hurt Conquest, but then go down with Conquest due to being too close to the explosion.

Using colonies for tech mining exclusively sounds like a good endgame idea, because there's so many ruins everywhere. How many blueprints are you usually getting per mine on an 'extensive ruins' planet? I got really unlucky with my first one and got none. Haven't tried tech mining since.
During 0.9, I found several blueprints and other items when I tech-mined frequently.  In my 0.9.1 game, I started four or five tech mines, but only got two or so blueprints (Falcon (P) and Pather pack).  Tech-mines will not give blueprints you already know.  It takes a while to suck mines dry, so the earlier you start, the better (if you can afford it).

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 14, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »

Just 2 habitable planets right in the middle of core sector.  ;D

PS Seed, if someone want easy game.  8)
MN-685010773089335503

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:20:45 PM by Awe »

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 14, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »

I'm super happy to discover that the commission stopping raids also allows you to settle colonies in claimed systems. I've picked out the nicest uninhabitable rock in my faction's home system and have set myself up a little heavy industry base, to get some use out of the blueprints I've found.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »

My two colonies seem to be profitable enough even if all they have is tech-mining, surprisingly enough, though the Remnants keep stealing my comm relays (I can't afford a Patrol HQ yet, nor do I want to buy it, as both of these colonies are temporary tech-mining endeavours). Lowered upkeep makes it really, really easy to just plop down a colony on some useless rock and not worry about it bankrupting the player. It might not make back the money in profits, but if it's a tech-mine, it should in blueprints and other neat stuff.
I really appreciate the farming and light industry _lows and _highs.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »

I didn't know Remnants stole relays at all. Been having a Nav buoy active in a high-level Remnant system for years and they never touched it.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 15, 2019, 06:29:29 PM »

They don't care until you establish a colony, at which point they'll not only take control of player owned objectives, but they'll even build makeshift ones in open stable locations.

Are domain probe graveyards supposed to be a thing?
Spoiler
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62