Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351601 times)

Legion0047

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: April 28, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »

So i absolutely love this game but even the most marginal colony absolutely breaks the economy.

Have you thought about introducing upkeep costs for defense fleets?

Or being able to use Alpha cores as officers of your fleet?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 28, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »

So i absolutely love this game but even the most marginal colony absolutely breaks the economy.

Much of the .1 update is about taking this down a notch or three :) We'll see if it's enough, but, yeah, definitely working to address that.

Have you thought about introducing upkeep costs for defense fleets?

In .1, a "Military Base" will take up an "industry" slot (limited to 1-4 or so based on colony size, does not limit structures like spaceports or orbital stations), so that's an additional opportunity cost for having defense fleets - like extra upkeep, in a sense.

I have thought about upkeep costs for fleets, but I think where that'll really work is for offensive operations. At least, that's what I'd like to to try out in the future - fairly obscene costs for getting your military fleets to other systems.

Or being able to use Alpha cores as officers of your fleet?

:-X

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »

:-X
Considering it, then? Interesting. I'd like to see being able to use items as officers or crew. The former for some AI-centric mods and some skill abuse, the latter to maybe have different factions offer different crew that's good at manning different ships, so that there's some reason to buddy up with any given faction.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »

I expect alpha cores to behave like Cylons or Gollum.  Ultimately untrustworthy entities who will betray you eventually.  Like, suddenly become enemies and try to kill you (or steal your assets right out from under you).

So far, the worst alpha cores can do is act like yandere or clingy jealous girlfriends who do not want you to leave, and given the benefits they give, why would a munchkin player willingly leave his clingy harem of alpha cores?

Legion0047

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

In .1, a "Military Base" will take up an "industry" slot (limited to 1-4 or so based on colony size, does not limit structures like spaceports or orbital stations), so that's an additional opportunity cost for having defense fleets - like extra upkeep, in a sense.

I have thought about upkeep costs for fleets, but I think where that'll really work is for offensive operations. At least, that's what I'd like to to try out in the future - fairly obscene costs for getting your military fleets to other systems.

Yeah but the upkeep of the military base is tiny in comparison to what it does. It should be a lot bigger, at least on higher levels.

This would also incentivice the use of a low tech fleet as the lower upkeep would mean less costs while a high tech fleet would cost more.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »

Yeah but the upkeep of the military base is tiny in comparison to what it does. It should be a lot bigger, at least on higher levels.

I probably didn't make it quite clear how it works. "Industries" (as opposed to structures) are limited to a low maximum. So, for example, at a size 5 colony, you'd have a maximum of 3. You might go for, say, Farming, Light Industry, and Heavy Industry. If you wanted a Military Base there, you'd have to give up one of the other three - and the significant income that brings. That's what I mean by "opportunity cost" - it may not cost *that* much directly, but it costs a lot more when you consider what it takes the place of.

Plus, the base upkeep of Military Base is higher, too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

Does military base/high command increase Pather interest?

For my next game, I may attempt to avoid pathers because they have been such a pain without the Intel exploit in 0.9a.  (But even with the exploit, they were still annoying.)  That probably means fewer interest increasing industries, which does not leave much left.  But if 0.9.1a limits industries anyway, that may not be problem.

I plan to put military bases on all colonies to see if auto-resolving all major factions still works.  Part of the point of multiple colonies in one system is overlapping defenses (from patrols) to intercept all invaders.  (One military base is not reliable enough.)  I suppose I could make more money by just ignoring military and pay bribes, but paying bribes just does not feel right.  An emperor demands tribute, not pay it!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »

It doesn't, I believe. Unless you put an AI core in, of course...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »

@ Alex: I meant no core use.  Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »

Yeah, figured. I was just being overly specific for no good reason :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »

Alex, I meant the "no more than X number of industries" limit. The one you are adding with .91
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »

Ah! In that case, yes - it's set up like this:

"maxIndustries":[1,1,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,4],

With the index in the array (well, index + 1) being the colony size.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »

Ah! In that case, yes - it's set up like this:

"maxIndustries":[1,1,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,4],

With the index in the array (well, index + 1) being the colony size.

Awesome!
It is little things like this and how easy it is to mod SS that makes it such a great game in my eyes!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2019, 11:21:23 PM »

If you deploy as usual, order a mass retreat and then deploy again, do you lose any loot? If during the retreat the last ship on the battlefield dies, does it count the whole battle as lost, somehow? I use redeployment pretty liberally and have no issues with it, but other people don't share my experiences and now I'm not sure anymore if it's as good of a strategy as I thought.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2019, 04:23:45 AM »

I fully agree with Midnight Kitsune. The more things we can modify without the need to be a rocket scientist, the better.
It makes this sandbox game truly, euh, sandboxy. Thanks for doing just that!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62