Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351454 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »

It's something that could plausibly be modded in, although the sheer volume of stuff that could go wrong with any implementation I can think of is daunting.

I'm more interested in the Biospecimens commodity icon and what it portends. Selling those to... greenish... trader types has worked out swimmingly for intrepid space-captains before, after all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »

I'm more interested in the Biospecimens commodity icon and what it portends. Selling those to... greenish... trader types has worked out swimmingly for intrepid space-captains before, after all.

<checks> ... apparently, that's been in since 2014 and I did not know about the icon existing.

(Heeey, at least someone noticed those colorful trader types!)

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2019, 03:39:12 AM »

Yes! New development patch notes!
And, do you have any ideas about new forum's style? I mean, default styles couldn't show "this is starsector forum", why not add some logo on the top of the website?such as replacing the logo of "simplemachines forum"
My mods

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:55 AM »

<checks> ... apparently, that's been in since 2014 and I did not know about the icon existing.

Hahaha.
Well uh. I think I had some notion about biospecimens being a product of Jangala and/or any xenolife world to help offset/make interesting the possible downsides (there is at least one ah provocative market condition icon to go with this). Anyway ... there's no lack of ideas for random stuff floating around.

... "Perfectly Safe Xenobiological Exports" DLC confirmed? (Or maybe a fun mod would take this on.)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »

>Improved ship-to-ship pursuit intercept logic over long distances For example side-deployed ships should be more capable of intercepting fleeing enemies
No more ordering them ahead? That's neat. I guess ships have an innate sense of the general vector of ships that go into fog of war now? Not just instantly forgetting about them?

Also i see a lot of autoresolve fixes, does that also cover autoresolving against small/single-ship REDACTED forces?

>Chaingun is now 600 DPS for 10 OP (albeit only 450 range)?
Chaingun had a lot of things going against it, and still somewhat has, but i think this will do a fair bit to increase its use in a fair bit of niche cases.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:33:10 PM by Cosmitz »

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2019, 07:12:44 AM »

There are some nice things in the changelog!

Its good that the drop rate from Remnant fleets was increased, however, I was hoping from a significant drop rate reduction of expensive items like nano forges, blueprints etc., because I am consistently able to earn hundreds of thousands withing just 3 hours of playtime through them.
As for many, the early game struggle is by far the most exciting part of the game.

Oh, and its unfortunate that the fleet deployment and command transfer rework didn't make into the patch yet, because I feel like that this broke the game for many new players.

But I know - time is the most cruel limitation of all things.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »

With over 2/3rds of the sector explored, I have found a single pristine Nanoforge and two Fuel-Cores. About 10 corrupted Nanoforges. I'd say the drop rate for these better versions is either fine or somewhat on the low side.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »

I assume that there are only two guaranteed nanoforge sources, the two motherships in the sector. Discounting them (since I don't always find them), I typically find a dozen or so of corrupted nanoforges, about five synchrotrons and up to three pristine nanoforges (with only one being found within a useful time period). I don't think drop rates of those items should be decreased.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

In the games after I explore half the sector, I find at least one synchrotron when I need one, but the number of excess synchrotrons found varies.  Some games, I found several extra, but others I find only one or two more.

As for pristine nanoforge, I did not find any in half of my games before exploring half of the sector, and I had to raid core worlds for it.  In one of those unlucky games, I found one at the left side of the sector after I completely explored the right side.  As for the other half where I got lucky, I found only one.  In one game, one was from salvaging a station (with no skills in Salvaging; would not have found it if Salvaging had points).  Another game, I had a lucky early haul from a tech mine, but did not find anymore pristine forges after that.

I find about a dozen or so corrupted nanoforges in each game.

For blueprints, after aggressive tech-mining and exploring about half of the sector, I find about half of all of the blueprints... which leaves the other half to be stolen from core worlds through mind-numbing Diablo 2-style magic-find runs.  From the looks of the patch notes update, it seems like blueprint drops will be reliable enough to eliminate or greatly reduce the worst of item grinding tedium (that online games tend to encourage).

For item drops, pristine nanoforges seem too rare.  Synchrotron seems okay.

I do not sell those items (aside from exploiting Commerce bug, which will be gone soon).  I hoard them all in case I decide to plop down a bunch of alpha-governed colonies someday where I can put all of the spares to good use.  (I have not done so yet.)

Re: motherships
They are rare enough that you do not always find them when you need to.  (e.g., They are left of core, but you spend years sweeping right of core.)  Also, I read that they can drop corrupted nanoforge instead of pristine nanoforge.  So even if you find a mothership, it may not have what you want.

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 28, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »

I can consistently find 3-5 corrupted nano forges, many blueprints I don't need and a couple class III-IV survey data within 3 hours of playtime.
All you need to do is to do is aggressive exploration.

That's around 300k credits in such a short playtime, which is enough for an end game winning fleet.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:39:53 AM by sqrt(-1) »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

Oh, and its unfortunate that the fleet deployment and command transfer rework didn't make into the patch yet, because I feel like that this broke the game for many new players.

Hmm? I actually don't know what you mean.

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »

• Flagship selection at the deployment screen instead of the engagement dialogue
  • Right click for flagship selection, left click for deployment
  • Forced flagship deployment (AI can still be toggled)
  • Player controlled phased command shuttle after flagship destruction for self-explanatory command transfer and fun solution for flawed/broken video feed feature

Those things would fix a lot of extremely weird game states which evidently confuse tons of people (observable on youtube, etc.).

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15105.0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:43:35 AM by sqrt(-1) »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »

>Improved ship-to-ship pursuit intercept logic over long distances For example side-deployed ships should be more capable of intercepting fleeing enemies
No more ordering them ahead? That's neat. I guess ships have an innate sense of the general vector of ships that go into fog of war now? Not just instantly forgetting about them?

I think they have some memory of that (not 100% sure, tbh) but that's not what's being used here - just whatever visible (due to pursuers from the bottom) ship they're aiming for.

Also i see a lot of autoresolve fixes, does that also cover autoresolving against small/single-ship REDACTED forces?

The various fixes woul apply to that as well, if that's what you mean.

• Flagship selection at the deployment screen instead of the engagement dialogue
  • Right click for flagship selection, left click for deployment
  • Forced flagship deployment (AI can still be toggled)
  • Player controlled phased command shuttle after flagship destruction for self-explanatory command transfer and fun solution for flawed/broken video feed feature

Those things would fix a lot of extremely weird game states which evidently confuse tons of people (observable on youtube, etc.).

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15105.0

Ahh, right - thank you. Yeah, that was never going to happen for .1 due to the risk of breaking things - but the flagship-selecting through right-click idea, I'd like to keep in mind.

As far as the nanoforge etc drop rates - if making money through those is too easy, then reducing the sell price might be an option, hmm. Although, since industries and ships are more expensive, that money won't quite catapult you into the endgame the way it used to. I don't want to reduce the drop rate; imo these items should usually be findable with a moderate dedication to exploration, and not require scouring the entire Sector.

GenericBurnerAccount

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00:27 AM »

Hello I like this game:

Can you add some quality of life fixes:

1. Add a tooltip explaining how item management works: (shift, ctrl, to move different amounts of items)

2. Add a new shortcut key for moving entire inventory (for example, when moving all weapons you have stored from one station into your cargo hold for transport to another station)

3. Add a way to toggle speed up time, rather than just hold shift.

4. Add a way to toggle "White-out" lens flare explosions (hurts my eyes)

5. EDIT In the character level up screen, please add a tip listing the max number of levels (is it 40? or 50?) This helps my build planning.

IF there is a way to do any of these things by editing the files directly, please let me know.

Thanks for the game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:03:12 AM by GenericBurnerAccount »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

Hello I like this game:

Thank you! :)

1. Add a tooltip explaining how item management works: (shift, ctrl, to move different amounts of items)

IIRC there's a help popup the first time you open the inventory.

2. Add a new shortcut key for moving entire inventory (for example, when moving all weapons you have stored from one station into your cargo hold for transport to another station)

In data/config/settings.json:
Find "altMouseMoveToMassTransfer":false, and change it to true. Then you can hold down alt and move the mouse around to mass-transfer anything it moves over. It's a bit finicky (in particular in relation to alt-tab being used) and so is turned off by default.

3. Add a way to toggle speed up time, rather than just hold shift.

This is in the .1 update, which'll come out very soon! There's a setting under Settings -> Gameplay tab to set whether shift is a toggle or needs to be held down.

4. Add a way to toggle "White-out" lens flare explosions (hurts my eyes)

In data/config/settings.json:
"enableShipExplosionWhiteout":true, -> change to false

5. EDIT In the character level up screen, please add a tip listing the max number of levels (is it 40? or 50?) This helps my build planning.

It's 50, and btw, it's editable - again, in settings.json:

"playerMaxLevel":50,

Let me make a note to add the maximum level somewhere there. Going to do a skill overhaul at some point, that'll be a good time to work that in.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62