Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351692 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »

Is there any way to work around this? I have a mod faction that lists a couple hulls by name from another mod, which currently is handled in a robust enough way that it just doesn't spawn those ships when the other mod isn't active, and does when they are.

(An example that's likely broken but just hasn't crashed *yet* - while traveling through hyperspace, the game occasionally spawns derelict ships. The faction the ships are from depends on what markets are nearby. If this happens to pick one of the "missing" ships, I'm fairly sure it'll crash. But the odds of that happening are low - you'd have to be in the vicinity of the market, and it'd have to roll that ship, which is probably pretty unlikely.)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »

Awesome. I'm looking forward to trying out these colonization changes  :)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:05 PM »

I'm not asking for spoilers but has any content been added in this patch? Something like more ships, bar missions or some hidden fights?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »

Well, there's technically one new bar event, and the new skin for the Shrike, but it's generally not a content patch. Oh, and the bar ambience, I think that definitely counts as content because it's awesome :) And some new d-mods. So, I guess: bits and bobs here and there?

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »

And two new capital ships!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »

Oh, right, had a feeling I was forgetting something! :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:16 PM »

Pity about the water worlds losing farming, I really liked the alternate graphics for the industry!

Reduced upkeep and reducing upkeep with in faction supplies:

Reduced base upkeep is going to make higher hazard worlds more viable as sources for raw materials, but on the other hand, that same reduced upkeep means that on a low hazard world, there is much less incentive to get the raw materials in the first place. On the one hand, the empire builder in me loves to be able to make a supply web, but on the other hand we only get so many colonies and the financial incentives of vertical integration seem low.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »

Pity about the water worlds losing farming, I really liked the alternate graphics for the industry!

Oh, that still works - "Aquaculture" requires "Water-covered Surface", not farmland. Farmland was just causing the "double food production" bug for water worlds.

Reduced upkeep and reducing upkeep with in faction supplies:

Reduced base upkeep is going to make higher hazard worlds more viable as sources for raw materials, but on the other hand, that same reduced upkeep means that on a low hazard world, there is much less incentive to get the raw materials in the first place. On the one hand, the empire builder in me loves to be able to make a supply web, but on the other hand we only get so many colonies and the financial incentives of vertical integration seem low.

Hmm, possibly. On the other hand, additional Heavy Industry on more Terran worlds runs into diminishing returns, now that their demand doesn't add to the market value, and with it not being all that profitable in the first place. In my test run, I've got a 175% hazard world with Mining and Refining, and a 100% one with Farming and Heavy Industry, and their income is more or less the same. The bonus from having more stuff supplied in-faction is modest, but it doesn't feel like it came at a great cost, either.

Lots of ways this could end up being optimized, though! I'll certainly keep an eye on it and am open to tweaking it further.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »

Oh no, my water world isn't going to be able to feed a hundred quintillion people now!?

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »

• Apogee: increased shield flux per damage to 0.7 (was: 0.6)
Oh dear  :'(

Well I'm disappointed with my favourite ships strongest aspect being nerfed, but my end-game fleets always involve lots of Apogees, as their shield tanking is legendary, so I have been expecting a nerf to this ship since it's 0.9a cost reduction (The low fuel usage, excellent cargo and fuel capacity on top of it's Surveying suite make it very cheap for it's deployment costs).

Still, I'm very much looking forward to giving this new release a go (The increased costs will be interesting to try out, hopefully it will give a better sense of progression) :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:14:56 PM by Baqar79 »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »

System-activated ship engines are no longer affected by low-CR malfunctions

Are they still affected by the engine malfunction chance provided by, say, Ill-Advised Modications?

R.U.A

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:03 AM »

It affects the AI and some other stuff such as fleet doctrines/fleet compositions.

Could you give a little explanation about the effect on AI?
Access to RDS failed.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2019, 03:22:36 AM »

The good stuff! Very happy about AI cores becoming less rare, raiding changes, hyperspace storm changes, removal of Q/W hotkeys (way too many newcomers got stuck on this), emphasized pather hail, auto navigation not targeting stars anymore. Nerfed growth incentives will make passive bonuses more attractive. Good to see autofit and EW/CM fixes in particular.
   However, I'm less phased about some other things. Two new D-mods are sort of justification for Efficiency Overhaul hullmod; fine by me, others might find it more of an annoyance. Industry price and upkeep changes seem funny to me. Hazard rating was so much of an issue that now it's made not only much weaker, but can also be made 85% redundant (25% from beta, 50% from demand, 10% from industry planning). Maybe 70% redundant if we go for multiplication instead of subtraction. It's a shame Patrol HQ will only spawn very few patrols now. The complaint about being unable to buy ships doesn't come from the fact that people were overloaded with hotkeys, but form the fact that they don't use hotkeys at all and used different options to access ship market and commodities market.
   Balancing changes weren't expected, but aren't unwelcome. Needler, ACG and Hurricane buffs are nice, especially for ACG since it was hopelessly outclassed by the heavy mortar. Nerf to Perdition is certainly warranted. I'm not sure if it's worth an OP increase as well, but it's not so strong anymore. I like that Shrike is cheaper to maintain and Hammerhead is more expensive, it reflects their power rating a bit better now. I am very happy about price increases, but this comes from a guy who likes to play with prices 3 to 5 times higher than default, so...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2019, 04:26:36 AM »

Chaingun is now 600 DPS for 10 OP (albeit only 450 range)?
This is going to look fairly weird (out-DPSing probably three quarters of large weapons). But the actual change to gameplay probably isn't going to be exceptional I guess.

Is there any way to work around this? I have a mod faction that lists a couple hulls by name from another mod, which currently is handled in a robust enough way that it just doesn't spawn those ships when the other mod isn't active, and does when they are.

There isn't, no - sorry! This doesn't seem like a good idea, though. If a missing ship ID is present in a faction's "known ships", for example, it's not just your code that has to be robust in handling this, but all of vanilla and every single other mod that might conceivably do something based on what ships a faction knows. It's a "random" crash waiting to happen.

If you want to do this, I think a more robust way to do it would be to manually add those ships (and remove some other ships to compensate?) to whatever fleets you want via a script (say, in a "reportFleetSpawned(CampaignFleetAPI fleet)" method, or in some other way after it spawns.)
I think you could just make the faction not know the hulls by default, and add them to faction's known ships in onNewGame()/onGameLoad() if the other mod is detected?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »

BTW: Is it intentional that PirateBaseIntel.affectsMarket() doesn't check if the market is hostile to pirates (unlike various other bits of pirate base and pirate raid logic)?
This has a couple of significant effects:
  • Pirate Activity condition is also applied to markets of factions not hostile to pirates
  • Pirate base can target a system with no valid raid targets (causing pirate activity), although it won't create the raid intel in that case
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62