Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351542 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2019, 12:42:06 AM »

Navigation skill still cuts down fleet fuel usage, it's just that it's technically applying it to particular ships and not fleet as whole (but since fleet fuel usage uses now-reduced ship fuel usage values, it decreases as well), which results in it showing up in the tooltip, like the maintenance reduction does.

Kulverstukass

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2019, 04:27:36 AM »

Am I'm missing, or there is no mention of situation, when colonized gas giant got name change, but retains original name on global (hyperspace) map?
Buckle up for broken english vocabulary, comrade!

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2019, 05:04:48 AM »

And in my opinion, since the free speed is caused by storm or neutron stars etc., we shouldn't pay fuel for the extra speed.

Fuel use needs to be per light year and speed independent or the fuel range circle would be lying to the player and unusable.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »

Wow, it;s always good to see an active developer fixing what appears to be lots of minor issues but has big gameplay effects.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »

I think conceptually, the stuff you're talking about is mostly covered by the income from Population & Infrastructure.

Is there a balance reason that this got changed?

The market value of player planets ended up being too-high a contributor to player income. Also, it had the counter-intuitive effect of something lowering demand on player colonies (good because it's easier for it to be met) also being bad due to decreasing the market value for that commodity and thus the player's income from exports. And, finally - as you point out - it's good to have the player's income be more dependent on outside partners.

Out of curiosity, if the player somehow destroys (or in Nex, takes over the sector) every non-player planet in the sector, does it imply planetary trade income will drop to zero by the end?  Is the population and infrastructure of large planets sufficient to pay the entire upkeep of said planet (i.e. are they potentially self-sufficient if they have all industries and make all goods?), or is the goal of being the only sector power as an end game goal non-viable due to insufficient credit generation near the end?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »

I would guess that as the market total is 0, then your income from exports is effectively 0 as well. The economy in starsector is all kinds of strange and nonsensical anyways.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »

Or it still take effect fleetwide, but would cut down the fuel use for each ship rather than calculate on the total fuel the fleet use, and showing its effect on every ship in the ship tooltip?

Exactly, yeah.

Do you mean in the past this calculation is wrong?

It was wrong just for display purposes, it was still deducting the correct (reduced) amount of fuel.

Am I'm missing, or there is no mention of situation, when colonized gas giant got name change, but retains original name on global (hyperspace) map?

It's on my list! Hopefully will be able to get to it.

Out of curiosity, if the player somehow destroys (or in Nex, takes over the sector) every non-player planet in the sector, does it imply planetary trade income will drop to zero by the end?  Is the population and infrastructure of large planets sufficient to pay the entire upkeep of said planet (i.e. are they potentially self-sufficient if they have all industries and make all goods?), or is the goal of being the only sector power as an end game goal non-viable due to insufficient credit generation near the end?

Right, the income from exports would drop to 0. Whether the income from P&I is enough depends on a lot of things - what the player has as far as upkeep reductions and income increases, how many industries and structures they have, the hazard rating of the colonies, etc.

I'm pretty sure a self-sufficient set of colonies at that point is possible, since you could get quite efficient with it if that was your specific goal. I'd also imagine a general-purpose set of colonies that relied on export income would have to be pared down quite a bit in terms of what industries and structures they have.

Wow, it;s always good to see an active developer fixing what appears to be lots of minor issues but has big gameplay effects.

Thank you!

I would guess that as the market total is 0, then your income from exports is effectively 0 as well. The economy in starsector is all kinds of strange and nonsensical anyways.

"You've literally killed off all your trade partners and therefore get no more money from trade" seems pretty sensible to me :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

I have a question about this global market exclusion mechanic: is it hardcoded, or is it possible to turn it off and return to present mechanics? Or, perhaps more interesting, can mods include or exclude particular markets or even factions from participating in the "global market"? Trade deals would be an interesting mechanic, one that would make relations above 0 matter as well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »

It's... a bit involved. Not really set up for toggling on and off, but mods can put markets in a separate economy group, which would be self-contained both as far as filling demand and income from exports.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »

Properly handling the only-one-faction-remaining case would probably require converting the economy to a resource-based system.
Instead of industries costing credits to operate/maintain and generating credits from exports, industries consume commodities (and labor) to maintain and to produce other commodities, which are in turn used by other industries. Some of these commodities would be diverted to the player's use, as supplies/fuel for fleet operations and for the custom production of ships, fighter wings and weapons.

The "upkeep reduction from in-faction supply" thing partly abstracts this, but at a mere 25% maximum reduction it's not going to work very well at simulating an autarkic economy.

Question: Do other factions also not include their own markets in calculating global market size? The difference is generally insignificant since NPCs don't care about credits, but it could be relevant for when the punitive expedition manager compares market shares of player and NPC exports.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »

Question: Do other factions also not include their own markets in calculating global market size? The difference is generally insignificant since NPCs don't care about credits, but it could be relevant for when the punitive expedition manager compares market shares of player and NPC exports.

Ah, these are two different things - the market value is based on demand for a commodity on non-player markets. The market share of each colony is based on its supply of the commodity, and that always includes player markets.

The market value only matters for the player's exports. In theory, it would also matter for non-player markets, and they would use a different market value that excludes their demand, but since that income doesn't matter (and it would be confusing to base it on a different market value and have to explain all that) the income of non-player colonies is simply no longer shown on the colony screen. (Since it would either be 1) inaccurate or 2) require computing another set of market values for no good reason.)

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »

In my first campaing on vanila 0.9 i blow-up every planet and station on sector. And my colonies still brought income. Just mounth income decreased from 3.000.000 to 200.000.

But Pirates and Luddic Path bases still spawning.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Also, no any Radiant-class changes?
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »

Also, no any Radiant-class changes?

Wasn't planning on any, no - what did you have in mind?

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »

Radiant-class in current moment too overpowered in comparison with all other capital ships. Radiant too hardy, too armed and too fast. No one of capitals available to player can`t effectivity fight against this ship. Except one. Paragon-class.

It completely kills all endgame period because if you want effectivity fight agains Remnants for AI cores you need Paragons. You dont need any another capital type because they a totaly useles when they faced agains Radiants. Force player always, every new game try to found one, concrete class of capitals it very bad idea for gameplay.

And Radiant have 40 deployment points, such 40 points have Onslaught or Conquest but what they can againts Radiant? Nothing. If Radiant for some reason loses a duel he just jumps back and comes back again. They can easy outjump Onslaught "Burn Drive"(also, they can easy kill Onslaught when he use Burn Drive) and outjump Conquest.

When fighting against Radiants one way to kill him it press it to corner of battle border. But this is normal gameplay?

Radiant must will have stats like battlecruiser for chance to kill him quickly or they will have less overpowered active system such as "Plasma Burn".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:34:09 AM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »

I don't think Radiant is impossible to kill with a Conquest or an Onslaught, nor do I think it's unfairly overpowered. It provides a good challenge and your fleet is much more important than what capital ship you use.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62