Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Terraforming  (Read 8825 times)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Terraforming
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:27:59 AM »

Limited terraforming already exist in the lore.

I find it absolutely warranted to add the ability to alter planetary effects by adding solar mirrors/shades to increase/decrease temperature for example

The problem is I have no idea how to go about doing this. I'll leave this thread here to share my idea while I go and research

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »

This seems like it shouldn't be too hard to implement, actually; we've got examples of an industry adding orbital structures in the star base code, and adding a completely new industry doesn't run into any of the problems that I had with altering the planetary shield generator.

The tricky part is going to be making it lore-compatible; complex terraforming projects are one of the first things that broke down after the Domain's gates stopped working.  You'd need to justify it with lost blueprints like the Red Planet mission, or possibly rare special-purpose autofactories like the synchrotron cores.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Toranet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »

Well first part is blueprints and parts, then you need to build something realy expensive due to those thing beying planet affecting machines and structures and then you would need to wait for a lot of time, like a LOT of time, several years at the least for any effect to happen or it wont be all that realistic.

Still I totaly love the idea

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »

I believe that the two types of terraforming that the player should always have (less because of lore, more because it makes dangerous planets more valuable) are solar shades and solar mirrors (or stellar shades and mirrors, I guess), to decrease the impact of hot and cold modifiers, respectively (and maybe also "poor light" in the latter case). Anything more complicated than that (like atmosphere (re)creation station, gene-tailored biosphere, etc) should be subject to quests, to make them require effort from the player and become more personal.

Toranet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »

You also forget throwing ice asteroids on desert worlds to turn them into Arid))

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:08:37 PM »

Being able to set up makeshift solar mirrors or shades also adds quite a nice wrinkle if you can flag them as attackable/capturable targets like the current deployable structures, since then pirate raids can also ruin your habitability until you recapture/reconstruct them.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

Stellar Shades/Mirrors, are fully within realm of tech of modern-day Earth, so they should not be an issue for a civ with the know-how of building giant spaceships. Call them "makeshift" like comm relays to emphasise the difference between the old Domain Tech. To some extent shades and mirrors could mitigate Hot/Cold and to lesser extent Irradiated.

The only other plausible one is is "artificial illumination sattelites" for mitigating "Dark" planets

The rest of terraforming should probably remain lost Domain-era tech.

Captain Draco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »

Good point to start the quest would be Ithaca the planet which was in middle of terraforming when gates were sabotaged by 3T AI failed. Of course as for now it makes no sense that big four allow player to take best planet and just colonize them it would be far more believable you would need commission, really good standing with one of mayor faction and maybe even extra bribe fee for colony charter the way colonies were established on old Earth.