Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Check compatible hullmods against a skin file rather than the base hull  (Read 1793 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

This comes following this bug report on Disassemble Reassemble: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12360.msg243093#msg243093

Relevant image:
Spoiler
[close]

The "Black Arrow" shown is a skin variant of another ship called the Red Arrow. Among other contrivances, the Red Arrow sports a single fighter bay with a unique built-in wing. The skin for the Black Arrow includes a hidden hullmod that removes the fighter bay, however as shown in the above report a damaged version of it still somehow acquires carrier-related hullmods.

I have a theory that this is because hullmod compatibility checks - in this scenario of D-mod application - only look at the base hull file, rather than changes made by the skin. Would it be possible to change this? As otherwise the only fix on my end is to make the Black Arrow a fresh hull rather than a skin (which I'd rather not do unless I really have to).

Additionally: The Black Arrow skin does *not* restore to the base Red Arrow hull, and neither version of the ship has a "CARRIER" AI tag.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:49:32 PM by AxleMC131 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Check compatible hullmods against a skin file rather than the base hull
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »

It checks against the skin, but the way it works, it doesn't take into account the effect of hullmods on the skin, since that would require applying ship stats to a fleet member's stats, etc. It also would not take into account the effect of built-in hullmods on the base hull.

To consider the effect of built-in mods, it would have to apply just the built-in mods (so that, for example, ships with CH didn't start getting carrier d-mods), and that's awkward to do just given how stuff is structured.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »

Darn.  ;D Ah well, I knew there'd be a good reason for it. I'll see if I can either bodge together some kind of fix, or if that fails I'll just make it a fresh hull (depending on how annoying this "bug" is for people).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »

Yeah, in your shoes I'd probably make it a different hull.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »

That'll be plan B. ;) Plan A will be to take the existing built-in hullmod that removes the fighter bay, and give it an additional bit that forcibly, manually removes the carrier-related D-mods if it finds them.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »

As an alternative, try making it so that instead of the skin removing a fighter bay, the base hull has a hidden hull mod that adds one?  That would prevent the base hull from getting fighter-related d-mods, but, well, most of the time that's not really appropriate for ships with single built-in fighter bays anyway - see, for example, the relative value of a Tempest with fighter-based d-mods versus a Tempest with degraded engines or faulty power grid.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.