Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a] Less annoying faction-pestering player for running without transponder  (Read 1139 times)

Ragni

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'll describe a user scenario and where I find the feature annoying, and where it is justified.

The most annoying one:
> Commissioned by Hegemony, with good track record, relations +50
> Hunt for pirates in Hegemony system, obviously trying to sneak up on them
Hegemony picket instantly zips at me (spawns on my head from hyperspace): "OY DO YOU HAVE A LOICENCE FOR GOING DARK M8?"
It makes sense that Hegemony wants to figure out what hides in the darkness, but reducing relations every bloody time ? It becomes annoying very fast.

Where above is OK:
If one is going Dark near any Hegemony assets as one might be smuggling something or approaching for sudden Blitzkrieg.

Suggestion:
Penalise player relations for being Dark only when near that faction assets (any orbital structure/planet)
It would make sense for player to be "plugged in" to the encrypted communications network of a certain faction when they have enough reputation thus causing faction to know who you are even if you are running dark.

Some thoughts about the current mechanic/design:
- there can be point made that Hegemony owns a certain sector and their word is the law - in this case what are we going to do about sectors that have assets across multiple factions ? It makes that much more sense to have the transponder rule be enforced depending on proximity to installations.
- the change would actually not impact old design as one would want to go dark only when approaching specific targets either to smuggle/hack/attack/dodge/hide, the change would only benefit the fun mechanic of sneaking/evading enemies without space-police ruining your OP.
- relation penalty thus could be increased, because approaching military-zone without identifying is a serious breach.
- players often forget to turn on transponders and this would happen more often if suggested feature would be implemented, this indicates that there is a problem with the whole transponder mechanic in itself, i am not sure what to say about this, right click icon to control transponder being ON/OFF by itself ? This actually makese sense, as there is no actual benefit of always running with transponder ON where it is not penalised therefore it can be turned OFF when leaving restricted zones and turned ON when approaching proximity zone, with added control to force ON or OFF.
- in reality we dont see special forces being stopped in middle of their operation by police because they are wearing balaclavas and "look funny".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:09:35 PM by Ragni »

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile

little additional note:

AI patrols chase only player, everyone else with transponder off are perfectly fine and have no issues at all.
looks like chasing player with transponder off is number one priority, they will fly half sector and abandon anything else, ever ignore hostile fleets just to annoy player

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile

I'll describe a user scenario and where I find the feature annoying, and where it is justified.

The most annoying one:
> Commissioned by Hegemony, with good track record, relations +50
> Hunt for pirates in Hegemony system, obviously trying to sneak up on them
Hegemony picket instantly zips at me (spawns on my head from hyperspace): "OY DO YOU HAVE A LOICENCE FOR GOING DARK M8?"
It makes sense that Hegemony wants to figure out what hides in the darkness, but reducing relations every bloody time ? It becomes annoying very fast.

Where above is OK:
If one is going Dark near any Hegemony assets as one might be smuggling something or approaching for sudden Blitzkrieg.

Suggestion:
Penalise player relations for being Dark only when near that faction assets (any orbital structure/planet)
It would make sense for player to be "plugged in" to the encrypted communications network of a certain faction when they have enough reputation thus causing faction to know who you are even if you are running dark.

Some thoughts about the current mechanic/design:
- there can be point made that Hegemony owns a certain sector and their word is the law - in this case what are we going to do about sectors that have assets across multiple factions ? It makes that much more sense to have the transponder rule be enforced depending on proximity to installations.
- the change would actually not impact old design as one would want to go dark only when approaching specific targets either to smuggle/hack/attack/dodge/hide, the change would only benefit the fun mechanic of sneaking/evading enemies without space-police ruining your OP.
- relation penalty thus could be increased, because approaching military-zone without identifying is a serious breach.
- players often forget to turn on transponders and this would happen more often if suggested feature would be implemented, this indicates that there is a problem with the whole transponder mechanic in itself, i am not sure what to say about this, right click icon to control transponder being ON/OFF by itself ? This actually makese sense, as there is no actual benefit of always running with transponder ON where it is not penalised therefore it can be turned OFF when leaving restricted zones and turned ON when approaching proximity zone, with added control to force ON or OFF.
- in reality we dont see special forces being stopped in middle of their operation by police because they are wearing balaclavas and "look funny".

Old thread but I do concur, there should also be other situations where they shouldn't bother with the transponder:  Your Fleet strength is so overwhelming that the patrol that asks cannot hope to even run away in time (so instead they just maintain contact as if you were hostile) and after you make a faction with a certain size or production output (diplomatic immunity).  It's really awkward when you get pestered as the most powerful faction in the sector about the transponders when your fleet could easily go and saturate bomb the core worlds in a single afternoon of idle button pushing.  There's upholding the law, and then there's risking annihilation over someone's head lights not being on.  Another thing is if you do attack them for being stupid enough to pester you while your transponder is on it causes a massive faction dip even though they don't know who you are (and if they did, they'd not be stupid enough to ask).