Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why is there friendly fire?  (Read 7931 times)

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Why is there friendly fire?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »

By the looks of it, it takes too long for a missile like Annihilator to travel from max range, so the shooter may think there's no friendies in the way. Except it's possible to drift into the line of fire or have the enemy hide behind you while a missile salvo is taking place. The Rocket Launcher version of it fires 5 missiles before it can stop, and I had two of them equipped, plus the bigger Pod in the front.

I think your problem is with the behavior of the ships getting hit (not prioritizing staying out of the way of friendly dumb-fire missiles) rather than with the behavior of the ship firing the missiles.

Bigger ships can hardly choose whether they will be hit, because of both momentum and sheer size. The way combat works, I've been wondering if even my small ships were disabled by friendly fire sometimes.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »

I've been hit by bomb bay bombs quite a few times, usually when i think combat is over and I drift into a bunch of bombs, though to be honest I think the AI recognising friendly fire opportunities is pretty good.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »

Previously I tried equipping Mules with lots of Annihilator missile packs, which they promptly emptied into my engines.

If you could provide more detail about when/how that happens, that could be helpful in tracking this down. They're supposed to avoid friendly fire - and mostly do - so some specifics here would be really nice.

I can chime in on this. Annihilators are problematic mostly in the small mounts because the AI (as I feel) does not take into account the spread pattern of the missiles. I get bit in the ass by Annihilators occasionally, and most of the time it's from the 4-shot small mount version.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »

I was hit often by allied mines in defense of allied high tier orbital station if its count.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

Previously I tried equipping Mules with lots of Annihilator missile packs, which they promptly emptied into my engines.

If you could provide more detail about when/how that happens, that could be helpful in tracking this down. They're supposed to avoid friendly fire - and mostly do - so some specifics here would be really nice.

Most of my encounters with friendly fire happened with burst-style weapons or random-pattern weapons, the AI considers the initial firing sequence but if anything happens during, like the gun switching target to something else (due to R or target dying), it'll just spray over it. I've seen it /so/ often with Needlers as well as Annihilators, but it's very obvious with bombs since once they commit to the burst, that's what's happening. I don't have an example on hand, and the reasons vary, with Annihilators it's based on the fact that the AI seems to not consider 'what's behind/next' to the target that much, and given the spray of the weaponsystem, anything else it hits is collateral damage. I'm reasonably sure this can be tested with a mock gun that has a huge spray range cone, say 180 degrees, with friendlies in it, and a valid target, and the AI will probably just spam it no matter the collateral.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:22:42 PM by Cosmitz »

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »

I've suffered from FF, Piranhas are often a big culprit.  I've also seen friendly-fire incidents when ship's are trying to shoot down hostile fighters and miss.  Usually it's small PD stuff but sometimes my ship or another one will get their rear shot up by a heavy blaster or ion weapons, and in one particularly memorable moment I got hit by a friendly with a heavy ion blaster from the SWP mod.  The front lines is not the best place to lose control of all engines and weapon systems...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »

maybe -- friendly fire for the player only?? TBH I can't think of a single case in which AI friendly fire improves player experience -- at best it highlights gaps in the AI. At best
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 [2]