Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 111

Author Topic: [0.96a] Tahlan Shipworks  (Read 1105053 times)

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Tahlan Shipworks 0.8.4
« Reply #1035 on: May 10, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »

I feel like I see a different Legio than everyone else.   I have played many games with Tahlan and in all of them I've just ignored legio.   They usually get killed by other in factions in my games, in fact. 

I've never seen that.  What I have seen in about half the games is that one of the first invasions they do is the capital planet or key heavy industry/military planet of some faction or other, and they always, always win.  Which takes that faction right out of the game, bam, bye, done, before they had any impact on the game at all.  And when Legio does that to several in a row - which I have seen happen - I do have to wonder what exactly the mod author is really trying for. 

For "player challenge", they need to be tactically difficult / interesting and strategically resilient.  I won't speak to the tactical side of it - I have managed to get to the point of knocking out the Lucifron or Melchiresa star fortress within the first year of play, although it takes focus and a fair amount of cheese, and the more I work at the problem the more I find ways of optimizing my approach.  It's made me get better at the game and I'm not complaining about that.

I wouldn't mind - I would be rather in favor of - a steadily increasing drumroll of threat.  But the curve should be a lot shallower in the absence of the hard mode trigger.  I see nonstop failed invasions of Lucifron by all the NPC factions and that's totally fine - it's strategic resilience.  What I do mind is that Legio goes straight for the throat and wins, right off the bat, every time.  And Legio conquests don't often get taken back.  Which turns the game into a sort of Kohr-Ah death march, except it starts immediately rather than being an endgame phenomenon.

If I want to play a game of just me vs Legio, I can do that; I don't need to include other factions.  If a player does include other factions, that should mean more than just buffering the time it takes Legio to swallow everything.

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 10, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »

The Legio was fine when I played it, but I had Nex on as well. They were just pirates but slightly better and got wiped out pretty quickly. I had a non-core starting system where I struggled with upkeep and didn't have heavy industry and a military base yet and they decided to attack me.

Fighting a Dun Scaith with the help of a friendly ORA fleet was pretty fun. Fighting whatever the hell they apparently are usually just sounds like a massive pain, especially if they get cheats.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 10, 2022, 08:47:41 PM »

You see that kinda the main problem, you need other powerful modded faction to overwhelm Legio if you refuse to do so then say good bye to other content. I want to see what Brighton has to offer, I want to see what Kadur Remnant has to offer, I want to see what other mod brings to the table, but no, Legio will conquer them all unless you install faction mod that can overwhelm which make them soft requirement unless you the player get through a slogfest war to kill them right after the game start or outright disable them in .ini setting.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

The_White_Falcon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 14, 2022, 05:23:57 PM »

Out of curiosity, what would I need to do to change the stats on the cinderblade (tahlan_castigator_pxiv)?  The ship isn't listed in the ship_data file which means it's using the base stats of one of the castigators (probably the xiv variant) and modifying the skin only.  I always believed that the ship should be the fastest out of the castigator variants (i mean, it has all those extra engines, you'd think it'd make a difference), but that currently isn't the case.  Is there a way to edit the stats (at least the base speed) of the Cinderblade castigator variant; and if so, how?

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 14, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »

Out of curiosity, what would I need to do to change the stats on the cinderblade (tahlan_castigator_pxiv)?  The ship isn't listed in the ship_data file which means it's using the base stats of one of the castigators (probably the xiv variant) and modifying the skin only.  I always believed that the ship should be the fastest out of the castigator variants (i mean, it has all those extra engines, you'd think it'd make a difference), but that currently isn't the case.  Is there a way to edit the stats (at least the base speed) of the Cinderblade castigator variant; and if so, how?

It has the same amount of extra engines as the Legio Castigator. Both of which have the Legio hullmod that increases their speed.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

The_White_Falcon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 14, 2022, 07:17:39 PM »

It has the same amount of extra engines as the Legio Castigator. Both of which have the Legio hullmod that increases their speed.

I stand corrected, can't believe I didn't notice that.  However I'm still curious about being able to edit that specific hull (if for anything than simple curiosity's sake at this point).  IS there a simple solution towards that (like add the tahlan_castigator_pxiv entry/stats into ship_hulls)?

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 15, 2022, 05:05:08 AM »

There isn't really a simple way of doing it due to the way I rigged it up

war3scv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 16, 2022, 07:07:36 AM »

ships are so cool..weapons are so cool but consider buff them a bit? 60DP cool looking alien ship crush by vanilla onslaught, 80DP battleship crush by vanilla paragon 28OP railgun deal 200 dps. can't find reason to use them except they are so cool...

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 16, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »

None of them need buffs. If you can't make them worth using, that's on you there.

war3scv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 16, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »

None of them need buffs. If you can't make them worth using, that's on you there.
Well didn't expect that answer, don't get cross they still cool nonetheless. I guess onslaughts will live to slaught another day haha.
(they all beat up conquest though just like vanilla time, poor conquest woe with you...weep not, I'ii buff you...)

war3scv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 16, 2022, 07:17:54 PM »

well..vanilla weapon40vs55 40vs44. and I'm horrible bump my own capital ships to death kind of pilot. but again no offence, full respect to you and any other modder for made those wonderful mods:)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:23:06 PM by war3scv »

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 17, 2022, 11:59:10 PM »

An Onslaught with one of the lowest flux builds that are still viable is not something to be laughed off.  Especially in the hands of a player.

Hell, the weapon variety of the Onslaught is one of its greatest weaknesses.  The three large mounts should be able to engage just about anything, but the TPCs eat up all the flux and prevent you from using two of the large mounts at once.

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 19, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

Any way to remove the Halbmond intel after we're done with it? It seems to not remove itself even if you recover the other ship.

kysil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 21, 2022, 10:59:43 PM »

Can i ask if there's a Great Houses only ship pack?

Killsode

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 22, 2022, 01:28:58 AM »

Any way to remove the Halbmond intel after we're done with it? It seems to not remove itself even if you recover the other ship.

probably best to just unimportant it and ignore it
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 111